SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Scott Spreitzer: Lightning, Thrashers Under 6½

Lightning, Thrashers Under 6½
    Game Time: 10/5/2006 7:00:00 PM
    By: Scott Spreitzer
    http://www.phoenixsports.com

With improved defenses on both lines, look for tonight's Lightning, Thrashers game in Atlanta to go under.

Last season, linemakers were scrambling to catch up to the new NHL rules that helped the league resemble European play. But many teams learned they still need outstanding defensive play if they're going to be able to take chances on the offensive end.

These two teams have both tried to strengthen their defense since last they took the ice. The Thrashers missed the playoffs by just one point. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay was not even a shell of the squad that won the Stanley Cup in 2004. TB shored up their patchwork goaltending by trading for Marc Denis. They also shipped off Kubina and Sydor, and added Filip Kuba, Luke Richardson, Andy Delmore and Doug Janik. Dan Boyle will still lead the charge, and the backline looks much stronger in 2006.

Atlanta no longer includes Marc Savard and Petr Bondra on the roster, clearing the way for a defensive upgrade of their own. The Thrashers were 24th in the league in GAA. Steve Rucchin will be a great asset this season, when it comes to shutting down their opponents' top offensive star.

Finally, Atlanta begins the season healthy between the pipes with the very capable Kari Lehtonen minding the net. Just like all three of last night's games, the totals have been set a tad too high. All three went under last night, and this battle will stay under the total, also.

Play: Lightning-Thrashers Under 6½

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think were going to see an offensive explosions in this game myself. Although I do like the Lightning to win this game tonight better than the total.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

its either lightning or no play here imo

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28270

watch out for lecavalier, he had 10pts in 5games in preseason