Reener77
    Reener77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7006

Phoenix -172 over Edmonton

I like Phoenix -172 over Edmonton tonight and here's why:

Phoenix are in the thick of the playoff race and have won 3 straight, including a big win in Calgary on Tuesday. Normally when teams play Edmonton and Calgary on the road they go back to back, but Phoenix had the extra day off yesterday in between games.

The main reason for this pick, however, is the Oilers' injury situation. They're already missing their top 3 scorers, Hemsky, Hall and Gagner. They just lost another 3 forwards, Horcoff, Brule and Jacques to injury. So they had to call up 3 AHLers, but their farm team OKC is in the middle of a playoff race of their own, and played Tuesday and Wednesday night, so the Oilers waited until after last night's game to make the 3 call-ups. So those 3 players will be on their third game in as many nights, having just flown into Edmonton from Grand Rapids. Add this to the fact that the Oilers already have 3 forwards up who started the year in the AHL, so basically 6 of their 12 forwards tonight are AHLers, and another forward Steve MacIntyre is a fighter who maybe plays 2 minutes a game.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Excellent info on this one, I was leaning Phoenix and going to jump on it now before the line moves, which I suspect it will.

Reener77

Just found out Khabibulin is starting in net for the Oilers. This is good news for Phoenix as Dubnyk has been the far stronger goalie for the Oilers this season.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

you guys are looking at this all wrong

The Oilers problem this year has been keeping pucks outta their own net, regardless of who's in goal. But they've been much better for awhile now, so don't think starting Khabibulin is a plus for Phoenix, because it ain't.

In fact, Khabibulin is a vet who knows Phoenix much better than Dubnyk, and Dubnyk's made repeat rookie mistakes against Phoenix this year.

You're also overestimating the impact of Edmonton's injuries, because these guys don't score many goals to begin with.

As for Edmonton's wipeout road trip, what did you expect against Washington, Philly, and Detroit?

Trust me, you guys are laying megajuice w/Phoenix for all the wrong reasons

Reener77

Khabibulin: 3.37 GAA, 0.892 Save %

Dubnyk: 2.83 GAA, 0.913 Save %

How is that not a plus for Phoenix?

And the Oilers are 28th out of 30 teams in goals scored this year. So keeping pucks outta their own net hasn't been their only problem.

Whippit

those are stale numbers at this point because they ballooned early in the season when Edomonton gave up 4-6 goals/game regardless of the opponent. They don't represent current performance. They also don't reflect how Phoenix rapes Dubnyk every time out.

That's why Oilers are starting Khabibulin tonite. The newbs on ice for Edmonton will play hard, but like I said they don't score much anyway, so losing "goal scorers" by Edmonton standards ain't like Anaheim losing Perry or Calgary losing Iginla

Look at the Islanders, I'll bet you can't name 1 stiff on that team but the amateur callups are scoring tons of goals

Main question is if Edmonton comes to play. If they do, they can win. I think they will because even though they're losing tough road games, they're not mailing it in like Colorado.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

EDM can win on any given night and they definitely play to win against every team. I went with PHX in regulation before realizing that Bryzgalov (spelling) is due to rest tonight-probably a wise call for the team but it definitely increases EDM's chances. I would still call PHX but there's a chance for EDM I suppose. Good luck

Reener77

Hope you guys didn't go with edm tonight. I live here and I know my shit. Nice try though

Reener77

And the isles have grabner, parenteau, Tavares, nielsen, okposo etc don't question my knowledge please

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Looked like a good win by PHX. Figured they had a good shot at taking it in RT-still say EDM puts in a full effort every game but they're just depleted right now. Another season or two and they should be solid. Chees

pepper60000
    pepper60000's Avatar Become A Pro!

nice pick on phoenix...oilers were brutal tonight...

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by Whippit View Post
    those are stale numbers at this point because they ballooned early in the season when Edomonton gave up 4-6 goals/game regardless of the opponent. They don't represent current performance. They also don't reflect how Phoenix rapes Dubnyk every time out.

That's why Oilers are starting Khabibulin tonite. The newbs on ice for Edmonton will play hard, but like I said they don't score much anyway, so losing "goal scorers" by Edmonton standards ain't like Anaheim losing Perry or Calgary losing Iginla

Look at the Islanders, I'll bet you can't name 1 stiff on that team but the amateur callups are scoring tons of goals

Main question is if Edmonton comes to play. If they do, they can win. I think they will because even though they're losing tough road games, they're not mailing it in like Colorado.
    Good points, but the key was here if they come to play the "can" win, and I agree with that, but even with a full effort they would still not be favored to win. You knew Phoenix was going to come out hard and play hard till the end, they are the better team and don't have the injuries Colorado does.

Whippit

post-game posts are always entertaining

Reener77

Pretty sure I posted all that shit pre-game. Nice try Whippit. You're an idiot.

Whippit

no problem

its games like this that keep you keeping me in business over the long haul

Reener77

How so? I gave great information on the Oilers injury situation seeing how I live in Edmonton. You chose to ignore it. Not my problem.

Whippit

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or just pulling my leg

Reener77

Really buddy? You're an idiot. How is betting on an AHL team vs a team fighting for a playoff spot keeping you in business in the long haul? You're an idiot. I'm dead serious.

Whippit

then why are you so upset after winning your bet?

Reener77

I'm not upset, I'm quite happy actually. It's fuckers like you giving me bullshit after I post a winning pick that pisses me off

Whippit

you don't sound happy, in fact you admit to being pissed in the same sentence

you must be pissed about something......I'm guessing you lost $$$ on something you're not admitting to

was it New Jersey? I mean, the Devils are fighting for their playoff lives against an AHL team

was it Chicago? LA? who?

Reener77

Nope, my only wager tonight was Phoenix.

Reener77

I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with a skunk - you'll lose every time

Whippit

wow that's pretty lucky

Reener77

Based on my analysis, yes it was very lucky