MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

NHL apologizes to Vegas; suspends refs

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26604171/nhl-apologizes-vegas-major-penalty-call%3fplatform=amp

Doesn't get me my $5k back but proves the call was horseshit.

Refs won't advance in playoffs either.

Should be terminated. They can't ref high school hockey fukkin jerkoffs.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

Please learn how to post a link!

MinnesotaFats

SBR mobile doesn't allow me!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 5mike5

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29066

dhristov211
    2023 year of Josh
    dhristov211's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 758

terminate?

lol

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

I’m shocked this story has so much traction. They still gave up 4 goals in five minutes and then gave up another one in overtime. Yes it changed the momentum but giving up 5 goals, you got to take some blame for.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

Not sure how 4 Refs on the Ice get it wrong but they did .... They were supposed to work the 2nd round but that got axed fast

jm8122
    jm8122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11921

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    I’m shocked this story has so much traction. They still gave up 4 goals in five minutes and then gave up another one in overtime. Yes it changed the momentum but giving up 5 goals, you got to take some blame for.
    Agree here

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

they lost fair and square

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

I don't see the knights apologizing to their fans for allowing 4 ppgs in 5 minutes. They were only short one man not 2.

Mrtop7
    Mrtop7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2178

The NHL should not apologize to Vegas Knights but to the bettors who took vegas.

sad

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Suspended them in the face of the public, patted them on the back with a big smile later on at the lodge.

MinnesotaFats

It's huge...this is Hockey's equivalent of an umpire calling a bases loaded balk because pitcher sneezed, of ref T'ng up and ejecting Michael Jordan because he got angry, or a 80 yard pass interference call on a desperation hail mary.

You can't line change in NHL if you cant gain control of the puck. It's 50/50 to start with, let alone the 1 man disadvantage. The fact there is no reprieve after a goal in this instance is more proof it was the absolute worst call in NHL history. VGK had guts working shifts for 90secs plus. Impossible physically to keep going.

To take a game away, and a series, away from the better team, who outplayed and outskated their opponent, in their opponents home, 4-1 in legit 5 on 5 hockey, is complete bullshit and will alienate a fan base and a lot if purist.

VGK actually outplayed SJ in game 6 as well, which is why I went so heavy on them in GM 7. The refs completely undermined 55 minutes of hockey because of their opinion/ feelings about a guy falling sideways.

It's a big deal...right up there w Saints no call pass interference.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I just love league retractions.

My favorite is in the NFL when they say "Well, these guys are no longer doing night games" as if they've been demoted to a morning or afternoon game.

Not sure what's more funny, the actions the leagues take after the fact, including rule changes, or the idotic fans that eat that shit up.

Insane might be a better word than idiotic due to that doing the same thing over and over definition.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

It always reminds me of a friend of mine that managed a movie theater in college.

A guy came out mid movie complaining about people making noise in the movie, he was pissed and wanted his money back.

So Smitty gives him a free small popcorn, and takes no other action, and the guy goes back into the theater happy as a clam, and never complains again.

Far too many folks are that guy that complained.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    It's huge...this is Hockey's equivalent of an umpire calling a bases loaded balk because pitcher sneezed, of ref T'ng up and ejecting Michael Jordan because he got angry, or a 80 yard pass interference call on a desperation hail mary.

You can't line change in NHL if you cant gain control of the puck. It's 50/50 to start with, let alone the 1 man disadvantage. The fact there is no reprieve after a goal in this instance is more proof it was the absolute worst call in NHL history. VGK had guts working shifts for 90secs plus. Impossible physically to keep going.

To take a game away, and a series, away from the better team, who outplayed and outskated their opponent, in their opponents home, 4-1 in legit 5 on 5 hockey, is complete bullshit and will alienate a fan base and a lot if purist.

VGK actually outplayed SJ in game 6 as well, which is why I went so heavy on them in GM 7. The refs completely undermined 55 minutes of hockey because of their opinion/ feelings about a guy falling sideways.

sharks outshot vegas by 10 in game 7 so it's not as though they were completely dominated like you claim

the refs didn't blow a 3-1 series lead, vegas did

the refs didn't blow a 3-0 lead in game 7, vegas did... yes the call was bad but the contact looked different live, just one of those calls that happens... maybe with a 3-0 lead halfway through the 3rd, your players shouldn't be committing stupid cross checks in the middle of the ice?

also i didn't know that only 5-5 hockey counted, so i guess we can take away those 3 power play/shorthanded goals that vegas scored in game 2... so then the sharks win the series 4-2

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    sharks outshot vegas by 10 in game 7 so it's not as though they were completely dominated like you claim

the refs didn't blow a 3-0 lead in game 7, vegas did... yes the call was bad but the contact looked different live, just one of those calls that happens... maybe with a 3-0 lead halfway through the 3rd, your players shouldn't be committing stupid cross checks in the middle of the ice?

also i didn't know that only 5-5 hockey counted, so i guess we can take away those 3 power play/shorthanded goals that vegas scored in game 2... so then the sharks win the series 4-2
    You ever skated non stop for 90 seconds?
    A 5 minute power play- you can't get line changes in like a normal 2 min minor. It's apples and oranges. How many 5 min majors did VGK benefit from in the series? What's good for the goose......

milwaukee mike

You ever skated non stop for 90 seconds?
    A 5 minute power play- you can't get line changes in like a normal 2 min minor. It's apples and oranges. How many 5 min majors did VGK benefit from in the series? What's good for the goose......
    yes i have

and those guys were just sitting on defense so it's not as though they were full-speed skating up and down the ice

average goals scored in a major penalty is way under 1, and only twice in the history of the nhl had a team given up 4 goals during a major, so it wasn't nearly as much of a gift as a lot of people think

went from average of about .2 goals to average of about .7 goals... so it was a half a goal gift
    Points Awarded:

goduke gave milwaukee mike 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

I would like you to find 5 minute major historical results. I’m betting strongly 4 goals are not given up many times. I think this isn’t even close to your examples at all. Your balk call is one run, this is 4 goals. Michael Jordan? Come on man it’s one hockey player not Michael Jordan.
    Blood has always been the way double minors and a lot of major penalties have been called. A 5 minute major is not physically impossible to keep from letting 4 goals in. Vegas fans are crying too much about this.

Yazworm91
    Live betting is the Devil
    Yazworm91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1353

Vegas lost this series in Game 6 when they had 59 shots and only 1 goal.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57553

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post

Exactly. With a commanding 3-0 lead and under 11 mins to play, why commit a ridiculous cross check right in front of the refs? Why even risk putting the game in their hands where something as catastrophic as that 5 minute major could be called? Just not smart hockey in that situation...

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Exactly. With a commanding 3-0 lead and under 11 mins to play, why commit a ridiculous cross check right in front of the refs? Why even risk putting the game in their hands where something as catastrophic as that 5 minute major could be called? Just not smart hockey in that situation...
    Cross Checking is 2 minutes minor!

I agree it was a risky shot, but the fact dude fell awkward doesn't warrant the major call.

This was the 50th minute of game 7, the guys are fukking exhausted. Playoff hockey is 150% more effort than regular season. To compare the energy/ skill/ effort needed to kill those 5 minutes in game 7, 50th minute, on the road versus some meaningless regulation game is not fair.

It was a BS call

And yes, I was at gm 6 and saw VGK outskate and outplay SJ for nearly 80 minutes, and they couldn't get one to go in. But that observation was the rationale behind the GM 7 backing. VGK are the better team...in fact, they're the best team in the west. Unfortunately we had a NHL referee wreck a season because of a subjective interpretation of a fall that everyone in the league now acknowledges as a shit call, at a shit time and the piece of shit should never ref again his entire life

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

time to move on

milwaukee mike

Cross Checking is 2 minutes minor!

I agree it was a risky shot, but the fact dude fell awkward doesn't warrant the major call.

This was the 50th minute of game 7, the guys are fukking exhausted. Playoff hockey is 150% more effort than regular season. To compare the energy/ skill/ effort needed to kill those 5 minutes in game 7, 50th minute, on the road versus some meaningless regulation game is not fair.

It was a BS call

And yes, I was at gm 6 and saw VGK outskate and outplay SJ for nearly 80 minutes, and they couldn't get one to go in. But that observation was the rationale behind the GM 7 backing. VGK are the better team...in fact, they're the best team in the west. Unfortunately we had a NHL referee wreck a season because of a subjective interpretation of a fall that everyone in the league now acknowledges as a shit call, at a shit time and the piece of shit should never ref again his entire life
    hockey games and playoff series are a lot of good luck/bad luck and the "better team" seems to win about 50% of the series

RD 1 favorites

pittsburgh -140 LOST
    tampa -340 LOST
    wash -145 LOST
    bost -160 WIN
    stl -115 WIN
    calg -185 LOST
    nash -185 LOST
    vegas -110 LOST

if you didn't have a large bet on vegas, you wouldn't care, and i would say betting big on a hockey game just because the team you bet on looks better isn't always the greatest idea... nba favorites almost always win playoff series, other sports not so much

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10125

They had way more calls in their favor than SJ, and even had game 2 handed to them on a double swing miss-call for goaltender interference. It was a disallowed goal and a penalty due to officiating.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    They had way more calls in their favor than SJ, and even had game 2 handed to them on a double swing miss-call for goaltender interference. It was a disallowed goal and a penalty due to officiating.
    Don’t mind Fats he good dude but he been irrationally crazy about this one call for way too long now, and calling Vegas best team in West is hilarious, they wernt even that last year just got lucky. If they were so great they would have won series before 7, wouldn’t have allowed 4 goals during one PP, etc etc etc..

Bucketwah
    Bucketwah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

They”ll be reviews for this type of thing soon just like all the other pro sports now. Everything in every sport will be reviewable soon especially with the mass legal betting going forward. Games will be much longer for all sports in the future. More income via commercials, air-time. Sports are all in for reviewing now.. give it time and nhl will start revewing these types of calls. Yea it didnt help with your bet this year but hopefully helps later on

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10125

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Don’t mind Fats he good dude but he been irrationally crazy about this one call for way too long now, and calling Vegas best team in West is hilarious, they wernt even that last year just got lucky. If they were so great they would have won series before 7, wouldn’t have allowed 4 goals during one PP, etc etc etc..
    I agree on both, GL Today!

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

Perhaps if you get this upset over a gambling loss, find another hobby....