blackberry_juice
    blackberry_juice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

How much does home ice advantage swing a moneyline?

Hey guys, is there a ballpark range of how many points on the moneyline home ice typically swings? I know in football people typically use a 3-4 point range on the spread, but I was curious if there was a similar rule of thumb for hockey. I understand that a team playing across the country will be at a bigger disadvantage then a team playing a short flight away from home.

Yesterday the Leafs were a slight favorite over the Red Wings at home and today they're in the +115 range at Detroit so I'm gonna guess the difference between the same two teams playing at home and on the road is worth about 20-30 points.

What do you guys think?

DocterDrew
    @FanalystDrew
    DocterDrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

I'd agree with this, hard to really pick a range because hockey is such has a 0,1,2 score differential where NFL is 3,6,7,10
    I think it's more reliable to rank teams with power rankings and have a range where teams home ice advantage ranges from 0 to -.5 -1

id say Bruins hawks sharks blues to name a few usually have -1 home advantage over buffalo Florida Edmonton on any given night and then Id cut that in half vs a Columbus NY islanders Minnesota.

Hope oe I make sense here, but definitely a home advantage isn't as clear cut as in NBA NFL

blackberry_juice

That's an interesting approach. I like that. I think it's a lot more difficult to do that though then account for the value in the moneyline but if you are good at it, it's probably very beneficial

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36721

20 cents

blackberry_juice

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    20 cents
    thanks!