face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

seguin and kelly traded

Blockbuster: Boston trades Tyler Seguin and Chris Kelly to Dallas for Loui Eriksson, Vernon Fiddler and Cody Eakin.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Like the trade for both teams,

Eriksson is soon to be 28 and is a beast in the prime of his career.

Seguin is only 21 and has all star potential.

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

its seguin button and PEVERLEY. not kelly. seguin and peverley werent producing. bruins need to clear cap space. peverley making 3.38 seguin making 5.75. theyre paying 9 million of cap space to guys that had combined 3 goals. peverley underproduced after getting extension. seguin underproduced in playoffs.

i LOVE this trade as bruins fan. you surprised? bruins need to fill void on top line now that horton leaving... and seguin not it! peverley is overpaid and seguin is overpaid not worth the 9m they're getting paid. bruins tired of sinking 5.75m and 3.38 of cap space into guys that are not producing. you expect them to want to have to sink 5.75 into seguin for 6 more years or whatever it is? Chiarelli is smart GM. he knows the deal. he shipped that kid out of town beofre it was too late (at least now seguin has value that "he might get better"). if the bum plays couple more postseasons like this one... nobody will be saying he will get better they will just be calling him the bum that he is. he'd lose his trade value. at least now the "time value" is enough that even though intrinsic value isnt there, people can hope to get even on the time value (think options trading). they get another 25-30 goal scorer in return. the only people that were wild about seguin are the fans that dont watch every game. i spoke with someone that used to be high up in the organization last week and he said he hates seguin too. we were both talking about how bruins need to trade the bum last week and about how the fans know nothing. organization knows you dont pay 5.75m to player for 6 more years that gets 1goal in playoff. the speculation that he will get better is without merit. its all based on time value not intrinsic value. its been 3 years. marchand developed immediately. he had 3 years to develop and had his chance but he decided to be a party animal instead of focus on hockey. kid cant battle along the boards for jack shit. just look at game 4 SCF where he got beat along left boards on powerplay and gave up shorthanded goal. peter chiarelli is amazing GM (by far best in boston) and he knows what time it is. salary cap getting smaller you cant sink nearly 6m of cap space for 8 years into guy thats not producing in playoffs, and not focused on hockey. they get great goal scorer in return that they can put on top line now that horton gone. they get some prospects too.

GOOD MOVE shipping that overpaid bum out of town. they get 25 goal scorer in his prime in return. Chiarelli is top gm. proves me right and proves the seguin homer fans know nothing. kid's a skinny bum who's pathetic at battling along boards and more concerned with partying than hockey. i've been saying "trade the bum" for quite some time. all you fake boston fans call me crazy but i finally get vindicated.
    Last edited by hockey216; 07-04-13 at 08:08 PM.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Seguin showed some hustle and urgency in OT games but I guess bruins didnt like his maturity level? What can you expect from a 21 year old guy, he just wants to party and fck hot bitches, cant really blame him.

hockey216

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Seguin showed some hustle and urgency in OT games but I guess bruins didnt like his maturity level? What can you expect from a 21 year old guy, he just wants to party and fck hot bitches, cant really blame him.
    if he was making 3mil per year it wouldnt be as big of a concern. but the guy was making almost 6. and they had him for 6 more years at 5.75. thats huge contract. cant pay immature idiots that much money. salary cap too small. moving seguin and peverley tied up 9m of cap commitment in 2 guys not producing. allowed us cap space to sign iginla, rask, and get great goal scorer eriksson in return. great move for the cap. seguins contract too huge to be paying guy not producing. 6 more years at almost 6mil per is a huge contract in nhl. esp with salary cap shrinking this year. cant have that tied up into idiot party animal thats not producing. would rather have iginla or eriksson in instead.

Rich Boy

Seguin has superstar potential and would probably reach that in a few years

Erikson is getting old and Iginla is really really old

I like Seguin but most ppl dont, he will be a star in a few years

hockey216

Seguin has superstar potential and would probably reach that in a few years

Erikson is getting old and Iginla is really really old

I like Seguin but most ppl dont, he will be a star in a few years
    eriksson is in his prime, 27. Not sure how you think 27 is old. thats when athletes reach their primes in professional sports.

the "seguin reaches superstar potential" is speculation. he might reach it. he might not. who knows. he has produced great in regular season contributing 25-30, but he pulled a disappearing act in playoffs. i dont like players that give you 25-30 in season, then only 1 in playoffs. playoffs are what matters. seguin is too small and not a good enough battler for playoff hockey. he is not physical enough for playoff hockey. hes a regular season player like the sedins not a playoff player. 1 goal in 22 games doesnt make you worth 5.75 for 6 more years. im not trying to say the kid is horrible. he'd be a good asset for 3-4 million/year. but having nearly 6m tied into him for 6 more years is a big gamble. if he develops, then you break even for paying him 5.75... if he doesnt, you're stuck paying him double what he's worth. deal was also good because it allowed them to dump peverley to clear another 3.38m cap space. seguin just not physical enough and not good enough battler to be worth that kind of money for too long. not built for playoff hockey. he might continue to score 30 in regular season... but none of that matters if he only gets 1goal in 22 games in playoffs. maybe he'll develop maybe not. its been 3 years already. it's a gamble. what we know for sure is that there's no upside (even if seguin develops, he's not exceeding contract since hes top paid player at 5.75m for 6 more years), and there is downside (he continues to perform in playoffs as he just did, but keeps getting paid double what hes worth). his contract was just too big. he is a decent prospect and he might develop... but this shows the reality of how hard it is to build a stanley cup team with such a small salary cap in nhl. salary cap factors into everything in nhl bc its so small. bruins saw 9m being tied up into 2 underproducing players as problem. clear the 9m cap space from those guys, get a great goal scorer with harder work ethic like eriksson in return for only 4.25, and clear the cap space to resign rask and also go after another winger. bruins needed to fill void on that top line. losing horton big problem. seguin not solution he cant battle. thats why top line was so good horton and lucic are physical and dominated teams battling in offensive zone. bruins needed to sign 2 top level wingers and rask and another backup... and didnt have cap space because they had 9m tied up into peverley and seguin who werent producing anything. this was a no brainer move. chiarelli is very smart. cant have 9m tied up into 2 guys not producing. 9million is ton of $ in nhl. seguin is a gamble. hes great regular season scorer. but nobody cares about that. he was awful in the playoffs. not physical enough. plus the hip injury is concern.

Rich Boy

Seguin is only 21 and with some more discipline and training he could easily put on 10-15 lbs, his body has not reached its natural potential anyways.

And how can you expect him to score goals when he is playing on the 4th line?

hockey216

Seguin is only 21 and with some more discipline and training he could easily put on 10-15 lbs, his body has not reached its natural potential anyways.

And how can you expect him to score goals when he is playing on the 4th line?
    he was on the 2nd line until he stunk up the joint in playoffs and got demoted to the 3rd line. then he was on the 3rd line until he stunk up the joint and got demoted to the 4th line. he played better on 4th line than he did no 2nd line. He was on the 2nd line all year until he pulled a disappearing act in the playoffs.

Rich Boy

Bruins are basically trading their future for the potential to "win now". Seems like every team is obsessed with winning NOW, trade away all their prospects and once they lose in the playoffs, they suck shit for 5 years because they have nothing to build on (ie Canucks)

When has a late season pickup ever resulted in a stanley cup? Its usually a big time bust.

hockey216

Bruins are basically trading their future for the potential to "win now". Seems like every team is obsessed with winning NOW, trade away all their prospects and once they lose in the playoffs, they suck shit for 5 years because they have nothing to build on (ie Canucks)

When has a late season pickup ever resulted in a stanley cup? Its usually a big time bust.
    seguin is their future? what do you base this on? his 1 goal in the playoffs? again, you are speculating that he will improve. You can speculate he will improve, just as i can speculate that he will not improve. It has been 3 years. He is not built for playoff hockey. he can't battle for jack shit. he is not physical enough. he is a small guy. maybe he will get more physical, but i doubt it. even if he does get a little better, that would only make him live up to his contract. he has a huge contract that right now, he is badly under-performing. it's a gamble. There's no way to know whether he will get better. He is small, not physical, and has had long term hip injuries (another major concern). bruins didn't want to tie that much cap space for that many more years into underperforming players. And its not like they comitted all his cap room long term to another guy thats over the hill. eriksson only has 3 more years. iginla only 1 year. Iginla and eriksson are proven players. Bruins can go out and spend that 5.75m on a player that is actually producing great in playoffs. Why keep it with guy underperforming, hoping for a gamble? 5.75 can get you guy that plays much better in playoffs than seguin just did. Like i said, if seguin was making 3mil, trading him would have been a bad move. but when a guy's got a huge contract, making almost 6, has bad long term hip injury, is badly underperforming his contract in playoffs, is party animal not focused on hockey, deciding to go with another guy who is in his prime, just as good, and cheaper, is a good move. Cap figures into everything in hockey because its so small. seguins contract is huge. It's a big gamble. you are speculating that he will "become future star." I can equally speculate that he already matured with next season being his 4th year in the league, and that he's just not built for playoff hockey, and there's no reason to assume he improves. maybe he gets better. maybe not. but right now he played 22 games with only 1 goal. pro rata that's 3.5 per 82 games. he does great in regular season, but sucks in playoffs. maybe he will get better. maybe not. it's a gamble. you can speculate however you want, but tying up 6m of cap space for 6 more years into a guy playing TERRIBLE in the playoffs is not wise. Trading him, and getting great player in prime in return for less money was good idea. I would have liked to keep seguin. if he was making 3m or 4m we keep him. but his contract was just too big and clogging up bruins cap room. when guy is not producing and has huge contract like that, teams are gonna move him. i like low risk, high reward gambles. I do not like high risk, low reward gambles. even if he steps up, that only makes him worth 5.75 which is what hes getting now. no upside only downside. Move was also good because it allowed us to dump peverley's 3.38m. Peverley was underproducing and bruins needed to get his 3.4m cap hit off the books.

bruins have lots of needs. they needed to resign rask, sign 2 wingers, and have room to give bergeron and seidenberg their raises next season to not lose them to free agency. would you rather lose bergeron hoping for gamble on seguin to turn out? seguin was overpaid. his contract was too big. it was preventing bruins from doing what they needed to do in other areas. they had to make the move. it was smart decision. Chiarelli is a very smart GM. One of best in sports. He knows what he is doing. Getting 9m of cap commitment from 2 underperforming guys was smart. Now they can acquire and resign people who are actually producing.

Bruins got Eriksson, Iginla with a little bit more than the cap space they were giving to seguin, peverley. eriksson and iginla would do better in 22 games in the playoffs than 1g and 2g.

bruins have tons of prospects in the system, and just signed like 5 more.
    Last edited by hockey216; 07-06-13 at 12:44 AM.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

Like the Kelly pick up for Dallas...Will provide good depth.

hockey216

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerHere View Post
    Like the Kelly pick up for Dallas...Will provide good depth.
    kelly wasnt traded. peverley was. bruins needed to get his 3.38m off books (in addition to seguins 5.75) to regisn rask, aquire a top line winger to replace horton, and give bergeron extension. seidenberg also gonna be free agent next season. one of most underrated defensemen in nhl i think. nobody ever talks about him, but he is top shutdown defenseman.
    Last edited by hockey216; 07-07-13 at 12:39 AM.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

I like the Bruins moves, they did what they could given their financial circumstances. Eriksson is a solid player and Iggy should benefit from playing a full season on a new team. He's still got a couple years left in the tank.

Pretty crazy Seguin is still only 21 I forgot how young he is. I heard the Bruins weren't impressed with his extra-curricular activity aka late nights at the bars

I never see Seguin getting over 75 points in a season anyways though so it's probably not the end of the world losing him. The Bruins will still be fine without him.

petey5
    petey5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17001

Love this move for the Bruins. Eriksson is underrated and they saved a lot of money towards the cap.

hockey216

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    I like the Bruins moves, they did what they could given their financial circumstances. Eriksson is a solid player and Iggy should benefit from playing a full season on a new team. He's still got a couple years left in the tank.

Pretty crazy Seguin is still only 21 I forgot how young he is. I heard the Bruins weren't impressed with his extra-curricular activity aka late nights at the bars

I never see Seguin getting over 75 points in a season anyways though so it's probably not the end of the world losing him. The Bruins will still be fine without him.
    bruins got better by trading him. Now the bruins have Eriksson and Iginla instead of seguin and peverley. I'll take eriksson and iginla over seguin and peverley any day. clearing pverleys 3.3 cap hit was good move. seguin is stupid party animal concerned more with going out and getting drunk at 2 in the morning than with winning the cup. if he was scoring goals in the playoffs, and wasnt making almost 6mil per year for another 6 years, people wouldn't have cared. However, when you have huge contract, and only score 1 goal in 22g in playoffs, and when the team needs to clear cap space to fill other needs (signing top line winger, signing rask, clearing cap room to resign bergeron and seidenberg (free agents next year)... the GM is gonna wonder why he's losing important assets like Bergeron and seidenberg to free agency to continue to overpay a stupid party animal like Seguin that is not producing. he is a good prospect, and if he was making 3mil they'd be crazy to trade him. but when guy has huge contract and is underperforming, and doenst even care about hockey and is distracted, team is gonna move him to solidify team in other areas. im not a fan of huge long term contracts to stupid party animals. bruins didnt lose out either. eriksson just as good as seguin for less money (4.3 i think).. plus they clear over 9m of cap space because they got rid of underperforming peverley's 3.3m cap hit.

They went from Peverley and Seguin to Eriksson and Iginla. i'll take that any day.

hockey216

Quote Originally Posted by petey5 View Post
    Love this move for the Bruins. Eriksson is underrated and they saved a lot of money towards the cap.
    great 2 way player. and hes cheaper only 4.3 i think not 5.75. they got rid of 9m cap space tied up in 2 guys that werent producing anything. this was no brainer. They got better and cleared cap space at same time. Chiarelli is one of the best GM's in sports. Former agent and hockey player, Harvard graduate (and law school grad)... very smart man. He knows what he is doing. he put together a stanley cup winning team in just a couple years. look at team he had when he came here and the team he put together in such short time. the depth is tremendous. this isnt baseball where he can go out and spend 200m. to do that in that short a time with the small salary cap is tremendous. He is a top GM. everyone trashing him now because they're seguin homers... but i'd like to see them try to do as good a job as he did. Chiarelli knows what he is doing. hope the bruins extend him next year.
    Last edited by hockey216; 07-07-13 at 02:09 AM.