eagleeye
    eagleeye's Avatar Become A Pro!

Back to Back Question

Tonight, Carolina was playing at St. Louis, which was a back to back game for Carolina. Does anyone have any percentages on how teams playing their second game in two days actually does? I've noticed that the line appears to be huge.

Today as well, Ottawa was playing a back to back against a very weak TB team. I thought they'd (Ottawa) favored by about -300. Instead the line was -230 (+/-).

Can anyone provide any input here?

Thanks,
    Eagleeye

eagleeye

My wife did some research and with little results. On back to back games this year, teams have won 93 times and lost 116. That's a .5550 losing percentage.

Of course, this leads to a lot of other questions, especially since we're using the money line. I don't have winning dollar amounts, if in fact they was winning money to be had. I don't have the puck line money. But obviously playing back to back is a bit of a bad thing.........Any other thoughts?

GLTA,
    Eagleeye

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

I've only researched last year so far and only home teams.

But, home teams with 0 rest (ie played last night) we're 78-57 last year and +$833 for a $100 player.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28246

you gotta pick your spots on this one. team loses first game of BB will give an extra effort to win following night. if your traveling est to west or vice versa to play BB games is an angle to look for. staying within your time zone for a couple of games is less of a hastle. One angle to look for are the tail game of teams who play 3gms in 4 nights or 4gms in 6 nights. Am sure stats will be much better.

eagleeye

durito and xxx.....good input and thanks. My wife has researched sports for several years now and I'd agree. A lot more work to do.....3 in 4, time zones and the like are all things that must be considered. Pucks should be considered. Losing the first game is a good one to look at....Playing a rivalry and then moving on would have to be considered as well. Motivation and many other factors should be considered. I was hoping that since this forum appears to be thorough, that someone had already done the work. I'll pass it along to my wife and have her check a few other things as well. Any ideas on what should be looked at first?

Thanks,
    Eagleeye

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Good info guys. I know jack shit about hockey. Maybe you guys could post some more angles you look for?

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28246

you shouldn't bust your head with to much research on back to back games. Research should be done before the season begins along with a game plan. During the season you got to stay up to date,do a lot of reading on injury reports, hot or cold streaks, good home road team. By reading or listening to local radio you can learn of team chemistry, line changes... BTW, with parity present more than ever before in NHL pick your spots on big ML favorite. Am not saying to stay away but betting on theses games constantly will bring your bankroll down.

eagleeye

XXX, you are correct. Actually, I never watched Hockey. To be honest, like most, I didn't care. Over the past couple of seasons, my wife has changed my mind. Why? Because she has done her homework and was hitting hockey better than I (32 years experience at handicapping) was hitting football, basketball, or baseball. What we're trying to do is to continue to compile data into a huge data base that my wife has, watch trends, and develope angles on which to play. Right now to be honest, I play about 2 games a week, maybe up to 4. That's it. Why? Because that was her business plan to play these games only, but to also continue the research.

Good input from eveyone. Thanks for the efforts.
    GLTA,
    Eagleeye

figjam
    figjam's Avatar Become A Pro!

Back to backs are a significant factor in hockey betting. Personally i think they're over rated by the books and thus you will always get lines heavily tilted towards the rested team because its hard for bettors to lay money on a team that is at a slight disadvantage in terms of energy level.
    However having said that....back to back represents great value because in actuality (and i dont have the exact figures) the rested team does not win as much as the books have them favored to win. In fact some teams actually have a winning record on back to backs. Now some sharp hockey better would know the win-loss record of each team playing the 2nd game of a b2b and if they were really sharp, they would even have the win-loss record of teams who are hosting a tired b2b team.
    So when we see nyi who we know is 6-3 on b2b's play pho who is 2-5 hosting a b2b team, we know that theyre is great value on taking nyi on the plus money side.

Furthermore i do agree with others assessment that teams who lose the 1st game of a b2b are more likely to win the 2nd game. Like in any sport, motivation is a big factor. However you better have other factors supporting you betting on a b2b team other than they lost their first of b2b.

You can write a novel on the factors involved in b2b's like timezone, travel, no morning skate...etc...
    The key thing is that b2b's and 3 in 4 nights, 4 in 6 nights are for me where the money is made and I really key on these games as they provide better value than games where teams are well rested.