bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Peca agrees with Blue Jackets

I think this was a very good signing for the Jackets. The problem is that they need a lot more than him to turn this team into a playoff team. If they were smart they would have focused on signing or trading for a few more defensive players this year.

Free agent Peca agrees with Blue Jackets

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Free agent Michael Peca, who missed the last half of the season with a broken leg, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The deal was first reported by the Columbus Dispatch.

Blue Jackets spokesman Todd Sharrock said Wednesday that Peca must pass a team physical. A formal announcement is expected later this week, Sharrock said.

Peca, 33, a two-time winner of the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the NHL's best defensive forward, spent last season with Toronto. He scored four goals and had 11 assists in 35 games before breaking his right leg in a collision with Chicago defenseman Jim Vandermeer last December.

Peca, who had been in talks with the New York Rangers, told the Dispatch that the Blue Jackets showed great interest in bringing him aboard.

"We had a deal in place with the Rangers for almost three weeks now," Peca said, according to the Dispatch. "It just doesn't seem like the commitment has been there from the general manager [Glen Sather] to get it done. But ever since we started talking with Columbus [Friday], [Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson] has been very straightforward and very interested in getting something done. And so right now, that's where our focus is, getting something done with Columbus.

"I moved on [from the Rangers]. And now I'm getting pretty excited to play for coach Ken Hitchcock and the Blue Jackets."

Messages were left with Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson, who is on vacation, and Peca's agent, Don Meehan, The Associated Press said Wednesday.

Peca has 164 goals and 245 assists in 728 career games with Vancouver, Buffalo, the New York Islanders, Edmonton and Toronto, serving as captain of both the Sabres and Islanders.

"I know a few guys in that room and I think we can be a pretty good team," he said, according to the Dispatch. "I know Adam Foote and Rick Nash. I lived in Jason Chimera's house when I played in Edmonton. I'm good friends with Todd Marchant, and when I talked to him, he told me it was a great place to play."

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

He would be a nice addition to Columbus if he stayed healthy - which he won't, he is prone to injuries, that's why Toronto bailed on him. He is getting older and has already suffered more than a couple of serious injuries (broken bones etc.) I doubt he will play the whole season.
    If there was an available line on him missing alot of games I would bet it.

I also believe that he will be much less physical this year, he'll be a little more cautious which will make him a little less effective.
    Last edited by betplom; 08-22-07 at 12:48 PM.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36721

Peca is the type of player at this stage of his career who will be totally ineffective on a bad team, and believe me, the team that Doug McClean left behind is a bad bad team. He would have been better off career wise to have joined a team that was half decent. I can't forsee this situation working out at all for either side!

bigboydan

At his age he had to go after the money though cobra king.

cobra_king

Dan, i don't disagree, but i believe it's short sighted. More money now for sure, but after he has his inevitably terrible season with a terrible team, his market value will be so low that in the long run, his decision not to be an important part of a better team will cost him financially down the road!

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

I disagree Cobra. Peca can still play a great defensive game. HE will play hard this year with the hopes of being traded to a contender at the deadline. When he does he will shine and earn himself a nice contract for next season.

cobra_king

Peca would be valuable on a better team. He will be a horrible disappointment on a crap team, as guys like him usually are when the role they play has no value to his team. I do agree tho that his only hope is that someone will pick him up at the deadline and he can have a successful playoff run.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Peca will play his heart out. You watch and see. NYR would have signed him, but they have Cap issues. Peca went with Columbus because he wanted to be signed.

I say Peca will go at teh deadline to a leading contender because this guy is a big time playoff player. Look at what he did in Edmonton.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    I say Peca will go at teh deadline to a leading contender because this guy is a big time playoff player.
    Now thats a prediction I think we can pretty much all agree with.