CatHawk
    Update your status
    CatHawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3609

Panthers @ Senators - 12/19/13

The Cats are on the hunt! Florida has looked like a legitiment hockey team for a change and as a fan, I'm buying in. But, am I crazy for thinking Panthers get it done tonight against an inconsistent Sens team? Maybe...

Panthers execution on plays has been solid and they are starting to score more consistently. A good sign is the players buying into the coach's system. Horacheck has been the interim coach for the past 19 games going 10-8-1. Since the change, Panthers' players have rebooted mentally. With a new coach they feel like a new team that has a chance to prove itself once again.
    Quote from The Miami Herald: “It took a while, but look at what Pete has done, and I think it has been fantastic,’’ Brian Campbell said. “You almost have to give him those first two games back. Things changed, and everyone was given a good, clean slate. Guys were given opportunities, and we’ve bought in.’’ http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/1...#storylink=cpy .

Ok so? The Panthers think they can win... big deal right? I like the confidence though. It's always a little easier winning when a team believes in their coach. The whole team is working together and goals have been on an opportunistic basis. Love it.

Clemensen will be in net and has looked sharp in his recent outings. In his last three games he has stopped 68 of 72 shots with a 3-0-0 record with a shootout win. With Tim Thomas on IR till Friday, Scotty will have one more win to pull out on the road. With opposing goalie Andersen in net he may not have to be as stellar as he has been, though I'd prefer it.

Huberdeau has been a good young player for the Panthers. The kid's sophmore year isn't superb but he has a knack for scoring (awesome shootout/penalty shot ability). He will be back in the line-up tonight and may offer some finesse on offense. This isn't huge news of course but he's a bright spot on their line-up.

Senators are coming off a terrible outing against the Devils on the road and haven't looked consistent all season. To top the frustration off, they can't seem to keep the puck out of the net lately and have had a 3.28 GAA since last playing the Panthers Dec. 3. At home they have been rather disappointing with a 7-9-3 record. I liked the win against the Blues but again inconsistency prevailed and they followed it up with a loss to an average Devils team.

Craig Andersen has been god awful in net with a 3.36 GAA. Yikes! When this guy's confidence is shaken he is worthless. A bit of personal out-look here... As a Panther fan, I was a mad fat believer in Craig when he was our back-up. He would come out and play hard every time making crazy saves. He was confident. Didn't have the best record I think, but he passed the eye test to me. Wasn't surprised he got a starting position in Colorado the next year(s). Recently I have not been so convinced of his ability to keep the puck from crossing that all too important line. I wonder if his confidence will be an issue tonight.

I get it, Senators have had Florida's number this season but I smell revenge stew cooking on the fire. Historically I'm crazy for picking this. The Sens own the Cats. Florida has lost their last 7 at Ottawa. However, Senators haven't been playing well at home this season and in Florida's last meeting at Ottawa, Horacheck was on his first day as head coach. The Panthers team was a mess then. This is a much better Cats team now and they will look to answer back.

Anyways, as usual I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts/discussion on the game. I'm willing to admit I'm being a bit of a homer but I think the Panthers have a good chance here at the very least. As always... Good luck everyone!!

Panthers (+115) @ Senators

jonnyboy21
    jonnyboy21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1455

Sens are better at home, but the Cats definitely have a decent chance against a weary Sens outfit. Good luck

CatHawk
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy21 View Post
    Sens are better at home, but the Cats definitely have a decent chance against a weary Sens outfit. Good luck
    Thanks jon. Ya, Ottawa had a nice home record last season.

Jeez, a write up... a pick... my home team... I really put all my eggs in one basket lol.

as99
    as99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2252

Going with Sens.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

I'll be heading withe cats as well. Apparently there's some unsettlement in the dressing room. Leadership issues to

CatHawk
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by as99 View Post
    Going with Sens.
    Ah, yes. I saw in your thread. I would enjoy it if you were wrong lol. But good luck on your card for the night!

CatHawk
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    I'll be heading withe cats as well. Apparently there's some unsettlement in the dressing room. Leadership issues to
    Really? That would explain their recent woes... or vice versa. As usual, good insight Matt.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by CatHawk View Post
    Really? That would explain their recent woes... or vice versa. As usual, good insight Matt.

Thanks man. Apparently the players aren't buying into the owner ships direction of building a winner. There's no real leadership after alfredsson left. Huge hole IMO. I just see Ottawa as very inconsistant all year. I'm not sure how anderson will play tonight, he's been somewhat cold all year long. FLA is gaining confidence and getting a bit healthy. If Thomas is in net I would play Florida tonight

Donnymc10
    Donnymc10's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Scott Clemmensen will pull through for the Panthers tonight once again. That's if he plays tonight

CatHawk
    Update your status

Tim Thomas will not be ready till Friday from what i'm reading. I'd love it if Clemenson continued his keen performance tonight but wouldn't be surprised in a normal Sens/Cats afair to the tune of 4-3, 4-2, 3-2. I'll admit, when I saw Clemensen in net earlier this year I straight up hated him. But I can't deny his recent net work. Fingers crosssed...

CatHawk
    Update your status

The Miami Herald - Goalie Tim Thomas (groin) worked out for the second day in a row, but Horachek said they will not rush him back into the lineup. Thomas is eligible to come off the injured list for Friday's game in Winnipeg.

Guess it's not official but there it is...

CatHawk
    Update your status

BOOM!! Damn I am pumped right now! Awesome game! Panthers take it 4-2

CatHawk
    Update your status

Florida came out cold. Let up two early goals, one on a PP. But man... they really turned it on in the second and third. Totally out played the sens and got soooo many good chances. Loving how this Panthers team is playing right now!!

matt1216

Good job Mr. Hawk!

CatHawk
    Update your status

Thanks matt. I was definitely worried with a 2-1 ott start.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by CatHawk View Post
    Thanks matt. I was definitely worried with a 2-1 ott start.
    I had Philly big down 3-0 to start the 3rd. I couldn't believe it. Philly scored 5 goals in the 3rd. Weird team Philly is

lunch
    lunch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 377

Easy win, Ottawa is a good fade from here on out. The softy Jason Spezza is Ottawa's team captain

CatHawk
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    I had Philly big down 3-0 to start the 3rd. I couldn't believe it. Philly scored 5 goals in the 3rd. Weird team Philly is
    Ya what a crazy game that was! I'll have to check the summary on that game. I bet that felt nice gettin a surprise win.

CatHawk
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lunch View Post
    Easy win, Ottawa is a good fade from here on out. The softy Jason Spezza is Ottawa's team captain
    Ya for real. What is he like -14 now or something? Someone tell me y he's on my weekly roster
    Last edited by CatHawk; 12-20-13 at 05:22 AM.