bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone else watching the hockey hall of fame inductions tonight?

What a great class of inductees we have this year.

2007 INDUCTEES

Ron Francis

Over 23 NHL seasons, Francis played for the Whalers, Penguins, Hurricanes and Maple Leafs. He is second to Wayne Gretzky with 1,249 assists, and ranks among the all-time leaders with 1,731 games (third) and 1,798 points (fourth).

Al MacInnis

Known for his wicked slap shot, MacInnis played 23 NHL seasons with the Calgary Flames and St. Louis Blues. He is the third-leading career scorer among defensemen, trailing only Ray Borque (1,579) and Paul Coffey (1,531).

Mark Messier

As part of the Edmonton dynasty years, Messier won five Cups with the Oilers before winning another with the Rangers. After playing 25 NHL seasons, he is second only to Wayne Gretzky on the all-time scoring list (1,887) and Gordie Howe for games played (1,767).

Scott Stevens

Stevens is a 13-time All-Star who won three Stanley Cups with the New Jersey Devils and played more NHL games than any other defenseman during his 22 seasons (1,635).

Jim Gregory

Gregory served as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1969 to 1979. He also ran the league's Central Scouting department and is currently the senior vice president of operations for the league's Toronto office.

Dave Fay

Soon after joining The Washington Times at the paper's inception in 1982, Fay started covering the Capitals and covered the team for most of his Times career to earn him this print journalism honor. Fay passed away in July after a 12-year battle with cancer. He was 67.

Bill Hewitt

The longtime "Hockey Night in Canada" announcer will posthumously be honored with the broadcasting award named after his father. He was a talented athlete (playing football, track and field and hockey) before becoming the voice of HNIC from the late 1950s until 1982.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

I'll be watching for sure Dan. I can't wait to see Mark Messier break down like a fool. I think he deserves to be in the HHOF, but his breaking down all the time is getting old. Great hockey player for sure, but he is greatly overrated in the leadership category.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

As is readily apparent, I was a HUGE Whaler fan, and obviously still a big Hurricane fan, so Ron Francis was THE man for me while growing up. Still believe that his trade to Pittsburg was the beginning of the end for the franchise in Hartford. Team went from a playoff contender with potential to a perennial doormat after that. So i will be watching tonite to see a player who was so vastly underrated, even with his unbelieveable stats get his just reward for his outstanding career.

icemantbi
    icemantbi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Definitely watching. Ron Francis is from my home town, so it's going to be a special moment watching be inducted.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14485

I can still hear Bill Hewitt's voice in my head from when I was a kid. Glad to see he's the broadcast inductee.