hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Bruins sign Seguin to extension

Like Seguin but not for that price. 6million/yr range is too much. Bruins spent a lot of money resigning seguin Krejci and Marchand. Now bruins have no cap space for the guys that REALLY MATTER (Rask, Horton, Lucic). That is trouble because after rask's 1 year contract expires, they will have no goalie. (If you are thinking Subban will come in and win us a cup in next 3 years, just shoot me). Now they have no cap space to resign Lucic, Horton, Rask. I think there is another key upcoming FA's as well (defenseman right? is it seidenberg/boychuk/ference/mcquaid?).

Bruins dumped all their money into Krejci, Marchand, and Seguin. I would have rather seen it dumped into Rask, Lucic, and Horton.

but thats just me.

Lots of fake bruins fans love seguin because they never watched him before the point they saw him score a couple goals in the TB series in 2011. It's funny. The bruins tripled their fan base in 3 weeks. Their facebook page had like 200,000 likes in april. After they won the cup it had over a 1million. Really, the fan base quintupled in just 3 weeks? They thought he was always that good not realizing he went on like a 20 game cold streak with only 1 goal during the regular season that year and is a defensive liability. Not to mention he struggles fitting into julien's system of cycling and battling along the boards. Lucic and Horton are animals battling along the boards. They are big, can hit, and win those battles. Seguin is too small in my opinion. I think Lucic and Horton better built for Julien's system. Regarding people's concern regarding Horton's concussion... i think its merely speculation. Maybe the 2nd one was worse. who knows. but he had a severe concussion in cup finals of 2011 and came back in 2012 to score 17 goals in 46 games (0.37 goals per game). Seguin only scored 0.35 goals per game. Not to mention that seguin only scored that many because he took practically 100 more shots than every other forward on the team. Seguin's shooting percentage was one of the worst among bruins forwards at 12.0%. Horton scored on 18.9% of shots and Lucic scored on 17.4% of shots. I dont think Horton is the lights out scorer everyone proclaims he is. He just shoots the puck more than everyone else. And he misses a much higher percentage of the time. Besides, he is only 180lbs and Julien's system is optimized by big forwards who can battle along the boards. The thought of 180lb seguin battling a big 230lb defenseman along the boards is laughable. I also think that Seguin is not very good on defense. I think he is a good prospect. I think he is good young talent. I think he has great potential.

...but if i had to choose between Seguin on the one hand, or Lucic, Horton, and SIGNING A GOALIE since Thomas is MIA... i think the goaltending situation needs to be fixed with a Rask extention and bruins need to resign Horton and Lucic.

Not meant to bash seguin. I think he is good young talent. But i dont think he is as fit for Julien's system of grinding, cycling, battling along the boards hockey as Lucic and Horton are. I would have to see Lucic or Horton leave just to keep Seguin. Not to mention now the bruins have no capspace to resign a top goalie! If rask has a good year, he will be too pricey to resign under the cap space and it will be "Let's hope rookie Subban can win us a cup!" (just shoot me).

Here's what i commented on ESPN page:

(obviously the Seguin fanatics who only watch 5 bruins games a year disagreed).

Given that Thomas is MIA and may never return, signing a top goaltender should be the top priority. Rask only got a 1 year deal. If we dont have cap space to resign rask, will will have no goalie (i doubt subban will win us cup in next 5 years). Lucic is critical to bruins system of dump/chase and cycling. you need those big forwards to bang and win battles along the boards. That's julien's system. Seguin has struggled to fit into Julien's system of battling along the boards. Horton came back from concussion last year and was great in the 46 games he had (scored on 18.9% of his shots - #1 on team). Seguin scored 29 goals, but he also shot the puck practically 100 times more than everyone else on offense. He scored 3-5 more goals than most other offense only because he took 100 more shots than them. Seguins shooting percentage is just 12.0%. Lucic' is 17.4% and Horton's is 18.9%. Plus, Lucic and Horton are big and can battle along boards and play physical - basically Julien's whole system. seguin is 180lbs and too small to battle along boards. Plus, Seguin is not a good defender. He is a mediocre defender at best. That's why i like Horton and Lucic better. Plus, i think that considering the bruins will have NO GOALIE next year besides Subban is a BIG CONCERN. Now, they have to either get rid of Lucic and Horton or Rask. Lucic Horton and Rask will be critical. I don't see why you fear Horton won't be same. All signs point that he will return ok. He returned last year and was great. Dont listen to media. Horton averaged 0.37 goals per game. Seguin averaged 0.358 goals per game. Horton's shooting percentage was #1 on the team, scoring on 18.9% despite coming off his concussion. Besides, who carried us through the entire 2011 playoffs? Horton had game 7 overtime winner against montreal. Horton also had game 7 winner in ECF against TB. He also had other overtime game winners. Horton was KEY in boston's 2011 cup run. Your assumption that he will be bad this year bc of concussion is speculation. He came off concussion last year and was #1 on team in shooting % and scored more goals per game then Seguin. Top that off with the fact that Bruins NEED to resign Rask, Lucic, and Horton... and now have NO CAP SPACE to do so... its an easy decision. I would go with Rask Lucic or Horton over Seguin anyday. Seguin has shown trouble fitting into Juliens system. Bruins don't play pond hockey. they battle along the boards and cycle. Seguin doesnt win battles along the boards like Lucic and Horton do. And next year the bruins wont have any goalie! Now the bruins have no cap space and have to kiss Lucic Horton and Rask goodbye. Don't be fooled by seguins 29 goals. he took 100 more shots than everybody else! His percentage was 12.0%. Lucic' was 17.4% and Horton's was 18.9%. Seguin isn't a better scorer per-say. He just shoots the puck a thousand times more than everybody else.
    Last edited by hockey216; 09-11-12 at 07:23 PM.

hockey216

that is just my opinion. Obviously i know that (fake) bruins fans love seguin. They voted him the Bruins #1 player award (6th man award) and they voted him to all star game ahead of Bergeron and other top guys. I think Bergeron and Chara are a little bit more important than Seguin... but bruins fans love him. Mainly because they didn't watch any of the 2010-2011 season up until the eastern conference finals and saw him score 3 goals or whatever. Then they got the impression that he was this good all year. When in fact, he was benched the entire playoffs because he sucked so bad in the regular season (20 game cold streak with only 1 goal). He only got ice time because of Bergeron concussion. And after those first 2 games, he was a non-factor the entire rest of the 2011 playoffs. Julien ended up BENCHING him again in game 7 of the cup finals because he returned to normal (ice cold and defensive liability). After his 3 goals in 2 games against TB, seguin went the next 11 games with 0 goals and only 1 pt.

yes he has gotton better. But i resent the love that bruins fans have for him. They think hes more important to the bruins than Chara and Thomas! They think hes better than Bergeron! it pisses me off. Yes the kid is good (on offense). But he's not very good on defense. And he can't battle along the boards for shit. That's problem because julien's system is practically 100% battling along the boards. yes the kid is a good offensive prospect. But jeez! He's not more critical to bruins success than Bergeron and Chara!

Yes seguin is good prospect.

but no, he is not the messiah that everyone hails him as.

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

6 mil a yr? guy is worth no where near that

hockey216

5.75mil/yr to be exact i think. I think it was a 6 year extention. I think seguin is good. I just think resigning Lucic, Horton, Rask should be a priority over signing seguin. Now that Thomas is gone, if bruins lose Rask to free agency next summer they have no goalie. i dont think rookie, just drafted Subban is going to lead us to a stanley cup in his first 3 years. Would like to resign seguin. but didnt want to use so much cap space that now we cant resign Lucic, Horton, Rask.

I think we should have saved the cap room to make sure we re-sign Lucic, Horton, Rask.

seguin is good though. nothing against him. i just put priority with signing lucic horton and rask first. signing seguin ate up a ton of cap space. now we might not resign lucic. that would suck. it would also suck to lose Rask now that Thomas is MIA. Horton is an animal too. If i had to point to one person who was responsible for the 2011 cup run (other than chara/thomas), i would say horton. SO MANY game winners in playoffs. had a few overtime winners. had 2 game 7 winners. Horton carried the bruins all throughout the 2011 playoffs. speculate as you wish about the concussion. but he came off concussion last year and led team in shooting % with 18.9%. Also scored more goals/game than seguin.

seguin not as important as rask/lucic/horton in my opinion.