bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ex-NHL Coach Jacques Demers Says He's Illiterate

just goes to show ya, anyone can coach a team to a championship. if there loaded down with talent.

Ex-NHL Coach Demers Says He's Illiterate

By Associated Press

November 3, 2005, 5:04 PM EST

MONTREAL -- Jacques Demers, who coached the Montreal Canadiens to the Stanley Cup in 1993 and was later a general manager in the NHL, admits in a newly released biography that he is illiterate.

"I could read a little bit but I can't write very well," Demers said at a party for the book's launch. "I took to protecting myself. You put a wall around yourself. And when I was given the possibility of talking, I could speak well and I think that really saved me."

In the book "Jacques Demers: En Toutes Lettres," which roughly translates to "All Spelled Out," Demers said his inability to read and write was the result of an abusive and impoverished childhood.

"All I wanted from my father was to treat me with love," Demers said. "Not to beat me up when I did something wrong. Not to beat up my mom. It really hurt me because he took away my childhood.

"The other thing I wanted to say was that if I could not write or read, it was because I had so much of a problem with anxiety because of the things going on in the family. I couldn't go to sleep at night. I'd go to school and I couldn't learn anything."

The book, which was released Wednesday, was written by Canadian journalist Mario Leclerc.

Demers coached the Quebec Nordiques, St. Louis Blues, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal and the Tampa Bay Lightning, where he was also general manager in the late 1990s.

He was able to hide his illiteracy from all but a few people by asking secretaries and media relations people to write letters for him, claiming his English wasn't good enough.

Even his wife Debbie didn't know until he told her after he put off writing checks to cover household bills for several days.

When he was a general manager, he brought in Cliff Fletcher and Jay Feaster as assistants to handle contracts he couldn't read.

"I never really was a GM," he said. "I hired Cliff Fletcher and Jay Feaster because I knew I couldn't do that."

Since leaving the NHL coaching ranks, Demers has worked as a hockey analyst at the French-language RDS network for the last four years.

For now, he is happy that he has gone public with his illiteracy.

"I have no problem saying what I wanted to say. That's what I needed," he said. "I've been carrying this all my life. I succeeded, and I'm telling people `you're capable of doing something in your life even if you have some big handicaps.'"

Max Levine
    Max Levine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, I saw his interview last night. Quite touching when he mentioned how difficult it was to keep it a secret out of shame. Nevertheless, his career was a great accomplishment.

Max

bigboydan

max, he had the assistance coaches reading him stuff all the time. i'm suprised nobody caught it a long time ago.

Max Levine
    Max Levine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually, he did say that some people figured it out. They just kept it to themselves. As Demers mentioned, he wouldn't have been able to work in the NHL if they had known.

He was also an analyst both on radio and television. I remember him looking at his notes when asked a q, lol

Max
    Last edited by Max Levine; 11-03-05 at 05:38 PM. Reason: I may not be illiterate but I still can't spell

bigboydan

well, i guess when your a stanley cup winning coach, they will do anything to keep you around.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Here are a few other coaches whom I suspect might be illiiterate as well:

Bobby Bowdon
    Jerry Glanville
    Marty Morninhwig

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear
    Here are a few other coaches whom I suspect might be illiiterate as well:

Bobby Bowdon
    Jerry Glanville
    Marty Morninhwig
    Marty Morninhwig isn't illiiterate, he's just stupid .. what kind of moran doesn't want to recieve the kickoff first, when your in overtime.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Marty Morninhwig isn't illiiterate, he's just stupid .. what kind of moran doesn't want to recieve the kickoff first, when your in overtime.
    I agree. Hes just plain stupid.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

How many NBA players would you say are illiterare? I'd say quite a few.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear
    How many NBA players would you say are illiterare? I'd say quite a few.

well lets put it this way double B, i don't want to run up johns bandwith costs ... so i'll just say "alot" of them are.

Debbie
    Debbie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
    Actually, he did say that some people figured it out. They just kept it to themselves. As Demers mentioned, he wouldn't have been able to work in the NHL if they had known.

He was also an analyst both on radio and television. I remember him looking at his notes when asked a q, lol

Max
    People are very compassionate, usually, when they run into something like this.
    If he was doing his job, and he compensated for his illiteracy then what difference does it make.
    It great that he got it out in the open - living with same is a heavy load to carry - what I wonder is why he didn't attempt to learn later in life (or is he dyslectic?)
    Acctually - it even makes him more admirable in my eyes - a roll model to prove that if there is a will there is a way.
    Last edited by bigboydan; 05-13-08 at 12:41 AM. Reason: please stop posting those links in your threads.