gadzooks
    nice to meet yall
    gadzooks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Introduction + Newb Question

Hi all,

I'm brand-spankin' new to sports betting but as someone who has played frequent poker for a while now and also someone who loves hockey, I'm excited to start my sports betting journey.

I'm curious what sites are recommended for hockey betting and why. I have a favorable opinion of Bovada since I've dealt with them for poker in the past, and that was the default place I was going to drop $100 before the NHL season starts... unless there is a reason why this would be a bad choice?

Bovada seems to have the most different odds and lines for hockey compared to the other popular sites. According to the SBR NHL odds page I looked a few days ago at preseason games and Bovada even had a team favored that all the other big sites had as an underdog.

Or maybe the site I use doesn't matter a whole lot? As I said I'm only dropping $100 and I'll make bets worth a few bucks as I get a feel for how things are.

Anyway, I might be fairly active on this forum, and it will be nice to meet you members of the community here!

-gadzooks
    Last edited by gadzooks; 10-07-16 at 06:27 PM.

ZdenoK
    ZdenoK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5733

For recreational betting any site will do. Otherwise Pinnacle is by far the best option because they have the highest limits, usually best odds and they don't limit winners.

HockKid11
    Hey from the UK.
    HockKid11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 792

I'd say just shop around. I'm in the UK so can't use all the good US books. Saying that as UK bookmakers know almost nothing about the NHL you can find some good lines just by shopping around.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

IF you're in U.S., use 5Dimes - they have lower juice, and more options as far as the variation of different bets for a single game goes, than Bovada.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

If you can access Bovada, you can probably play at Pinnacle and 5Dimes. Those would be my top two sites for hockey. Matchbook was also good before they pulled out of Canada.

ZdenoK

Bet365 has the best offer with less known leagues and also top live betting module.

breikert
    breikert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3381

Quote Originally Posted by ZdenoK View Post
    For recreational betting any site will do. Otherwise Pinnacle is by far the best option because they have the highest limits, usually best odds and they don't limit winners.
    I understand why you would say Pinnacle, but in my opinion, the highest limit would be Betfair, since it could potentially be limitless.

ZdenoK

Quote Originally Posted by breikert View Post
    I understand why you would say Pinnacle, but in my opinion, the highest limit would be Betfair, since it could potentially be limitless.
    You are right but last time I was using Betfair they had commission so you end up with better odds at Pinny. Plus I don't know anyone who would need higher limits than Pinnacle offers on popular markets such as NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA etc.

gadzooks
    nice to meet yall

What does it mean "highest limits" and "lower juice"? I'm really new to this.

After looking at the odds for today it does seem that Pinnacle has the best odds, which has me thinking I might try them out instead of Bovada.

gadzooks
    nice to meet yall

Update: I guess since I'm in the USA I can't use Pinnacle. Shame. I guess I'll look into 5dimes vs Bovada

breikert

You are right but last time I was using Betfair they had commission so you end up with better odds at Pinny. Plus I don't know anyone who would need higher limits than Pinnacle offers on popular markets such as NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA etc.
    Yeah, I absolutely agree(about the odds and high enough limits), even though I think the odds arent very much lower considering the commision. The upside with Betfair is obviously the limitless action you possibly could get, and the trading which can be awesome.

If I had to choose 3 sites though, both Pinnacle and Betfair would definitely be 2 of them.

breikert

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    What does it mean "highest limits" and "lower juice"? I'm really new to this.

After looking at the odds for today it does seem that Pinnacle has the best odds, which has me thinking I might try them out instead of Bovada.
    Limits is how much you can bet on a market, and juice is basicly the odds difference up to 2. Lets say a hockey match O5.5 goals, some sites could give 1.92 for over, and 1.92 for under, while other sites may give you 1.90 on both markets. So the 1.90 is higher juice, which is bad.

gadzooks
    nice to meet yall

Quote Originally Posted by breikert View Post
    Limits is how much you can bet on a market, and juice is basicly the odds difference up to 2. Lets say a hockey match O5.5 goals, some sites could give 1.92 for over, and 1.92 for under, while other sites may give you 1.90 on both markets. So the 1.90 is higher juice, which is bad.
    Thanks, I understand. I think limits are fairly irrelevant to me at this point then.

I decided to go with 5dimes.

Does anyone have a good source for immediate information, possibly even beating the sports books in the info race? I'm talking stuff like team rosters for a game, player injuries, etc.

ZdenoK

Thanks, I understand. I think limits are fairly irrelevant to me at this point then.

I decided to go with 5dimes.

Does anyone have a good source for immediate information, possibly even beating the sports books in the info race? I'm talking stuff like team rosters for a game, player injuries, etc.
    Good luck with that

gadzooks
    nice to meet yall

Good luck with that
    Is it not possible? :/

What are good sources regardless?

ZdenoK

Is it not possible? :/

What are good sources regardless?
    On big markets such as NHL I think it's pretty much impossible to beat the books with information unless you are a family member of someone playing for the team or otherwise closely connected to the franchise. The best you can do as far as relying only on information goes is beat other bettors when you see some cruical players are out of the lineup so you can bet before the odds get destroyed and hope your team comes through.

Best sources are twitter, NHL official pages, fan forums, google is your friend.