Locke
    Locke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2444

Overtime Changes

So I heard from a friend a few months ago that there was some conversation amongst the GMs about changing the format of the overtime. Instead of 4v4 then shutout it would instead play out as the following:
    -4v4 (5min)
    -3v3 (3min)
    -2v2 (3 min)
    -shootout
    The hope being that very few games would actually make it to a shootout. I suppose the teams with "talent" are thinking that too many games are being decided, against them i presume, by the shootout.
    I have only found the following article to support this rumour, found here
    has anyone heard anything about this, or have any thoughts on problems/benefits with this possible change?

Vindicate
    Vindicate's Avatar Become A Pro!

2v2 would be something to watch thats for sure

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like it the way it is now, overtime that is. Anything less than 4 v 4 would be retarded.

WestyBONE
    WestyBONE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 220

Haven't heard of this but it would be entertaining to see some 2v2 for a little bit.. My personal opion is that overtime should be decided by a center ice goalie fight, as that is the only true way of seeing who the better goalie is. Its like a shootout but with fists.

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

sounds kinda dumb. but it should be entertaining for a few games. then it gets silly. lolz.

Locke
    Locke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2444

decided by a center ice goalie fight
    HAHA that might bring emery to the top of the standings, kolzig could come out of retirement to take any team to the playoffs, and jonathon roy might make the NHL! what a world that would be. it would be "hockey night in canada followed by amateur boxing night in the penalty box".

minor league hockey games feature many 3v3 and 2v2 overtime contests, tournaments and such. the cause is that the ice is rented for an hour or two and the game simply has to end by a certain time. while i think it would be just as exciting, if not more, and preferable to a shootout, i am strongly against changing something that is working for the fans. im by no means against "change", but the current NHL product is very entertaining, and the league should be cautious before making an alteration this substantial...as im sure they will be. they will likely try it during the summer in some of shanahan's "camps"

Mini19
    Mini19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Anything less than 3v3 is dumb.. No point in playing 2v2 cuz it would pretty much be the same two ppl out there the whole tine since it would be kinda hard to make a line change without the other team takin advantage of it

Chucker
    Chucker's Avatar Become A Pro!

I heard there was a gm proposing an extension on OT to 8 mins and getting rid of the shootout...where does a guy get 8 mins from? Just stretch it to 10.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

they gotta change the point system way too many 3 point games