DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

Roberto Luongo will be traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs

Shannon: Luongo will be traded to Leafs

Roberto Luongo will be traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs once a new CBA is in place, writes Sportsnet insider John Shannon.

John Shannon | October 19, 2012, 3:57 pm

So there we were Wednesday night on Hockey Central, Jeff Marek, Nick Kypreos, John Garrett and I discussing the merits of Patrick Roy versus Martin Brodeur. And then the topic of what the Vancouver Canucks are going to do in goal when the NHL returns came up.
    To the shock of many, I blurted out that the Roberto Luongo-to-Toronto Maple Leafs deal “was done.”
    As with anything said on TV, the Twittersphere exploded for 36 hours with Leafs and Canucks fans wanting to know my source, who was involved, how the two teams could talk during a lockout -- all legitimate questions for a deal of such magnitude.
    Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they. Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.
    Listen now: John Shannon talks Roberto Luongo with Jeff Blair
    However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.
    I do not know who or what he will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.
    Common sense, which seems to be in great shortage these days, puts Luongo in Toronto for a few key reasons.
    The Leafs can handle his salary, and there is a huge need in Toronto for a veteran goaltender. The Leafs organization is very familiar with Luongo’s talent, ability and personality. It is an excellent fit.
    As I have said all along, the deal in place is all contingent on what the new CBA says.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-16-15 at 11:20 AM. Reason: image does not exist

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Don't tease me Dwight!

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Don't tease me Dwight!
    Leafs are gonna be an instant playoff contender. He is a great goalie. Best they have had in decades.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Leafs are gonna be an instant playoff contender. He is a great goalie. Best they have had in decades.
    Yup he has been the best goalie our Nucks have ever had for sure with all that he has accomplished. He's just too mentally fragile (damaged goods) for my liking now. I could see him succeeding in Toronto since there's less expectation to win there but I could also see the media turning him into a Bryzgalov as well

Jones10
    Jones10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3152

Would be a huge move for the leafs if they get him...But I just want to see hockey again right now...

gti175
    gti175's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1509

How goood is lou with a shitty defense infront of him? He's gonna crumble infront of our media, and this will be the nail in the coffin for burke.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post

Yup he has been the best goalie our Nucks have ever had for sure with all that he has accomplished. He's just too mentally fragile (damaged goods) for my liking now. I could see him succeeding in Toronto since there's less expectation to win there but I could also see the media turning him into a Bryzgalov as well
    You can't have mental fragiltity in Toronto. He's better off in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by gti175 View Post
    How goood is lou with a shitty defense infront of him? He's gonna crumble infront of our media, and this will be the nail in the coffin for burke.

DwightShrute

Burke has to make the playoffs this year or he might be out of a job. Luongo will get them into the post season for sure.

vaas187
    vaas187's Avatar Become A Pro!

hate this for toronto...shitty salary, mediocre goalie.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by vaas187 View Post
    one of the winning-est goalies over the last decade with more shut outs that any other goalie except martin brodeur maybe. Ya mediocure.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

lol @ the leafs, the wealthiest team in the NHL but can't even make it into the post season let alone win a stanley cup

fuk the leafs, go senators
    Points Awarded:

DwightShrute gave SteelRain 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    lol @ the leafs, the wealthiest team in the NHL but can't even make it into the post season let alone win a stanley cup

fuk the leafs, go senators
    What does wealth have to do with a league that uses a salary cap, pal?

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Quote Originally Posted by vaas187 View Post
    Good Salary, Good Cap Hit, just long

Great goalie

So completely disagree
    Points Awarded:

zizoudane10 gave aznbluff 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by aznbluff View Post
    Good Salary, Good Cap Hit, just long

Great goalie

So completely disagree
    He couldn't get it done with one of the best defensive cores in the league in front of him, lost his job to a kid. How could you possibly think he'd be a good fit with the garbage defense TOR has?

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    He couldn't get it done with one of the best defensive cores in the league in front of him, lost his job to a kid. How could you possibly think he'd be a good fit with the garbage defense TOR has?
    huh?

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    huh?
    VAN defense good. TOR defense bad.

Luongo lost starting job in VAN with good defense.

Luongo would get slaughtered in TOR with bad defense.

Not rocket science, pal.

DwightShrute

Not rocket science, pal.
    NO GOALIE is gonna win the cup by himself. In the finals against Boston Lu got 2 shutouts even though Vancouver lost in 7 for example. It's easy to blame the goalie when they lose but if the team in front of him doesn't do their job then chances are they won't hoist the cup. I know it's fashionable to blame the goalie a lot of the time but most understand its a team game. It's wasn't Luongo's fault they lost the Cup. If the Leafs get him, he will take them to the playoffs for sure, pal.

GunnShow
    GunnShow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not rocket science, pal.

Luongo played very well behind the awful Florida defense in the early 2000's, so I don't think Toronto's D would be the issue.

The media, the fans, the expectations.... Luongo would crumble under the pressure in TO, just like so many players before him.

vaas187
    vaas187's Avatar Become A Pro!

meh....if you dont live in the city of toronto, your opinion is useless because you dont know shit about the leafs and the city.

frankly, if you're american you dont know shit about it.....ive been a leaf fan my whole life and dont see how this helps the team at all.....like the other guy said, couldnt get it done in vancouver with one of the better roster line ups, how does it help toronto....you're giving up youth just to make the playoffs, they wont win the cup so who gives a shit...CUP OR BUST. first round knockouts are for dallas or pheonix; shitty hockey markets.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by GunnShow View Post
    Luongo played very well behind the awful Florida defense in the early 2000's, so I don't think Toronto's D would be the issue.
    Different era of the game.

Pride
    rally rally rally
    Pride's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

the nhl forum proves once again to be full of morons who know nothing about the game.

luongo is still an elite goaltender in the league and anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded