bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Peter Bondra retired from the NHL today

I don't mind that he retired at all, but he kept it a secret that makes me made. I took late drafting him in my fantasy hockey league.

Ex-NHL star Bondra retires to become Slovakian team GM

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia -- NHL veteran and Slovakian star Peter Bondra retired from professional hockey Monday to become general manager of his country's national team.

"I kept it a secret for a long time. They will know overseas only after this press conference," Bondra said, according to the Slovak national hockey association. "I hope I can help Slovakia win another medal at the world championship."

The 39-year-old Bondra played last season for the Chicago Blackhawks before becoming a free agent. He had 503 goals and had 389 assists in 1,081 NHL games, mostly for the Washington Capitals. He also played for the Ottawa Senators and Atlanta Thrashers.

His contract as general manger runs through 2008, when the hockey worlds are to take place in Canada. Bondra scored the decisive goal in the 4-3 victory over Russia at the 2002 hockey worlds in Sweden that gave Slovakia the title.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I don't mind that he retired at all, but he kept it a secret that makes me made. I took late drafting him in my fantasy hockey league.
    Taking a 39 year in any NHL fantasy league is a gamble Dan.