This game has been at the centre of hockey highlights and NHL controversy all weekend, however I have not really given my thoughts and would like to use this venue to do so. I am not going to recap everything that went on. If you would like to watch the "sideshow", it can be found here.
Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:
1. DiPietro challenged Johnson. Dont be mad about it. It was one of the stupidest things he could have done. Although injury to any athlete is nothing to be laughed, prior to knowing the damage, many hockey fans found the one punch knockdown entertaining.
What you should learn from this incident: Johnson does not need to be retaliated against.
2. Callups. Islanders send a very clear message the type of hockey they want to play. Instead of flaunting the fact they were up 4-0 after a phenomenal first period they lose all class.
What you should learn from this incident: Isles ego is hurt, they want to prove their toughness.
3. NHL shadiness. I love this league as much as anybody, but sometimes I find it very unprofessional. Too many conversations behind closed doors. Suspensions without explanation. In a court of law the judge makes the reasons for his decision very clear...it is WRITTEN. The NHL should follow suit. Why does one suspension receive 4 games and another receives 9? EXPLAIN PLEASE. Is there a scale with which these penalties are weighed? The only suspension that was clear was Godards because it is outlined in the rules, but when you compare the severity of one incident to another it does not make a lot of sense. At least in my head.
What you should learn from this incident: Create some standards.
4. Mario Lemieux. 100% money. Forget Matt Cooke, forget Sidney Crosby, forget Johnson, forget all the Pens. He is right. The league needs to make this WAY bigger than they seem to treat it. Intent to injure can be very apparent in the actions of the athletes on the ice Friday. Of course he is not going to walk away, but the fact that he would say that describes a situation that is more serious than the league seems to think. If I was as classless as Garth Snow and the no name coach who is on the bench these days for this shitty hockey organization I would be sure to call up all sorts of farm team nobodies for their NHL debut too. That way, I would have a limitless lineup of goons only too willing to break their fists on NHL regulars all so that they get "noticed." Thank god, Bylsma is not that reckless and the Pens will completely dominate the Islanders when that time comes. Do we want rivalries to turn into perpetual one-ups of who will win each new brawl? NO, regardless of what some paper pusher says about increased ratings in American markets who really do not give a shit.
What you should learn from this incident: Every game could feature a team trying to "send a message" to another team. From a young age my parents taught me the best way to gain the respect of the opposition is to outscore them, not beat them up. Too bad that was not enough for Isles.

A lot of my other points are summarized in Elliot Friedmans article. If Friday night's events actually does have some importance to you, then I recommend you read it.