bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Schedule adjustment could take effect for 2008-09 season

Sure the hell took'um a long enough time to address this issue didn't it. This needed to be done how many years ago.

Adjustment could take effect for 2008-09 season

CHICAGO -- NHL teams could be back to playing every other club in the league by next season.

The board of governors from the 30 teams met Tuesday and moved closer to ditching the unbalanced schedule put in place after the lockout wiped out the 2004-05 season.

Although a vote won't take place before the group meets again in November, there was a clear indication Tuesday that the often criticized schedule would soon be scrapped.

"We had a preliminary discussion about the schedule, and I think it's clear that there will be a change," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said after the four-hour meeting. "That's something that we will work toward effectuating at the [next] meeting."

The current schedule, in effect for the upcoming season that begins next weekend, consists of eight games against each divisional opponent and only 10 total against non-conference opponents. Teams play one out-of-conference division at home and another on the road -- leaving five teams completely off the schedule.

Bettman declined to give specific details of how the schedule would be changed, but the discussion in the meeting focused on reducing the number of divisional games to allow each team to play the other 29 clubs at least once.

A two-thirds majority is needed to change the schedule, a move that would be effective in the 2008-09 season. The board of governors will meet again at the end of November in Pebble Beach, Calif. An informal poll during the meeting left the group confident that change was coming.

"I think there is sentiment for that: to go from eight to seven or eight to six," Anaheim general manger Brian Burke said. "But keep the conference games the way they are, and you can get every other team in your building every other year."

Before the lockout, every team played all the others.

"We think everybody should play everybody at least once," Ottawa general manager Roy Malakar said. "Whether that's home and away, I'd like to see more evidence that that's the direction the majority wants to go in. But we're willing to change."

Toronto president and CEO Richard Peddie said, "it looks like change."

Calgary Flames co-owner Harley Hotchkiss and Montreal Canadiens president Pierre Boivin said a change in the schedule was likely.

"I don't know what the change will be, but I think it's safe to say that we will be looking at a vote on the change at the [next] meeting," Boivin said. "It's a difficult topic. It's difficult to reach a consensus, that's for sure."

Atlanta Thrashers GM Don Waddell voted against a change to the schedule at the last meeting, during the All-Star break last January. On Tuesday, Waddell said he would vote for change now that the three-year cycle of the collective bargaining agreement is ending.

Also discussed Tuesday was possible league expansion and the proposed sales of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Nashville Predators. Bettman said expansion talks were premature.

The team sales are not ready to be voted on, Bettman added, but could be by the time the board meets again.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Dan,

This just proves that the NHL will NEVER admit it when they mess things up like how they messed up with expansion. Thye will stay the course with many expansion team becuase they will never admit they messed up. Poor examples of expansion teams:
    Nashville
    Columbus
    Carolina
    Florida - both teams
    Phoenix
    Atlanta

They could have fixed the schedule for this year LAST YEAR. They didn't because they didn't want to admit that they messed up. They stayed the course for the 3 year plan that they had.

These mess ups has proven to many people that GAry Bettman is not a great leader. He cannot lead the NHL and advise the BOG and the best course of action.

The NHL needs a real hockey man at the helm. The NHL needs a serious TV contract big time.

The NHL needs me!!!

bigboydan

That expansion project was strictly the result of the owners total greed! Yet another reason that Bettman needs to be fired.

Actually Phoenix Carolina were not expansion teams at all. It was the old Winnipeg Jets team, and the the Hurricanes were the old Hartford Whalers franchise.

Nashville, Columbus, and even Atlanta were total mistakes IMO. Bettman should have just let Nashville move up to the great white north, and not have interfered at all.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Columbus should have a team, if Columbus is not suitable then Cleveland (again). Ohio and other Northern States should be looked at instead of places like Arizona, Florida or Georgia. Florida has TWO teams? Silly!

I think they should consider another team in Canada, where it will be supported.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post

I think they should consider another team in Canada, where it will be supported.
    I couldn't agree more Betplom. Why Bettman stuck his nose in that almost sale of Nashville was beyond stupid.

PuckOff

Yeah but I must say that Ballsillie shoudl have also kept his mouth shut and why he sold tickets on TicketMaster is beyond me. The sale wasn't even final and he was selling season tickets. Made me think if this guy had any real business sense at all.

Winnipeg should not get a new or existing franchise. They couldn't even sell out a exhibition game featuring the Leafs (most popular draw in the league) and the old Jets team and now The Yotes. Disgraceful if you ask me. PLus their arena only seats 15K+

The NHL need to expand into the Maritimes with Halifax being the most logical choice. A team in Saskatchewan would also do well, but having teams coast to coast would be best.

If you ask me I actually think there TOO MANY TEAMS. The talent level was certainly watered down in the 90's and still continues. Right now I think relocation of 4-5 teams would be the best thing for the NHL. My choices would be a team in Saskatchewan, Halifax, Seattle, and maybe Las Vegas.

bigboydan

I'm glad I'm not the only one that says they need to move a team to Halifax. As far as a team moving back to Winnipeg goes. That isn't going to happen any time soon at all, because theres no where to play and the city wont build a new arena.

PuckOff

Halifax is going to be building a new rink soon so there is a possibility of a team moving there some day. Every game would be a sellout as fans all across NS, PEI, NB and even NL would come in to catch a game or 41. Only time will tell I guess.