tbird509
    tbird509's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3256

underdogs are hitting against the spread at 65%

Take a look at covers and look at league trends in nhl section, it shows underdogs against the spread are winning at 65% .against the spread in hockey means the puck line.im a long time gambler but betting the puck line is very new to me, my question is the underdog the team that is plus money, yesterdays game for example

ny islanders +1.5 -225
    Washington-1.5. +205

in this example, washington is favored by -1.5 but their a underdog with +205...to clear this up, the plus money with wash +205 even though their favored on the puck line are they the underdog? My understanding is plus money is the dog even though their favored by -1.5...can somebody please clear this up, theirs alot of money betting on dogs hitting at 65% ,just have to make sure this is clear before I start pounding it
    Last edited by tbird509; 11-06-13 at 10:40 AM.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Lol no
    Wash is favored to win by 2 goals making new york the dog. You're looking at the wrong plus.

Isn't average juice on a puckline underdog about -300 or so, meaning you'd probably have to hit around 65% of those to be even anyhow

Lift2beFit
    Lift2beFit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1571

65% against the spread (typically ML for hockey), or PL??

Vinnie Paz

Against the spread in NHL means the puckline

The puckline is the spread guys

Vinnie Paz

An NHL underdog against the spread is the +1.5 on the puckline, meaning that team must keep the score within 1 goal to win your wager.

tbird509

According to covers.com customer support, the underdog in this scenario is wash, they said dont pay attention to the +1.5 or -1.5,they said the underdog is the plus money which is wash +205 -1.5....but lets get some more peoples thoughts on this

tbird509

Quote Originally Posted by Lift2beFit View Post
    65% against the spread (typically ML for hockey), or PL??
    Against the spread means puck line, I just need to know who the dog is on the puck line

tbird509

Hello,It's best not to look at Puck Lines in terms of favorites or dogs. Simply +1.5 -225 NY Islanders would mean = they can lose by 1 and still win however you will be paying a steep price at -255 (betting $255 will net you $100). And, Washington -1.5 +205 would mean = Washington needs to win by 2, difficult but you will get +205 (betting $100 will net you $205).With regards to favorites and dogs, just look at the actual Moneyline on the game, not the Puck-Line. That will give you the indication of who is the dog or favorite.But yes you are correct, Washington would be the dog.Thank you,Customer Servicehttp://covers.comhttp://covers.com/ this is their email from covers

Barmelo91
    Barmelo91's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why would the dog be bet to win by 1.5, and the favorite to win +1.5? The PL raises odds for the favorite, and lowers odds for the dog.

rainman416
    rainman416's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 994

Quote Originally Posted by tbird509 View Post
    Hello,It's best not to look at Puck Lines in terms of favorites or dogs. Simply +1.5 -225 NY Islanders would mean = they can lose by 1 and still win however you will be paying a steep price at -255 (betting $255 will net you $100). And, Washington -1.5 +205 would mean = Washington needs to win by 2, difficult but you will get +205 (betting $100 will net you $205).With regards to favorites and dogs, just look at the actual Moneyline on the game, not the Puck-Line. That will give you the indication of who is the dog or favorite.But yes you are correct, Washington would be the dog.Thank you,Customer Servicehttp://covers.comhttp://covers.com/ this is their email from covers
    This is a very confusing message, I'm guessing was sent to you from that site…

Bottom line is..

IF +$ on ML: team is the Dog.

IF +$ on PL: team is the Fav.

However…

When looking at the PL.. betting on the team that is +1.5 is always the play that is more likely to hit… making "that play" the "Fave" … even though it is technically a bet being made on "the dog"

Whereas, IF you are betting on the team that is -1.5 on the PL.. it is the play that is less likely to hit.. making "that play" the dog "play" even though you are betting on the "Fave team"..

that was my interpretation of what you're trying to figure out..
    this is all really wordy, and confusing, but I hope that helped..

tbird509

so in the example in the 1st post the ny islanders is the dog??their -1.5 -225??...this shit is confusing,but thanks everybody,we are all here to help each other out....just to make this clear,the underdog is the ny islanders in the above example????? please confirm by name which team is the dog..thank you

ZdenoK
    ZdenoK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5733

Quote Originally Posted by tbird509 View Post
    so in the example in the 1st post the ny islanders is the dog??their -1.5 -225??...this shit is confusing,but thanks everybody,we are all here to help each other out....just to make this clear,the underdog is the ny islanders in the above example????? please confirm by name which team is the dog..thank you
    NY Islanders are the underdog, that's why they are at +1.5. Just check the Money Line odds for both teams and the one at + line is the underdog - meaning in PL they will be with +1.5 handicap.

rainman416
    rainman416's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 994

NYI is the DOG in that game. Period.

To play them on the PL @+1.5 however, would be -$ because in that play, they can WIN and it pays. or they can LOSE by 1 and it pays. that makes the play a chalky play, as more outcomes to the game are covered by the bet...

The key issue here I think is that we need to define our terms here...

A "Dog Team/Side" is the team that is most likely to lose straight up...

A "Dog Play/Bet" is the bet that is least likely to win...

when playing the ML.. the Dog will always pay more (i.e. will always be +money)

When playing the PL.. The dog will always pay less (but will payout more often because its +1.5)

.. Think I may have just gone cross-eyed.. this makes sense to me.. but.. it's very hard to articulate to others apparently..

GOOD LUCK!!