dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38325

1st Period Hockey Total Calculation Help

[COLOR=#000000 ! important] I noticed at many books that for the 1st period of hockey, you can bet the over/under and almost always its 1.5 goals. Usually its -115 on one side and -105 on the other. Sometimes its -110 both ways or it could be heavily juiced on the under if the total is a 5. I think they might have 2 as well if the total is 6 or 6.5 correct?

I noticed that bodog allows you to bet the exact number of goals in one period. For example, let say you have these odds for a hockey game where the total is 5.5 and juice on over/under is -105 for both. I'm using the -105 juice from another book such as 5dimes because their juice is less than bodog.

The odds for 1st period goals are for bodog

0 Goals +370
    1 Goal +190
    2 Goals +215
    3 or More Goals +240

I don't know how to calculate these things but these odds came from bodog. But if you liked the Under 1.5 goals for 1st period, it would be better taking under 1.5 for -105 as oppose to betting on 0 goals and 1 goal exactly right? Can someone tell me what odds i would be laying if i took 0 goals for +370 and 1 goal for +190 since this bet is the same as under 1.5 goals for 1st period.

Lets just make the calculation easy and use $100 as the base amount. If i took under 1.5 goals for 1st period, i would be laying 105 to win 100. But what if i did the separate bets instead where i tried to win 100 as the base amount? I have to assume the odds have to be a lot worst since these came from Bodog. If you ever bet on a 1st period goals, it would be bad mathwise to bet on 2 out of the 4 choices right since the odds are always worst?
    [/COLOR]

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38325

Also, would you guys agree that 3 or more goals is probably the best bet for the exact 1st period goals if one was to bet blindly? 0 goals is extremely hard which is why the odds are so high. 1 goal or 2 goals is always the most common exact goals. Buts 3 or more goals seem a lot better to me because you need 3 and you win. They can score 3, 4 , 5 or 6 etc though i almost never seen more than 6 goals in the 1st period.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Bodog's 1st period odds and totals are retarded I wouldn't touch them Also I would say 1 is probably the most common 1st period total especially for teams like Washington and Nashville. For higher scoring teams 2 is probably the most common total. GL if you figure out a system to beat Bodog's 1st period setup I would be curious to see how you do.

Tackleberry
    Tackleberry's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    Also, would you guys agree that 3 or more goals is probably the best bet for the exact 1st period goals if one was to bet blindly? 0 goals is extremely hard which is why the odds are so high. 1 goal or 2 goals is always the most common exact goals. Buts 3 or more goals seem a lot better to me because you need 3 and you win. They can score 3, 4 , 5 or 6 etc though i almost never seen more than 6 goals in the 1st period.
    There is no simple way to answer this question. What I would suggest doing is the following. Come up with the expected average goal production for the first period of the game when the two team play each other. This should not be all that hard to do crudely as goals scored by period can be found on NHL.com. Take this data and determine the probability of each number of goals occuring. Convert those probabilities into american odds and see if value exists in bodogs lines. Because of the small market size it is very possible to identify soft lines with a very basic and crude method. You don't need to be perfect, you just need to be better than bodog.

Searching the think tank and on google will give you all the knowledge you need to do this. Excel is your friend also.