mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

not a big hockey guy, but 4 assists and 3 goals in 1 game?

Daniel Alfredsson had a hat trick and four assists to lead Ottawa to a 8-4 victory Thursday night.

Alfredsson will go into the All-Star break with 32 goals and 35 assists in 47 games. He has already surpassed his 2006-07 total of 29 goals and he is now on pace to record 110 points this season. He may fall short of that, but he's capable of turning this into a 40-goal and 100-point season.

that cant happen more than once every few years, right?

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hadn't checked the boxscore yet, but I suppose I can safely presume I lost my prop bet on LeCavalier pts vs Alfredsson pts.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

Nights like this happenned with regularity in the 80's early 90's, especially on those Oiler and Penguin teams. I miss those days!

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenLullaby View Post
    I hadn't checked the boxscore yet, but I suppose I can safely presume I lost my prop bet on LeCavalier pts vs Alfredsson pts.

i think its safe to say! good lord.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    Nights like this happenned with regularity in the 80's early 90's, especially on those Oiler and Penguin teams. I miss those days!

whats changed? i thought they were trying to add more soring to the league, is there actually less than there used to be? larger goalie pads and things of that nature?

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    whats changed? i thought they were trying to add more soring to the league, is there actually less than there used to be? larger goalie pads and things of that nature?

They are trying to add more scoring, but that's in comparison to what the beginning of the decade held. In the early 90's totals of 7.5 weren't uncommon, today you might find one game this year where it's 6.5. I see there being 3 things that changed the league from high fly scoring to what it is today!

1) Coaching technique. 80% of the teams play a defensive style. They play not to lose instead of playing to win.
    2) Expansion. With so many mediocre players now in the league, the skill level is too thinly dispersed, which actually causes the coaches to play the defensive style noted above.
    3) Goaltenders today are so much better than those 20 years ago. Your best athletes now are playing goal which means almost every team has a quality netminder whereas this was not always the case 20 years ago. In addition, the style of goaltending has been fine tuned to the point that if you ever watch a goalie from 30 years ago play, you wonder how they ever stopped anything!

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Well, the rules do promote scoring now, but unfortunately, there is nothing in the rules where we could clone Gretzky and Lemieux.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    They are trying to add more scoring, but that's in comparison to what the beginning of the decade held. In the early 90's totals of 7.5 weren't uncommon, today you might find one game this year where it's 6.5. I see there being 3 things that changed the league from high fly scoring to what it is today!

1) Coaching technique. 80% of the teams play a defensive style. They play not to lose instead of playing to win.
    2) Expansion. With so many mediocre players now in the league, the skill level is too thinly dispersed, which actually causes the coaches to play the defensive style noted above.
    3) Goaltenders today are so much better than those 20 years ago. Your best athletes now are playing goal which means almost every team has a quality netminder whereas this was not always the case 20 years ago. In addition, the style of goaltending has been fine tuned to the point that if you ever watch a goalie from 30 years ago play, you wonder how they ever stopped anything!

I know that with expansion, like in baseball, the talent pool will be stretched further, but arent there more foreign players making up for some of that? or are there not more than there used to be? i cant pronounce half of the names in the league. ive never watched a ton of hockey unless the caps were in the playoffs, but i do enjoy the highlights. who was it that had the goal a few nights ago beating two guys, in the last couple minutes, to send a game to OT. was that nash? Hockey highlights are some of the best, but the game isnt one i find myself watching a lot. really, no one around here really grows up playing hockey for some reason. it seems like it would be an expensive youth sport actually.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Well, the rules do promote scoring now, but unfortunately, there is nothing in the rules where we could clone Gretzky and Lemieux.

what about Ovie in Washington.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Let Ovie and Crosby put together some 120-point seasons before starting any comparison talk. Also, do those players make the guys around them better the way that Wayne and Mario did?

mofome

Let Ovie and Crosby put together some 120-point seasons before starting any comparison talk. Also, do those players make the guys around them better the way that Wayne and Mario did?

you dont want to go head to head with me in hockey. btw, who is crosby?

brock
    brock's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12488

great game by this guy

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

I'd say Crosby certainly does. Ovechkin is going to get knocked out of this league at a young age if he doesn't stop playing liek Wendel Clark did with the Leafs inthe 80's. This style of play is goign to wear his body down.

PuckOff

you dont want to go head to head with me in hockey. btw, who is crosby?

Who is Crosby? Wow!!!

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Puckoff nice avatar I remember when the NHL was promoting Peter Puck to promote hockey they should bring him back.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    Who is Crosby? Wow!!!

not much for sarcasm are ya?

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

not much for sarcasm are ya?

lebron who?

Anyways, I think LT is overrating Gretzky and Lamieux a little. Watching those games from the 80's, you cant even compare it. The goalies and defense were just so poor back then compared to today. I really doubt Gretzky would stand out nearly as much as he did back then if he were playing today.

mofome

hopefully 'onlooker' isnt the one who moved this thread.

Magica10
    Magica10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Lol Yo Mo!!

LOL hey Mang!

so youre not a big hockey guy huh????

DO you know one? I bet ya just might !! lol

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Magica10 View Post
    LOL hey Mang!

so youre not a big hockey guy huh????

DO you know one? I bet ya just might !! lol

you the hockey guy i need to watch? i need to follow someone if im gonna play from time to time.

PuckOff

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    lebron who?

Anyways, I think LT is overrating Gretzky and Lamieux a little. Watching those games from the 80's, you cant even compare it. The goalies and defense were just so poor back then compared to today. I really doubt Gretzky would stand out nearly as much as he did back then if he were playing today.
    You know you could be right on this, but the league back then was pretty rough. I do agree that goalies were not near as good as they are today. Not sure if I agree with Dmen though.

PuckOff

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    Puckoff nice avatar I remember when the NHL was promoting Peter Puck to promote hockey they should bring him back.
    I believe the Toronto Maple Leafs (LeafsTV) own the rights to Peter Puck. I know they were showing old clips of good old Peter a few weeks ago.

Magica10
    Magica10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    lebron who?

Um ok?

am i reading this right?

Over rated? the 80's?

Ugh dude, Yeah i think Gretz and Mario stink!! TOTALLY CLULESS BUMS theyd a been NOTHING in the league that JUST OPENED UP EVERY OFFENSIVE EFFORT?

Dude Thats got to be the Absolute STUPIDEST F**KING COMMENT I HAVE OFFICIALLY EVER SEEN IN ANY FORUM ON THE PLANET!! Congratulatons!!