xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

NHL Relocating Teams to Canada Possibilities

I think this is going to happen aggressively soon. I am pretty sure Bettman now knows the futility of putting NHL teams in the southern US that won't make any money. I predict a large movement of teams to Canada, either by relocation or expansion.

Cities in the running...

Quebec
    Hamilton
    Halifax

and maybe Saskatoon and Regina.

Don Cherry mentioned that Saskatoon was getting a team soon. There was an NHL exhibition game schedualed to be played there this year until the lockout happened.

Are there any cities out in BC that could possibly support a team?

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8464

nope not in BC

xraygord

Maybe Victoria? Teams fly everywhere anyway, so being on an island shouldn't be a problem.

DwightShrute

no way. You need population. Hamilton and Quebec City have that. Regina? Perhaps because the have a whole Province for support. Halifax? No chance.

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23635

the league has been trying to sell meat to vegetarians....ie hockey to the US south. the league should have known....hockey won't work in phx and south florida etc.

the solution is to decrease the number of nhl teams and move as many as possible to canada.

xraygord

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    no way. You need population. Hamilton and Quebec City have that. Regina? Perhaps because the have a whole Province for support. Halifax? No chance.
    Yeah, I agree with the population thing, which is why I found it weird that Don Cherry said Sakatoon will be getting a team. But like you said, maybe with the whole province behind them. Maybe having Calgary and Edmonton close by would help. People that can't get tickets there could head to Saskatoon to take in games.

bruins35
    bruins35's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    i live in halifax and always thought we could support a team better then half the american teams. Oh and btw halifax is on pace to set attendence record in chl .selling out every game

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by bruins35 View Post
    i live in halifax and always thought we could support a team better then half the american teams. Oh and btw halifax is on pace to set attendence record in chl .selling out every game
    nice.

Sorry I wasn't aware they could support team.

Redman3693
    Redman3693's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 359

Toronto could easily support another team & sell it out every night just like the Leafs.

Now if Bettman could just grow a pair & admit it, the league would be a shitload more profitable.

Ya I know that MLSE would try & hold the league hostage for a kings ransom, but so what - bite the bullet, pay the $$$, & reap the rewards of a team that will easily be worth the value of 3 or 4 sunbelt teams...

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Only real option is Hamilton, without a doubt Niagara region could support a team

The players would NEVER want to play in Quebec city or Saskatchewan, kind of like Edmonton right now

Redman3693
    Redman3693's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 359

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    Only real option is Hamilton, without a doubt Niagara region could support a team

The players would NEVER want to play in Quebec city or Saskatchewan, kind of like Edmonton right now

The language barrier is a real bitch for Quebec (I live in Ottawa & deal with the crap every day as an English guy). There is easily enough support for a team, but the fans / media could easily turn on a player, especially if their not a Francophone.

Saskatchewan is real funkin cold & there is not a lot to do. Fans would be great though & there would be support for a team.