bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

DiPietro 15 yr deal

According to Reports, the Islanders have signed Rick DiPietro to a 15 year, $67.5 million dollar deal that will pay him $4.5 million in each year. This is the second longest contract in professional sports history behind Magic Johnson's 25 year contract with the Lakers...

If you look at it, $4.5 million per year isn't obscene at all. He's 25 years old now so hopefully he'll still be good at 40. I just hope he continues to be as good as he was in the 2nd half last year.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Unreal. Speechless.

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I'm not sure how the salary cap rules work in the NHL nowadays. Could this be just a way to get around cap restrictions by extending the contract length?

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

hmmmm no wonder Islanders suck so bad with moves like this. DiPietro has barely established himself as a big league goalie after years of hype after being drafted.

tomcast
    tomcast's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 251

craziness

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu
    I'm not sure how the salary cap rules work in the NHL nowadays. Could this be just a way to get around cap restrictions by extending the contract length?
    I'm not exactly sure how the contract breakdown is structured at all on this one, in regards to the cap. I'm not sure if it's top heavy or back heavy on the deal.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have never seen a longer deal in my life. What are they thinking?

psycho44
    psycho44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

in 10 years with inflations and player's greediness, every player will be making 4.5 mil.

But than again they are paying 4.5 mil for the next 5 years for a 35 to 40 year old goalie who's reflexes are slowing down.

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Didn't the Lakers once do something similar with Magic Johnson? I think it was a 20 yr contract. I might be wrong but I seem to remember something like that.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu
    Didn't the Lakers once do something similar with Magic Johnson? I think it was a 20 yr contract. I might be wrong but I seem to remember something like that.
    yes, that is correct hulu. I did make mention of that in my post above:

This is the second longest contract in professional sports history behind Magic Johnson's 25 year contract with the Lakers...