darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19440

Kovalchuk to Jersey

Anybody care?

Thought I would like to ask the forum how you feel about it.

Seen threads on CBSSports.com, and they're ripping Atlanta a new one, over there.

Personally, I think its a win win.

Jersey's more dangerous for the post season.

Atlanta got something out of a guy that they were gonna lose in free agency, anyways.
    The ATL opened up a 100 million dollar checkbook, and Ilya still said no.
    At least they got something for their future.

They were gonna lose him, anyways.

But, I live in New Mexico, its not like I talk to a lot of Atlanta Thrasher season-ticket holders-so I don't know what this does to that franchise.

Thoughts?

CupWanted
    We're not worthy!
    CupWanted's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I don't blame Thrashers fans for ripping Don Waddell (the GM). The thrash has been terrible for a long time now and the only thing the team had going for them was Kovalchuk. The reurn wasn't all that great. Bergfors has 2nd line potential, Oduya is a 2nd pairing D-man with a bad contract, the prospect is suspended for the year in the CHL for a viscous elbow, and NJ's first is late.

The Devils are now an instant cup contender.

killgod
    killgod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

the TSN guys summed it up best.

What was Waddell/Atlanta to do?

Kovy refused a massive offer that was more than fair, so Atlanta had their backs to the wall.

Nobody was going to give up what they were asking for, but in reality they may have gotten when they were asking for.

Bergfors has been scouted as either a 2nd or 3rd line forward. If he turns into a 2nd line player, then Atlanta gets the top 6 forward they were after.

Oduya is a top 4 d-man, which was one of their desired peices.

Cormier is a prospect, which they wanted one.

1st Round draft pick, which they wanted one.

They may just have gotten everything they asked for, but no way was NY going to part with Dubinsky, Callahan, etc or LA with Simmonds, Johnson, etc. It just wasn't going to happen in the first place, not for a player that is looking for 100+ Million dollars.

Atlanta played this one as best they could and only time will tell how well they truly did.

Josu
    Josu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

Yay, now Jersey got a player who doesn't know how to pass a puck. Me, myself and I, Kovalchucks motto on the ice. Atlanta got the best part of this deal.

oj-thejuice
    oj-thejuice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your crazy^

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Josu is right about Kovalchuk he is a very selfish player. He has been known to have a poor attitude as well, but which that being said the Devils didn't get him for his leadership abilities. They got him for one reason to bury the puck in the back of the net on a nightly basis. Good trade for both teams as Atlanta at least got something back for him. I don't see the franchise lasting in Atlanta much longer anyways so they did what they had to do to try to keep their head above water.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

everyone who likes to predict hockey games should care- he is a very good player going to a talented team. He'll probably be able to use his talent to make this a very good team

dooman14
    dooman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

the fact that atla. got so little in return and that kovalchuk turned down BIG deals tells me one thing.....Ilya will be playing in KHL back home next season!

alex81
    alex81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Kovy will give the Devils a crucial element that they have been missing all season an during their current 3-7 slump... OFFENSE! Yes, the Devils can be considered a serious cup contender now but they won't be able to beat Washington if they face each other in the playoffs...