Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF
    Baxter Man13's Avatar Become A Pro!

Baxter Man's Winning NHL Thread

Last season I took in about $20,000 and looking to do so again this season. This is my strongest sport and my favorite. I follow this sport all year long, on and off season. My favorite team are the Philadelphia Flyers, but I can sit down and watch any NHL game, even if it is a re run and I already know the outcome of the game. I guess you can say I am more a fan of the game rather then a single team.

I will start posting my picks October 7th. But in the mean time here is my East prediction for the top 5.

1- Capitals (offense is of course still lethal and dangerous, will remain a top team in the East for at least the next 5 seasons)

2-Lightning (When I think of St.Louis, lecavalier, Stamkos and now Gagne, I think wow..soo much offense, but they might have a goaltending problem, going to need the defense to stand tall all season long)

3- Flyers (After last years playoff run, this team's confidence is at an all time high and they are ready to cash in for the cup, Leighton is not a problem or an issue what so ever, they have one of the best and toughest blue lines in the East as of right now, and with a back up Russian goalie who is ready to exlpode into the NHL stats).

4-Penguins (Expect Malkin to lead this team all season long, lets not forget about Crosby either, but with out Guerin to help him this season. Only down fall as of right now, Staal is out for at least 4-5 weeks. Also going to need Fleury to have a bounce back season and not allow an average of 3 goals per game anymore. No more Gonchar is a big blow, but they did bring in other top defenders to replace him).

5-Devils (New coach bringing back the defensive trap, trying to teach Kovalchuk system hockey, Brodeur getting older and not having a solid defense in front of him, I expect this team to win the cup within the next 3-4 years, just not this year they have too much of a work load right now).

As for the West I do not have any thought of what to expect but what I do expect is for Vancouver to remain in the top 2-3 and most likely make it to the Stanley Cup finals (I had them to win the cup last season). And for the Red Wings dynasty to not be what it used to be, they will be lucky to finish in the top 3 this year.

I also do know the Blackhawks will not finish in the top 6 this year, they lost too many big weapons to protect Towes and Kane. And with Turco in net, they are going to struggle all season long, better hope Kane, Toews, Hossa and Sharp can score to keep up with Turco's low GAA.

Sharks with Niemi no more Nabakov is going to become interesting come playoff time. We will all see if goaltending was the real issue over in San Jose (I believe it was, meaning Niemi could see another Stanley Cup series this season).

Stanley Cup Finals Prediction: Lightning or Flyers v.s. Canucks or Sharks

Last edited by Baxter Man13; 09-23-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot about Hossa

trade88
    trade88's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is gold.

Lightning 2nd in the East.
    Hawks 7th or worse in the West.
    "My favorite team are the Philadelphia Flyers"
    "As for the West I do not have any thought of what to expect but what I do expect...."

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by trade88 View Post
    This is gold. Lightning 2nd in the East. Hawks 7th or worse in the West. "My favorite team are the Philadelphia Flyers" "As for the West I do not have any thought of what to expect but what I do expect...."
    Keep posting 1930 hockey players in your countdown thread because you couldn't handle the original one started by keyboarding
    BOL this season

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Ballsy prediction for the Lightning 2nd in the East however it's not possible for WAS/TAM to finish 1-2 in the East thanks to the stupid division leaders rules. Either way though it's good to have another capper here who loves the game of hockey and not just the $ he makes from it GL this year man.

Types
    Jugs this BIG
    Types's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Best of luck this upcoming season

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Ballsy prediction for the Lightning 2nd in the East however it's not possible for WAS/TAM to finish 1-2 in the East thanks to the stupid division leaders rules. Either way though it's good to have another capper here who loves the game of hockey and not just the $ he makes from it GL this year man.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by Types View Post
    Best of luck this upcoming season

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

I am allergic to cats so I don't know how much I can come into this thread but good luck.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Steak View Post
    I am allergic to cats so I don't know how much I can come into this thread but good luck.
    LOL I am too but we all need to make sacrifices

fjordo
    fjordo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2630

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Man13 View Post
    Last season I took in about $20,000 and looking to do so again this season.
    What did you have as a starting bankroll to finish up that much last year, and what do you plan on starting with this year?

What would you say is your normal bet/unit amounts?

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by fjordo View Post
    What did you have as a starting bankroll to finish up that much last year, and what do you plan on starting with this year? What would you say is your normal bet/unit amounts?
    started with $5000, average bet was $100 -$500. I only bet my strongest plays at $500.

I will start with $5000 again this season, why not

goblue24
    goblue24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5912

And for the Red Wings dynasty to not be what it used to be, they will be lucky to finish in the top 3 this year.
    I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I think the Wings still have a great shot to win their division and finish in the top 3. Chicago sold the farm this summer and is not the same team they were last year, Nashville (whom the Wings finished ahead of last year in the standings) overachieved last year and will come back down to earth a bit this season, St Louis and Columbus suck.

Don't forget Detroit was ravished by injuries before the Olympic break and was one of the hottest teams after the Olympic games going 16-5 when their players were healthy. Adding Jiri Hudler back into the lineup this season will give them another 20 goals from the 3rd line. Throw in veterans Modano and Salei and that is some nice depth this season that was lacking last year.

Detroit seems to have a knack for getting that last little bit of good hockey from aging veterans, which is why I think the Modano signing could be huge, especially on the power play.

With that said I wouldn't expect the dynasty to end this year.

Types
    Jugs this BIG
    Types's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Was wondering how many game you plan to play a day?

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by Types View Post
    Was wondering how many game you plan to play a day?
    All depends on what is available and what has more of a betting edge. I normally do not bet more then 3 a day. But again, all depends on what is available.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

2-Lightning (When I think of St.Louis, lecavalier, Stamkos and now Gagne, I think wow..soo much offense, but they might have a goaltending problem, going to need the defense to stand tall all season long)

HAHA, when you think of St.Louis? Uh that team name is called Tampa Bay. I can really tell your a huge fan, first start by knowing the team name then the players

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    2-Lightning (When I think of St.Louis, lecavalier, Stamkos and now Gagne, I think wow..soo much offense, but they might have a goaltending problem, going to need the defense to stand tall all season long) HAHA, when you think of St.Louis? Uh that team name is called Tampa Bay. I can really tell your a huge fan, first start by knowing the team name then the players
    What!?!? Are you talking about!?!?!??

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

HAHA, when you think of St.Louis? Uh that team name is called Tampa Bay. I can really tell your a huge fan, first start by knowing the team name then the players
    You need to stay away from the game of hockey

casola
    casola's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Good luck for the up and coming season, never bet on NHL before, but am looking for someone to follow, how soon before the game do you think you'll be posting your plays? Will you be posting all the days plays in a single post, or several through out the day?

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by casola View Post
    Good luck for the up and coming season, never bet on NHL before, but am looking for someone to follow, how soon before the game do you think you'll be posting your plays? Will you be posting all the days plays in a single post, or several through out the day?
    I will post them here, as well as other threads for my bigger picks, they will all come with write ups as well

mpresiv1
    mpresiv1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1950

Bax how much do you play per game or unit?

goblue24
    goblue24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5912

started with $5000, average bet was $100 -$500. I only bet my strongest plays at $500. I will start with $5000 again this season, why not
    Quote Originally Posted by mpresiv1 View Post
    Bax how much do you play per game or unit?
    Reading comprehension?

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by goblue24 View Post
    Reading comprehension?
    Wait until Thursday when the nhl starts.

1 unit = $100
    3 units = $300
    5 units = $500

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

10.7.10 - Lean

Flyers/Penguins OVER 5.5 (5 units)

Still do not know what the line is yet but I am pounding it as long as it is 6 or lower. I will also have a full game write up come Thursday afternoon.

gtboy
    gtboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

ok i will give ya a shoot by tailing u Bax. if u win i will sure send u some betpoints, if want them. gl

Eleven
    Eleven's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tampa will improve but it might take them some time to get going, new coach and all. Boucher was great and very imaginative in the AHL, but youth listens more than NHL veterans.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

You need to stay away from the game of hockey
    I apologize. I read it wrong I thought it said St. Louis Lightning I swear Who knows you could of edited it, oh well.

mpresiv1
    mpresiv1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1950

Wait until Thursday when the nhl starts.

1 unit = $100
    3 units = $300
    5 units = $500
    Quote Originally Posted by goblue24 View Post
    Reading comprehension?

Thanks for the break down Bax as my question was asked directly to you and no a general forum question.

pm4e
    pm4e's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3621

Baxter Man, did you have a thread last year?

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

10.7.10 - Lean

Flyers/Penguins OVER 5.5 (5 units)

Still do not know what the line is yet but I am pounding it as long as it is 6 or lower. I will also have a full game write up come Thursday afternoon.
    GL Baxter I was leaning on this one myself and thinking same thing as long as 6 or less. Defense and goaltending should be shaky to start and both teams hate each other which should result in plenty of PP opportunities from dumb penalties.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

I apologize. I read it wrong I thought it said St. Louis Lightning I swear Who knows you could of edited it, oh well.
    No worries, and no I DID NOT edit that part of the write up, I edited my spelling mistakes, trust me..I know my hockey dude
    Quote Originally Posted by pm4e View Post
    Baxter Man, did you have a thread last year?
    No I am new here
    Quote Originally Posted by HOT WINGS View Post
    GL Baxter I was leaning on this one myself and thinking same thing as long as 6 or less. Defense and goaltending should be shaky to start and both teams hate each other which should result in plenty of PP opportunities from dumb penalties.
    Last edited by Baxter Man13; 10-05-10 at 01:36 PM.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Wow. This is pure dumb. Attempting to call someone out while simultaneously revealing the same ignorance you thought you were calling the guy out for.

Go Flyers

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    Wow. This is pure dumb. Attempting to call someone out while simultaneously revealing the same ignorance you thought you were calling the guy out for. Go Flyers
    I know, I have been waiting a week for this guy to explain what he was trying to say, and after a week, I came to realize..he was just not to bright when it came to the NHL (yet his handle is a hockey related movie)

whatever

Jempa
    Jempa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2232

Lovely write-up. Like your perspective alot on this season and I will probably tail you throughout it.

Is there anyway you might end up having a spreadsheet open? I know DG uses his frequently and it is much appreciated from many, including myself.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by Jempa View Post
    Lovely write-up. Like your perspective alot on this season and I will probably tail you throughout it. Is there anyway you might end up having a spreadsheet open? I know DG uses his frequently and it is much appreciated from many, including myself.
    Yes I have a current spread sheet for my nfl and ncaaf picks up to date (they are ok, not to impressive) But I am debating on just deleting them all and using it for my nhl picks, only because once hockey is in season, I forget about every other sport.

What should I do you think?

1-delete the nfl and ncaaf picks and start with my hockey picks only?

2-just keep the nfl and ncaaf picks and just add my hockey picks?

over5.5
    over5.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 206

GTFO of the thread, hahha

1234 ... Last