Pap45murF
    Pap45murF's Avatar Become A Pro!

New hockey bettor with some queries

Howdy. I expanded my betting to NBA this year and was very pleased with the results. So now, I'm thinking of trying hockey. Problem is... unlike the NBA, I don't watch hockey and I know nothing about hockey. Is this a sign that I should stay away, lol? I also know very little about baseball but that didn't stop me from profiting last year just basing my decisions on starting pitchers and team records.

What do I look for in hockey to guide my choices? Does "home court/field/rink" have as big effect as other sports? Isn't it just ice, how can home ice make a difference?

Do I go with spreads or ML's? Like for instance, just glancing at today's matchups, I notice that the Canucks seem much better than the Blues... why would I not just bet the not-so-juiced-up ML of -135?

And lastly, if I bet ML's, do I get my money back in the event of a tie?

Thanks for any help.

Pap45murF

Oh, and in the spirit of SBRforum, could you alternate helpful responses with snooty condescending responses? Perhaps a suggestion to go copulate with myself? Thanks in advance.

dvw5bf
    dvw5bf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Pap45murF View Post

Thanks for any help.
    ML bets are the complete game so there won't be a tie, if your team wins in OT or a shootout, you win. If they lose in either, you lose.

jonnyboy21
    jonnyboy21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1455

Quote Originally Posted by Pap45murF View Post
    Howdy. I expanded my betting to NBA this year and was very pleased with the results. So now, I'm thinking of trying hockey. Problem is... unlike the NBA, I don't watch hockey and I know nothing about hockey. Is this a sign that I should stay away, lol? I also know very little about baseball but that didn't stop me from profiting last year just basing my decisions on starting pitchers and team records.

What do I look for in hockey to guide my choices? Does "home court/field/rink" have as big effect as other sports? Isn't it just ice, how can home ice make a difference?

Do I go with spreads or ML's? Like for instance, just glancing at today's matchups, I notice that the Canucks seem much better than the Blues... why would I not just bet the not-so-juiced-up ML of -135?

Thanks for any help.
    Hockey is a fantastic sport but you don't have to be an avid fan to bet on it.

I recommend starting small as you increase your knowledge. I think it helps a lot to gain knowledge about the teams in hockey - I certainly don't rely on stats alone and trends. So I do recommend watching some games as it will certainly aid your betting to learn more about the sport and the league.

Home ice is definitely significant but teams tend to win on the road more in hockey than in most sports on average. But nonetheless, several teams will thrive under the psychological advantage of their home fans cheering them on and the great atmosphere that they provide.

Betting on the ML includes OT/SO if the game is tied after regulation.

As for spreads/ML's, it's mainly about personal preference but I bet mainly ML with the occasional puckline where I perceive there to be particularly good value; for example, the Anaheim Ducks were playing at the Edmonton Oilers last night and I liked the 60 minutes line, but I also really liked the look of the Ducks PL (-1.5) at +200. The Ducks won 4-0 and so I cashed on both bets.

Hope this helps and GL - if you'd like a starting point you might want to tail some of the well respected hockey bettors on this forum; you can check out my thread and I also recommend guys like hot wings, el capitan and gigicash.

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Vancouver -135 ML is a good bet IMO. It's not so juiced cuz they are on the road and st-louis has a decent home record.
    Vancouver should win this.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Bet as little chalk as possible. For example if you like a team around -140 or so bet them in regulation. 95% of the time if they are relatively low chalk you will get a +$ number on them. You will save lots long term doing this and increase your profit while limiting your losses when things don't go your way. There is a lot more variance in hockey with big upsets as opposed to NBA and NFL so don't be betting -200+ teams on a regular occasion.

Home ice makes a difference but it isn't as important as the NBA for example. Totals are good as well you just have to know which teams like to play a wide open end to end game and which teams sit back and wait for the other team to make mistakes.

Lots of good cappers around here to help you out as well. Watch some games to get a feel of how the game flows etc and you will do fine. GL.

Pap45murF

Thanks for all the info guys! The hockey forum seems to be more friendly than the others. One last question. The way you guys are talking about my ML question, it seems like ties can't happen because of the shootouts... but the 3rd number on the team record is the amount of times they've tied right? As in the shootouts were inconclusive. That's correct, right? Or am I really that stupid? I can only learn so much from watching the Mighty Ducks. Or if it's tied after regulation, does it get chalked up as a tie, regardless of shootout outcome?

I live in Columbus, so you think I would care more about hockey since I can basically see the Blue Jackets rink (arena/stadium?) from my house... but I just don't.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

3rd number is over time losses, a overtime win counts as a regular win but a overtime loss its a separate category because the team gets 1 point for an over time loss and 0 points for a loss in regular time.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

If you really know nothing at all about hockey just tail DG until you get more of an understanding of if, no jinx, but he has been very good during the 2nd half of the season.

Pap45murF

Thanks. I will check out his thread until I get used to the lingo and the swing of things.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

If a game goes to overtime, both teams get a point in the standings, so the third number represents overtime losses.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I was too slow.

Pap45murF

Hey LT, I thought you had left the forum. I used to follow you a year or 2 ago, but you disappeared. You hiding in the hockey section now?

P.S. I thought the "points" following the record was the total goals they've scored. Lol. I've got a lot of work to do.