Kelvar
    Kelvar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Newbie question

Hey all, I've noticed bdc30's posts here, and a few things are baffling me. I come from Europe, and I don't understand what his picks mean exactly.

For instance, here's his last post:

Coyotes -106
    Kings -0.5 in reg +100
    Redwings +108
    Flyers +105
    Capitals -0.5 in reg +115
    Canadiens -106
    Bruins -1.5 goals +115
    Lightning -0.5 in reg +112
    Ducks -148
    Blues -159
    Sharks -0.5 in reg -122

Now I'm new to bets and all, but what does -106 mean? Or -0.5 in reg +100? Either american betting is different than what we have over here (1X2 etc)or I'm missing something. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

bdc30
    bdc30's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 590

-106 (for example) means the amount you have to risk to win 100

If it's minus, you have to risk the extra (if you're using a $100 unit for example, you would risk $106 to win 100 on Phoenix). On the flip side, if it's plus (such as Redwings +108), then you would risk $100 to win $108.

-0.5 in reg is a handicap bet, where you're taking the team to win the game in regulation time (not including overtime or shootouts) and giving up a half a goal. If the game gets to overtime, this bet loses.

Hope that helps.

Kelvar

bdc30: thanks for the quick reply, so basically you're just (mostly) giving the odds while not actually giving out a tip about the outcome? How is this different than checking the odds on a betting site?

bdc30
    bdc30's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 590

Those are my picks for the games tomorrow. I maintain my thread as a way to track my results and motivate myself to be diligent with keeping records. If anyone wants to fade or follow, that's their decision. I enjoy reading the different opinions of the posters here, and have backed a number of bets I've picked up in the various forums.

ZdenoK
    ZdenoK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5733

Kings-0.5 in reg +100

Kings is a pick which means you should bet on Kings because they will win.
    -0.5 in reg means they will win in regulation, that is after 60 minutes of play. If the match ends up a tie after 3rd period, your bet is a loss. This would be equivalent to 1 in 1X2 market (or 2, depending on where they play).
    +100 are the odds/line written in American way. Search for a converter to European odds on Google if you are having problems converting it on your own.
    This example would be 2.00 in European way of writing odds.

On a side note: If you are having problems understanding such simple basic concepts of betting, I'm not sure if betting is the way to go for you.
    Last edited by ZdenoK; 12-21-13 at 02:54 AM.

Kelvar

Quote Originally Posted by ZdenoK View Post
    If you are having problems understanding such simple basic concepts of betting, I'm not sure if betting is the way to go for you.
    Thanks for further explanation, but no, elementary school math is not giving me problems. I'm just new to this.

ZdenoK
    ZdenoK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5733

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvar View Post
    Thanks for further explanation, but no, elementary school math is not giving me problems. I'm just new to this.
    You're welcome and good luck