Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

AHL Rule Changes Include 3-on-3 Overtime

"Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout."

See http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ah...daily_20140711 for details.

EDMSportsBet
    EDMSportsBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Still wish they would go 5 on 5 for 1 minute then 4 on 4 for a minute all the way down to 1 on 1 until a goal is scored. It'd be pretty cool to watch Crosby vs. Ovechkin going head to head in OT

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by EDMSportsBet View Post
    Still wish they would go 5 on 5 for 1 minute then 4 on 4 for a minute all the way down to 1 on 1 until a goal is scored. It'd be pretty cool to watch Crosby vs. Ovechkin going head to head in OT
    Interesting. Not sure about the 1 on 1 scenario though. Exactly how would that work? Seems they would drop dead of exhaustion skating up and down the ice. And after already playing an entire game? Not happening.

Nonetheless I am in favor of anything that would get rid of the ridiculous shootout. Even proponents of the shootout concept are now turned off by it. It was originally thought that it would be very dramatic but it hasn't played out that way. All in all it is a very anti-climatic way to decide a long hard fought game and WAY too many games are going to shootouts.

The number of points awarded each game is also an issue that needs to be addressed. I won't hold my breath on anything thing getting fixed while the current Commissioner is still employed.

EDMSportsBet

If it did get down to 1 on 1 most of the time a goal would be scored within the 1 minute. If a player was to get tired then there's nothing stopping him from making a line change during the play.

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by EDMSportsBet View Post
    If it did get down to 1 on 1 most of the time a goal would be scored within the 1 minute. If a player was to get tired then there's nothing stopping him from making a line change during the play.
    It is illogical to think that a goal would be scored within 1 minute of 1 on 1 because it is actually 1 offensive player against 2 defensive (counting the goalie). If anything it would be more difficult to score.

3 on 3 is as far as it will go down to. Anything lower than that becomes pond hockey not the NHL.

EDMSportsBet

This was the structure of OT's in certain tournaments I played in as a kid and it was not only fun playing in but it was more fun watching. NHL is in the entertainment business and I have no doubt in my mind the fans would love this format

EDMSportsBet

Edit