a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Sabres/Dallas Trade

Sabres trade Derek Roy for Steve Ott and Pardy.

Any Dallas followers that can give thoughts to this?

Derek Roy has always been a decent scoring centerman for the Sabres, but he is part of the "core" that the organization is trying to get rid of. His effort is sometimes questioned and he is not a playoff producer. He also made some remarks about the coach at the end of the year, pretty much sealing his fate.

He can and most likely will be around a point/game player, but not when the playoffs roll. He is also a very soft player and I'm looking forward to adding grit to the lineup in Ott but don't know much about him.

Sabres now have 9 NHL ready defenseman and another great AHL defenseman ready to step in - something doesn't add up, they must be stock piling for another trade (hopefully Nash/Ryan).

Thoughts?

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Wondered if you were happy with this trade

Via hockeyyinsiderr on twitter they are more determined now to trade for Ryan

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Wondered if you were happy with this trade

Via hockeyyinsiderr on twitter they are more determined now to trade for Ryan
    yea that guy is on a roll, he's very interesting to follow. Sabres needed grit and hits, and they got it. Roy's production won't be missed as much as some will think. Hopefully they keep making moves.

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Ott is very solid, I consider him a better player straight up with Derek Roy. He plays hard, he plays in your face, right on the edge but is very effective in all 3 zones. He can actually be an average match up centerman if that's how Buffalo wants to use him (replace what they lost with Gaustad). He's also one of the very best face off men in the league as gravy on top.

He's also a coach's dream in that he can be used on any line from the top line to the fourth line for 16-19 minutes/night against the other team's 2ndary offensive players. Effective on both special teams as well, there really is nothing to not like about Ott as a player. He doesn't put up huge offensive numbers so a lot of people actually consider him a useless grinder, even going as far as to consider him a fourth line goon.

There's a good reason that he was traded almost straight up for a near PPG 2ndary scorer. Like I said, I prefer Ott to Roy straight up.

On a side note, I don't like what Dallas has done this offseason at all, they will be a profitably fade for the first half of next year for sure.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

I would add Calgary to early fade list based on moves they have made.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Good trade for both teams IMO

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Agree on the fade front. Calgary is making suspect moves and Kippy is sliding big time.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Calgary is having to overpay bad just to attract free agents. Feaster is trying to keep this team afloat but once Kipper and Iggy retire this team is completely fcuked for many years to come.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

I was ecstatic when I heard BUF got Ott....So glad to get rid of Roy....He was just wayyyy to soft.....Darcy said in his presser he has outstanding offers out there right now for FA's....

CBJ beat writer is reporting BUF not on Nash's trade list....I would hope we are in on the Ryan sweepstakes but they want a 2c and Darcy has stated Ennis and Hodgson aren't going anywhere...

So not sure where this is all going but it sure will be fun to watch it pan out

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerHere View Post
    I was ecstatic when I heard BUF got Ott....So glad to get rid of Roy....He was just wayyyy to soft.....Darcy said in his presser he has outstanding offers out there right now for FA's....

CBJ beat writer is reporting BUF not on Nash's trade list....I would hope we are in on the Ryan sweepstakes but they want a 2c and Darcy has stated Ennis and Hodgson aren't going anywhere...

So not sure where this is all going but it sure will be fun to watch it pan out
    Yea buy I won't be surprised if the roster is set

aznbluff
    Update your status

Ya I doubt you guys would go out and get another forward. Ennis seems more suited as an NHL winger than center though we'll see how he fares next season in that role. Luckily for the Sabres, their division has nothing but undersized top 6 centers so he might be able to survive in that role.

Down the road I expect their plan is to move Ennis to wing and eventually integrate their two big 1st rounders from this years draft, whom made Roy redundant.

aznbluff
    Update your status

Man, hate the Jagr signing by Dallas again!

This team is going to be bad, bad, bad. I actually thought they improved last offseason when they lost Brad Richards but now they are adding all these one dimensional floater type offensive old farts, while not improving (arguably got worse) on the back end. This is a team that could easily be bottom 5 in the West next year and could potentially get a lottery pick.