bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sandis Ozolinsh is making a comeback

I'm surprised the Flames didn't pursue him at all. I mean after all washed up NHL players are Mike Keenan's favorite.

Former Shark Ozolinsh gets another tryout in San Jose

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh is getting a tryout with the San Jose Sharks in an attempt to restart his NHL career in the city where it began.

The seven-time All-Star played his first 3½ seasons with the Sharks, but ended last season on injured reserve with the New York Rangers after managing just three points in 21 games.

If the 35-year-old Latvian rediscovers his famed offensive game, he could fill a hole on the Sharks blue line after Scott Hannan's departure as a free agent to Colorado. Only five veteran defensemen have solid roster spots, including youngsters Matt Carle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

"There's plenty of openings, and there's a lot of competition on defense," coach Ron Wilson said. "Our history, as long as [general manager] Doug [Wilson] and I have been here, if you earn a spot on the roster, it's there for you."

Ozolinsh began his career in San Jose as a second-round draft pick, enjoying a 64-point campaign in 1993-94 -- still a franchise record for defensemen. He was a key member of the San Jose clubs that engineered consecutive first-round playoff upsets.

He has 164 goals and 384 assists in his NHL career with San Jose, Colorado, Carolina, Florida and Anaheim. He joined the Rangers at the 2006 trade deadline, but struggled in New York.

Ozolinsh entered the NHL's substance-abuse treatment program in December 2005. A few days after the 2006 season ended, he was arrested on a drunken driving charge that was later reduced to driving while impaired.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36797

If he doesn't have the same offensive talent that he did in his prime, which is obviously highly doubtful, i'd be very surprised if he made the team. Even in his best days, he was truly dreadful defensively.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

He will be a nice addition to the Sharks as he will be able to move the puck out of his zone. IF he stays sober, it will be a nice pickup for them.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13646

Man, what would make this truly an amazing story would be if Makarov, Garpenlov and Larianov all came back as well. Get Irbe back between the pipes and I'll be breaking out my 1995 Sharks jersey.