PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Philadelphia Flyers 35 Game Unbeaten Streak Remains Intact

That shit ain't never gonna be broken so fukk you Chicago.

By the way, the Cubs will never win another World Series again. Not ever.

Seriously, not ever.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bige0617

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Points Awarded:

ChiLLx gave Deuce 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ColdBeerHere, Mikeyanks23, and I/O

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

And now Philly has

image.jpg

nammertl
    nammertl's Avatar Become A Pro!

it really is true what they say about philly sports fans.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

35 games. Insane

That must have been some cup celebration in Philly that year.

Oh wait...nevermind
    Points Awarded:

I/O gave muldoon 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Ties are for losers.

The real winning streak record is by the Pens.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    And now Philly has

image.jpg

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    That shit ain't never gonna be broken so fukk you Chicago.

By the way, the Cubs will never win another World Series again. Not ever.

Seriously, not ever.
    if you did a time series model for "length of time to victory" a piss poor team might have expected value of 50 years? Maybe 100. Maybe if they never won, it would be 200 years. 1,000 years? But because its a strictly increasing function, as #wins increases with time, if you took the limit of the #wins function as time went to infinity, the #wins function would go to infinity as well. Albeit at a slower pace, but (#wins vs. time) is a time-series statistical function that is strictly increasing with increases in time. Cannot have world series wins revoked. Can only win more. Each year, the probability of winning is nonzero, and strictly positive (even if small). Even if probability was so small that it was a 0.01% chance of winning each year, the number of wins would still increase with time. It would not go out to infinity with 0 wins, because there is a finite, probability of winning each year. Them winning is still in the sample space. It's possible even if not probable. Thus, they will win another world series. If you gave them 100 million years, they would have TONS of world series wins. As you increase the number of years, the number of wins increases too. So yes, at some point in time, they will win their 1st. They will also win their 2nd. It could be 100 years from now. 1,000 years from now. who knows. because there is a nonzero probability related to the possibility of them winning, it would be mathematically incorrect to say that they "will never win 1 ever." In the next 100 million years, the number of world series wins would be greater than 0. It would be a lot greater. Huge. The mean would be 1,000 wins if probability of winning each year was 0.00001 (1 in 100,000 percent chance). So yes, they will win one. They will keep winning more as time increases. Mathematical certainty.

The only solution where that would yield 0 wins when you take the limit of the function as time goes to infinity is the trivial one, corresponding to probability 0 winning each and every year. That doesn't mean unlikely. That means not in sample space - cannot occur under any circumstance- impossible. They do not have probability 0 to when. Even if probability of winning is 1 in 100,000 (meaning they'd average just 1 win every 100,000 years), the number of wins would still increase to infinity as time increases to infinity. Even if you gave them an infinitely small probability of winning, the limit would still hold and number of wins would still approach infinity as time approaches infinity. Obviously time would approach infinity faster.

So yes, cubs will win a world series. I say this with probability 100%. They will win an infinite amount of world series' if you give them an infinite amount of trials.

Welcome to mathematics.
    Last edited by hockey216; 03-09-13 at 06:58 AM.

tombuckers
    Buck Man
    tombuckers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Funny F***ing thread.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Points Awarded:

bige0617 gave PhillyFlyers 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Footballtime
    Footballtime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

The Streak ends in Boston this afternoon homie....................... 5-3 bruins win!

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by hockey216 View Post
    if you did a time series model for "length of time to victory" a piss poor team might have expected value of 50 years? Maybe 100. Maybe if they never won, it would be 200 years. 1,000 years? But because its a strictly increasing function, as #wins increases with time, if you took the limit of the #wins function as time went to infinity, the #wins function would go to infinity as well. Albeit at a slower pace, but (#wins vs. time) is a time-series statistical function that is strictly increasing with increases in time. Cannot have world series wins revoked. Can only win more. Each year, the probability of winning is nonzero, and strictly positive (even if small). Even if probability was so small that it was a 0.01% chance of winning each year, the number of wins would still increase with time. It would not go out to infinity with 0 wins, because there is a finite, probability of winning each year. Them winning is still in the sample space. It's possible even if not probable. Thus, they will win another world series. If you gave them 100 million years, they would have TONS of world series wins. As you increase the number of years, the number of wins increases too. So yes, at some point in time, they will win their 1st. They will also win their 2nd. It could be 100 years from now. 1,000 years from now. who knows. because there is a nonzero probability related to the possibility of them winning, it would be mathematically incorrect to say that they "will never win 1 ever." In the next 100 million years, the number of world series wins would be greater than 0. It would be a lot greater. Huge. The mean would be 1,000 wins if probability of winning each year was 0.00001 (1 in 100,000 percent chance). So yes, they will win one. They will keep winning more as time increases. Mathematical certainty.

The only solution where that would yield 0 wins when you take the limit of the function as time goes to infinity is the trivial one, corresponding to probability 0 winning each and every year. That doesn't mean unlikely. That means not in sample space - cannot occur under any circumstance- impossible. They do not have probability 0 to when. Even if probability of winning is 1 in 100,000 (meaning they'd average just 1 win every 100,000 years), the number of wins would still increase to infinity as time increases to infinity. Even if you gave them an infinitely small probability of winning, the limit would still hold and number of wins would still approach infinity as time approaches infinity. Obviously time would approach infinity faster.

So yes, cubs will win a world series. I say this with probability 100%. They will win an infinite amount of world series' if you give them an infinite amount of trials.

Welcome to mathematics.
    you try to sound intelligent yet ignore the absolute fact that the world series almost certainly won't be in existence 100,000 years from now.
    name some professional sports that lasted more than 300 years, i'll give you a hint there aren't any

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    you try to sound intelligent yet ignore the absolute fact that the world series almost certainly won't be in existence 100,000 years from now.
    name some professional sports that lasted more than 300 years, i'll give you a hint there aren't any
    Exactly. Therefore, the Cubs will NEVER win another World Series again.

hockey216

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    sports havent lasted 300 years because there was no television and no way to market it. to fill stadiums every night you need big populations and you need to drive cars. Also media coverage (tv, espn sportscenter) creates hype and increases demand. The modern technological age (and automobiles) has made professional sports the lucrative market it now is.

In terms of the math, i was just showing that if you have a non-zero probability, even if its infinitely small, that if you take the limit of the probability mass function as time goes to infinity, the number of successes would go to infinity as well. I used the crazy large sample size just to illustrate the example that even if the cubs chance of winning every year is 0.0000000001%, they would still win a world series with probability 100% as time increases to infinity. Obviously time would have to be very long to get a team to win under that probability, but nonetheless, because the probability is not 0, they will win at some point. The only way to be guaranteed to have 0 wins for infinite amount of trials is to have a probability of success=0. I could have dont the example giving that with fixed 3% chance every year (binomial distribution), the expected value of number of years to get 1 success is 33.33. E.g. With 300 years (and 3% chance/year), they win 1 or more titles in next 300 years with probability .9999 = 99.99%. I was just showing it in the extreme case to illustrate the example. I was verbally summarizing a calculus-based statistical proof. The assumption of the model is that the league does not cease to exist. Obviously if league gets cancelled, the probability of any team winning = probability of any other team winning = 0. And this is the case where the cubs dont win it. I said in the proof that the only solution to have 0 wins is to have a 0% probability of winning. Because it's in the sample space and because they could win (even if unlikely), that's not the case. But obviously if league ceases to exist, the number of future trials is 0, and you can't have a success without having a trial. I was taking the limit of the probability mass function as n, the number of trials (years), goes to infinity. Obviously n has to be able to go to infinity for you to take that limit. The math was all legit. The point was that every team will win a championship if they are given enough time. Even if probability of winning infinitely small (the 1 in 100,000 case), if the number of trials, n, is large enough, they're still expected to win at some finite point in time (even if very far out in future) with probability 100%. Obviously if league gets cancelled, then number trials (years) cannot go to infinity because league doesn't exist. That is an assumption of the proof.
    Last edited by hockey216; 03-09-13 at 11:47 AM.

hockey216

Exactly. Therefore, the Cubs will NEVER win another World Series again.
    The only thing that could stop them from winning is the cancellation of the league. If the league never gets cancelled and MLB continues to be a sport forever, they are guaranteed an infinite amount of victories with probability 100%. If league never gets cancelled, and continues forever, cubs will win an infinite amount of championships. The number of championships will approach infinity slower than the number of trials (years) will approach infinity, though. I could write you a calculus-based mathematical proof. I am college educated in probability theory (statistics).
    Last edited by hockey216; 03-09-13 at 11:45 AM.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

So you started a thread saying no one will ever beat the Flyers NHL record....yet your defense is Chicago will never win another World Series??

You're penetrating retarded.

44ruo3fm.jpg

VegasInsider
    Update your status

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL 2-0 Bruins

Flyers suck nuts.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL 3-0

VegasInsider
    Update your status

VegasInsider
    Update your status

VegasInsider
    Update your status

VegasInsider
    Update your status

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Buried

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Official burial.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: I/O

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

Flyers getting run over like they were hit by a greyhound bus

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Official burial.
    Fitting for the worst poster on sbr

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    So you started a thread saying no one will ever beat the Flyers NHL record....yet your defense is Chicago will never win another World Series??

You're penetrating retarded.

44ruo3fm.jpg
    I don't need to defend it dikkhead, it speaks for itself. 35 games going unbeaten will never, ever be broken.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Were you even alive during that 35 game streak?

No -1800
    Points Awarded:

I/O gave CanuckG 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund
    altieriflyers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7788

PhillyFlyers, you are a disgrace to the Philadelphia sport`s fan base.
    Please stop making a fool out of you, it`s too painful.
    Be decent, speak your mind but with brains, what has the Cubs got to do with anything? We are talking hockey here, yes the Hawks didn`t broke the Flyer`s record, that`s good, but they sure kicked our ass and we lost the Stanley Cup. We haven`t won shit in hockey since the year I was born.
    Be classy, or at least try, and if you are going to bash some team be sure that is not going to backfire at you.
    Points Awarded:

InTheDrink gave altieriflyers 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: El Nino, and ColdBeerHere

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by altieriflyers View Post
    Be decent, speak your mind but with brains, what has the Cubs got to do with anything? We are talking hockey here, yes the Hawks didn`t broke the Flyer`s record, that`s good, but they sure kicked our ass and we lost the Stanley Cup. We haven`t won shit in hockey since the year I was born.
    Be classy, or at least try, and if you are going to bash some team be sure that is not going to backfire at you.
    Post of the year right here

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by altieriflyers View Post
    First of all, shut the fukk up.

Secondly, this is my thread and I'll talk about any fukkin thing I want to.

Third, I brought up the Cubs in the original post so they are part of this discussion from the beginning or can;t you read?

Fourth, the Blackhawks didn't kick our ass, the series went to 6 games and was won on one of the worst goals ever given up by a guy who's no longer in the NHL.

Learn your facts before you address me in my own thread asshole.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

First of all, shut the fukk up.

Secondly, this is my thread and I'll talk about any fukkin thing I want to.

Third, I brought up the Cubs in the original post so they are part of this discussion from the beginning or can;t you read?

Fourth, the Blackhawks didn't kick our ass, the series went to 6 games and was won on one of the worst goals ever given up by a guy who's no longer in the NHL.

Learn your facts before you address me in my own thread asshole.
    They won some division titles though, right?

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Wasn't PHI's 35 game record over the course of two different seasons?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Wasn't PHI's 35 game record over the course of two different seasons?
    No. Same season.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They won some division titles though, right?
    Where the fukk was Detroit when the Flyers and Blackhawks were playing for the Cup? Remind me again bitch.

12 Last