bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Belfour signs on with Swedish team

Eddie the Eagle should have just retired instead of playing in Sweden.

Report: Belfour signs on with Swedish team

After being phased out of Florida and with a lack of interest from other teams, Ed Belfour is apparently leaving the NHL.

According to a report from The Sports Network of Canada, the veteran netminder on Monday signed with the Leksands IF team, a second-division club of the Swedish Elite League.

It will be Belfour's first stint in a European league.

Belfour, 42, had a 27-17-10 record, 2.77 goals-against average and .902 save percentage in 58 games last season with the Panthers. But with the club's offseason acquisition of Tomas Vokoun, the chances of Belfour returning were all but eliminated.

In April, Belfour was arrested at a South Beach bar after a scuffle with a police officer. Belfour had slurred speech, blood shot eyes and smelled of alcohol, police said. He was charged with disorderly intoxication and resisting an officer without violence.

Belfour, a five-time All-Star who won two Vezina Trophies as the league's top goaltender, has 484 NHL career wins and 76 shutouts in 963 games with Chicago, San Jose, Dallas, Toronto and Florida.

tullamore
    tullamore's Avatar Become A Pro!

Put up solid numbers last year, hard to believe he couldn't help someone. Maybe he was asking for to much money.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Belfour did put up some decent numbers for a goalie who was written off well before the season started. I think his so called wild ways (partying, drinking, fighting with teammates getting arrested) has scared teams off. He would have been a great backup in Toronto and could have possibly been their number one goalie.

PuckOff

New to the Board here Dan.

Tell me why he should retire? Have you looked at his numbers from last year? I bet he has an out clause in his contract and will be back in the NHL for the start of the reg season.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36721

Nobody wants to touch this guy. Why would you? If he's not the number one guy on a team he completely tears apart the dressing room. Happenned in Dallas with Turco, and happenned in Florida with Auld, even tho he went to florida knowing he was the number 2 guy. He isn't capable of being a number one anymore, so why would any team put themselves in that position?

PuckOff

I agree that he is a little bit of a nut case, but according to his stats and "rehabed" back he is capable of being a #1 goalie in the NHL.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    I agree that he is a little bit of a nut case, but according to his stats and "rehabed" back he is capable of being a #1 goalie in the NHL.
    I concur sir.

I thought this guy had at least 1-2 more years left in the NHL considering the number of teams in the league.

PuckOff

I say he will be beck before you know it. Maybe when Hasek rips his groin apart.