Didn't somebody here call this one earlier?

Quinn available for coaching post

Bored' ex-Leaf bench boss looking for work and still has Atlanta ties

Oct 23, 2007 04:30 AM
Mark Zwolinski
Sports Reporter

The Atlanta Thrashers have a coaching vacancy and former Leafs coach Pat Quinn would like to get back into the NHL. Is there a fit here for the two sides?

So far, the Thrashers, who visit the Leafs tonight, appear in the early stages of their search to replace Bob Hartley, who was fired last week after an 0-6 start.

Quinn said he hasn't heard anything from the Thrashers, but has let it be known his desire to return to coaching has never waned.

"I've let it be known that I'm ... I guess bored with being out of the game, and that I'd like to get back in," said Quinn, who last coached in the NHL in 2006 with Toronto.

Atlanta GM Don Waddell took over the coaching reins while beginning a search that has several worthy candidates and several possible strategies to follow.

Waddell has not mentioned names, but his list could include Quinn, another former Leaf coach Pat Burns, Mike Sullivan, Randy Cunneyworth and John Anderson, two standout AHL coaches.

Waddell, who is 1-1 behind the Thrashers' bench, spent an off-day Sunday doing background.

"What I did ... was a lot of homework," Waddell told the Atlanta-Journal Constitution yesterday before the team jetted to Toronto. "Not just talking to people, but doing my homework on guys that I knew, guys I've heard from. Just looking back, refreshing my memory on records, where they've been a head coach, what they've done."

Waddell has six rookies in his current lineup and is taking that into consideration in his search. He needs a coach who brings an immediate, high level of respect and who has a track record of quickly turning franchises around, which would describe Quinn.

After entering the Toronto scene in 1998, he ended a three-year playoff drought with a trip to the conference final. He'd repeat that feat again in 2003 and coached the club into the playoffs every year except his final season in 2006, averaging 42 wins a season in seven years. He also took Vancouver and Philadelphia to the Stanley Cup final.

"I've been doing some public speaking and watching junior hockey games," said Quinn, 64, part owner of the WHL's Vancouver Giants.

A move to Atlanta would mark more of a return for Quinn, who spent the last five years of his playing career in Atlanta and remains in touch with former teammates Tim Ecclestone and Eric Vail. As for taking over a young Thrashers squad, Quinn felt age wouldn't be a factor.

"I think age is just a number," Quinn told the newspaper. "I think as a coach, I've been on the leading edge in this game for a long, long time."