numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Confession: I Stink at NHL Betting

I am Canadian, I played hockey all my life right up until age 19. One season JrB hockey, and two seasons of JrC one level below the OHL. I know the game inside and out, I know the teams, the players, the stats. But I can't win an NHL wager to save my life.
    Every year when the NHL season starts I get excited, make some plays, and every year ends up the same-after the first week I just give up because I stink-bad. This year I have started off 2-10. A monkey or a camel or something could have picked better than that. I don't understand it. Is there some secret to betting hockey that I missed? I mean I am decent football capper and I think a pretty darn good basketball and baseball capper. But hockey....the sport I probably know best...nope.

What gives, any thoughts?

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4943

Only one thing you can do pal... make a thread and post your daily plays

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

follow me

bruins35
    bruins35's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    follow me

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

It's very volatile early in the season, it's probably best to wait until 3-4 weeks in at least so some trends start emerging. I am too much of a degenerate to heed my own advice though unfortunately

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

its a bullshit crapshoot out there. pucks bouncing around all over the place, random penalties and the goddamn shootout..

very unpredictable but good nhl cappers have an edge

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by numismatist View Post
    I am Canadian, I played hockey all my life right up until age 19. One season JrB hockey, and two seasons of JrC one level below the OHL. I know the game inside and out, I know the teams, the players, the stats. But I can't win an NHL wager to save my life.
    Every year when the NHL season starts I get excited, make some plays, and every year ends up the same-after the first week I just give up because I stink-bad. This year I have started off 2-10. A monkey or a camel or something could have picked better than that. I don't understand it. Is there some secret to betting hockey that I missed? I mean I am decent football capper and I think a pretty darn good basketball and baseball capper. But hockey....the sport I probably know best...nope.

What gives, any thoughts?
    12 bets is a lot already maybe?

You could try limiting yourself to just 1 or 2 per day and see if that helps.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

Keep posting for all to fade ??

At least get yourself some betpoints or something out of it

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Because a hockey mind would think that the Penguins would blow out the Leafs but in reality talent does not win in hockey like it does in the NBA.

Tonight we have 2-0 Sabres vs 0-2 Hurricanes.

One team looks good, the other team looks bad. Without looking too deep this early, Carolina would be the play regardless if they win.

FadeMyPlay
    FadeMyPlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 496

Over analyzing the picks? Being that you are really close to the sport are you allowing personal feelings/ideas to overshadow the basic facts? Being aWild homer I've noticed that over the last few years I've picked up this bad habit, over valuing my wild while basically hating on specific teams such as Vancouver, Detroit, and stars. For awhile I just tailed a friend who was on a good streak until I got back on track.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Season is early. Keep pressen.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Too much luck involved, little ass puck flying around...lucky bounces. Love it though.

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

bet underdogs early in the year.

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Thanks for all your advice. Going to keep watching but stay away from betting, except for a Pro-Line ticket here and there, for a few weeks. Cheers

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Because a hockey mind would think that the Penguins would blow out the Leafs but in reality talent does not win in hockey like it does in the NBA.

Tonight we have 2-0 Sabres vs 0-2 Hurricanes.

One team looks good, the other team looks bad. Without looking too deep this early, Carolina would be the play regardless if they win.

Deol
    Deol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5712

Wait until the playoffs and stick to betting on series, BOS-PHI 2 years ago was the definition of free money. Boston was the underdog even though PHI just came back from being down 0-3 the year before, there was no way BOS was losing that series. Easy $, you can always finds 2 or 3 good spots in the playofss IMO.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

You may want to lay low....if Canadian Authorities are trolling this site and find out a Canadian isn't good at hockey it could be grounds for being deported

kmc28
    kmc28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

i'm getting my ass kicked in NHL

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Not to worry....it will get worse!
    It has for me...........then you try another sport.