trendon
    trendon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3669

Now, obviously you have to watch out for the potential homerism on this one but I do not see how the Devils are half a point WORSE than last season.

I am all over the over on 85.5 (laying 25 cents).

The potential negatives (Jagr regressing/younger defense not coming around) are grossly outweighed by three things:

1. The team will not go 0-13 in shootouts again. (They have actually lost eighteen in a row!)

2. The additions of Cammalleri/Havlat (if he survives) plus the maturation of Boucher will help immensely.

3. They, once again, have a top 5 goalie.
    Last edited by trendon; 09-25-14 at 11:15 AM.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Too old, too slow.

I love the under here.

trendon

I think if you were going to make any counter it wouldn't have anything to do with speed (or even age, as the team actually got younger). Last season, the team controlled play in the offensive zone and possessed the puck more than their opponents, but failed to do much with all of that possession.

The Devils were the only team in the league with a positive Corsi% but a negative Goals For % ... and that number was off by 7% of expected goals for; meaning they should have scored seven percent more goals than they did last season. In fact, they were fourth in the league in expected goals for, which combined with their lovely 0-13 shootout record, made them one of the unluckiest hockey teams in recent memory.

Jones10
    Jones10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3152

im on the over as well trendon....

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Nice that you edited your number analytical guy...I'm seeing 88.5

I'm open to analytics but that lineup is putrid.

No forward will score 25 goals or 60 points....possession stats be damned if you can't score.

80 points max for this team.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

They have top 5 goalie?

though don't matter who you put there when you have one of worst defenses in east

trendon

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    Nice that you edited your number analytical guy...I'm seeing 88.5

I'm open to analytics but that lineup is putrid.

No forward will score 25 goals or 60 points....possession stats be damned if you can't score.

80 points max for this team.
    Sorry, I typed that from a mobile phone originally. I'll correct it. It is at 87.5 on Bovada and that is why I said "I do not see how the Devils are half a point WORSE than last season." They earned 88 points last year. Sorry for the typo.

Edit: Well, I can't edit it now.

trendon

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    They have top 5 goalie?

though don't matter who you put there when you have one of worst defenses in east
    Well, while he is still only slightly above the halfway point to be counted on the leaderboard, Cory Schneider has the greatest save percentage of all-time (ahead of Dominik Hasek). Now, before you lose your mind, I am not saying he is the greatest. I firmly believe he is a Top 5 goaltender. Now, watch the additional workload ruin him and I'll have to eat my words.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly
    Rudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Nothing with you being biased here... although you speak some sense devils don't convince me enough so i'll pass, very good luck to you on this wager.

trendon

Thanks. By the way, did you see how the Devils lost yesterday's preseason game vs the Isles?

Yeah, lost in a shootout.