BlindBeggar
    BlindBeggar's Avatar Become A Pro!

My Nhl Season Predictions

I am new to the forum and thought I would say hi and share some of my thoughts on the upcoming season.

Eastern Conference

1. Washington - Amazing offense will lead them to lead the East in the regular season.
    2. New Jersey - They have a great offense and solid defense and goaltending.
    3. Boston - Horton could put up a career high with Savard, Rask needs to keep up his great play.
    4. Pittsburgh - A full season from Malkin will help.
    5. Buffalo - Watch for a huge season from Myers, and Miller too of course.
    6. Tampa Bay - Yzermans' additions of Gagne, and underated Ellis and Kubina, plus continued development of Stamkos and Downie will take them to the playoffs.
    7. Philadelphia - Didn't address their biggest weakness, in goal.
    8. Ottawa - Team should score more with Gonchar on the PP.
    -
    9. NY Rangers - Too weak on defense, and not enough offense to make it.
    10. Carolina - Could surprise, but needs an influx of talent to compete.
    11. Montreal - It all rests on Price, not enough scoring to cover any goalie lapses.
    12. Toronto - Good defense and goaltending, but too thin at centre and left wing.
    13. Atlanta - It's gonna be a long season.
    14. NY Islanders - Young team will have growing pains.
    15. Florida - Long season ahead.

Western Conference

1. Detroit - A full year of Jimmy Howard helps one of the hottest team in the last half of last years regular season.
    2. Vancouver - Added toughness and depth on defense to a very good forward core.
    3. San Jose - Step back in defense, still good enough to win the Pacific.
    4. Chicago - Great core, but lost a ton of depth.
    5. Los Angeles - Lateral moves this off-season.
    6. Nashville - No Arnott and Hamhuis, but gained a new number one centre. Great coach that always gets the best out of his group.
    7. Colorado - Good young team that surprised last year.
    8. Calgary - This team is a chemistry experiment at forward, but it can't be worse that scoring a league low last year. Good enough defense and goaltending.
    -
    9. Phoenix - Lost a key centre and defenseman,
    10. St. Louis - Good young core, but is Halak that much better than Mason?
    11. Minnesota - Just not enough, at forward or defense.
    12. Anaheim - Didn't improve this offseason, and key members keep getting older.
    13. Columbus - Is Mason the next Raycroft? Does it matter without a number one centre?
    14. Dallas - Weak defense and a injury prone Lehtonen will lead to a bad performance.
    15. Edmonton - Will improve on its 62 point season, not nearly enough. Growing pains.

Pumped for the season and happy to be here.

mtltitans2
    mtltitans2's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Montreal finds a way in....they always do and I like Vancouver to win the west and the presidents trophy

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

I think Toronto will compete for a playoff spot this year. Will be tight and interesting.

BTW.....having Carolina and NYR ahead of the Leafs is just wrong. What site did you get your predictions from? TSN.ca?

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    BTW.....having Carolina and NYR ahead of the Leafs is just wrong. What site did you get your predictions from? TSN.ca?
    That would not be possible, considering that TSN in its coverage can most of the time be mistaken for Toronto Sports Network as opposed to The Sports Network...

CindyCryBaby
    CindyCryBaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2143

Central division will be tough with Detroit / Chicago...Chicago's youth could give it to them again. Detroit will surely look to rest some older players if they get injured and not be rushed to return them to the ice

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF
    Baxter Man13's Avatar Become A Pro!

This prediction is so ass backwards.

Bury this thread

By the way did you know Savard is out for preseason due to concussion symptoms? He seems to never fully recover from that Matt Cooke hit last season. So to say Horton is going to put up a career high with Savard, just makes no sens to say with this injury still hanging over Savards head, literally

PuckOff

Savard isn't feeling any effects at all. This is a deal he and BOston worked out in order to get them under the cap. As long as he is injured then his salary doesn't count so that gives the bruins cap relief until they make a trade. Another way to circumvent the cap.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    Savard isn't feeling any effects at all. This is a deal he and BOston worked out in order to get them under the cap. As long as he is injured then his salary doesn't count so that gives the bruins cap relief until they make a trade. Another way to circumvent the cap.
    I want a link stating this.

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Man13 View Post
    I want a link stating this.
    You want a link stating they circumvented the cap?
    Points Awarded:

PuckOff gave Metalhead 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Baxter Man13
    MR WINDY CITY = STIFF

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    You want a link stating they circumvented the cap?
    Just proves this is not the situation regarding Savard. Even in the playoffs when he came back he did not look like his normal self, despite that one big goal in game 1

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28270

BlindBeggar, welcome to the hockey forum and good job on your analasys.

PuckOff

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Man13 View Post
    Just proves this is not the situation regarding Savard. Even in the playoffs when he came back he did not look like his normal self, despite that one big goal in game 1
    Other than being a little rusty, he looked perfectly fine to me.

Types
    Jugs this BIG
    Types's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

savard out if i recall correctly

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Bos over Pitt??

Maybe if Crosby AND malkin get injured

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by mtltitans2 View Post
    I think Montreal finds a way in....they always do and I like Vancouver to win the west and the presidents trophy
    I don't think price is solid enough.

dbnmln
    dbnmln's Avatar Become A Pro!

Philly in 7th spot is a little crazy as I see them 4 or 5. Their D is stacked, I'm sure we all know that by now. Their offense is stacked on all 3 lines with a great checking line. NOW, I will agree on their goalie situation. I'm not 100% sold on Leighton but who is. Boborosky (rookie) has been pretty strong in preseason and with Leighton hurting his lower back last night, this could be his chance to start on the roster.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28270

i like st-louis alot this year. bearing any injuries they can make some noise in the west.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

I like St. Louis and Phx better than Nashville. Nashville doesn't have any secondary scoring they need Rinne to stand on his head to win games. I guess the same could be said for Phx but I will take Bryzgalov over Rinne any day of the week. I like St. Louis to sneak up this year and I think L.A. takes a step forward as well. Hope your right about the Wings but I think there going to be down around the 3-4 spot this year. Overall good job

phxcoyotes
    phxcoyotes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Nashville should be around 8 or 9 not 6

dbnmln
    dbnmln's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll get on the Blues bandwagon as they could be a sleeper and swap them and Calgary in your predictions.

TBone101
    TML
    TBone101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by phxcoyotes View Post
    Nashville should be around 8 or 9 not 6
    I think Lombardi will help Nash offense huge..

I think SJ won;t finish 3rd but perhaps 6th

LA will be stronger this year, they may finish 3rd, all depends on how Quick/Bernie play.

Leafs I pray they make it this year .. but i have my doubts.

MTL .. Price will sink them.

Spot On with Detroit .. the return of Hudler will make the difference, adding that extra line able to put the puck in the net.. Watch for Abdvokater (w/e) to have a good season.

TB looks right this year.

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

ur west is whack! hawks #1

BlindBeggar

Thanks for all the responses.

I made these rankings up on my own and are purely my predictions.

I also think that teams could be ranked by Elite, Contender, Borderline, and Rebuilder as well, and that might be more accurate. This would include chances to win the Cup, not just finish high in the regular season.

For example, in the West I would have Detroit, Vancouver, and San Jose as Elite, Los Angeles and Chicago as Contender, Nashville, Colorado, Calgary, Phoenix, and St Louis and Borderline, and the rest as rebuilders with little chance to make the playoffs.

As for Savard, we will see what happens, but Boston does have very good talent and depth at center without him anyways.

BlindBeggar

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Bos over Pitt??

Maybe if Crosby AND malkin get injured
    Its a prediction of the final standings, Boston as a division leader is guaranteed at least the 3rd spot in the conference, while I put Pittsburgh behind New Jersey in their division.

It happened last year with Buffalo and Pitts, and Van and Phoenix.