bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jaromir Jagr gives back record goal

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jaromir Jagr had no choice but to be honest. He could already see the screaming headlines if he accepted a record-setting goal he knew wasn't his.

"Cheater," Jagr portrayed the headlines.

For a few minutes it appeared that Jagr broke Adam Graves' team record for goals in a season, but in reality he never touched the puck. The goal was changed and given to Martin Straka , who ended up with two Thursday night in the New York Rangers 3-1 victory over the New York Islanders.

Chants of "M-V-P" rained down throughout Madison Square Garden when it was announced that Jagr had his 53rd goal. Rangers coach Tom Renney even called Jagr back to the bench before the next faceoff as fans saluted him again.
    But when the buzzer sounded to end the second period moments later, Jagr skated over to the referee.

I said I didn't touch it and it wasn't my goal," Jagr said. "Can you imagine if they would give it to me and after the game you guys would ask me the stupid questions over and over and over forever?"

Before the start of the third period, an announcement was made that the goal was Straka's and drew groans and a few boos. Straka's pass into the slot struck the skate of Islanders forward Wyatt Smith -- not Jagr -- and deflected in behind goalie Rick DiPeetro.
    "I tried to pass to him, and then they boo me when I score a goal," Straka said. "I told him, 'Keep the goal. I don't want to hear the booing."'

There you go, Jagr is running a clean and honest campaign for MVP

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's good he was honest before the press ripped him to shreads