zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Be honest does anyone enjoy watching the Coyotes???

It will be a disaster if they make it to the finals. Every game i watch from them i fall asleep. So boring stack 5 guys infront of net. Sad thing is so many teams are adopting this type of play. It will bury the nhl.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

It's boring, but it works for their team, gotta give them credit. They don't have many players who are offensive powerhouses so they gotta do what works. There aren't a whole lot of "defense first" teams. The ones I can think of are:

Devils
    Preds
    Yotes
    Wild
    Panthers
    Canes
    Blues

But the only team on that list with pure scorers is the devils with parise and kovalchuk

icecapper
    icecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 394

It's hilarious the league owns the team. Bettman should be considered as the GM for 29 other teams, did a pretty good job building this one.

zoo youk

I thought Gretzky had something to do with owning they yotes? Or thats long gone?

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

noone is forcing you to watch their games

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is less exciting. Predators cannot really score.

The overs were hitting like crazy. Every game going into OT in the first series.

This is garbage. Same with an 0-1 pitching duel, or a 0-1 soccer match.... boring.

With that said, I love defensive football games. That regular season game between LSU and Bama was phenomenal.

icecapper
    icecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 394

Gretz gave up his stake in 2009, the team basically went bankrupt and the league owns them. This is quite a story with them a win away from advancing to the conference final, team salary barely above the league floor and most likely moving to Quebec next season.

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    This is less exciting. Predators cannot really score.

The overs were hitting like crazy. Every game going into OT in the first series.

I love defensive footbal too. I also enjoy pitching duels. Defensive hockey its just a drag to me lol

This is garbage. Same with an 0-1 pitching duel, or a 0-1 soccer match.... boring.

With that said, I love defensive football games. That regular season game between LSU and Bama was phenomenal.
    I love defensive football and pitching duels but defensive hockey blows. Atleast this stack the net shit so no shots get thru is. I can watch the devils without a problem

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Yeah because they would rather 'entertain' the world than win a Stanley Cup =/

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Hockey is hockey. I love watching at any level.

Glad to see whore shit team doing well.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Only true hockey fans will appreciate a game like that. It isn't always about scoring.

Would rather see this than an 8-4 blowout in the Pit/Phi series

leeloo
    leeloo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes.
    Would also rather see a 1-0 game than a 8-4 blowout.
    Last edited by leeloo; 05-05-12 at 05:34 AM.

Gamble32jn
    Keep Faith!!!!!!!!
    Gamble32jn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gotta say the Yotes r the most boring team to watch I agree. I would rather watch Philly get the shit beat out of them....now that's fun to watch

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Defensive play is everywhere. Football, basketball, soccer, you name it. Why wouldn't it belong in hockey?

The reality is that Phoenix is a smaller market, and doesn't get the media coverage of the big markets. Why do you think it is that the Suns, Cardinals (didn't 'belong' in Superbowl), and now the Coyotes are never taken very seriously? I can assure you that if the Knicks had played like the -incredibly spectacular- Suns did a few years ago, the size of that market would have made the team a national obsession. Sheeple, in other words.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

That is one deathly series...Gillis said it best that the NHL keeps reverting back to the trap/defensive systems despite offense being the majority of the excitement in hockey. Compare the NYR/WSH series to PHX/NSV-case closed. And I played defence for twenty years...Cheers

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmitty View Post
    That is one deathly series...Gillis said it best that the NHL keeps reverting back to the trap/defensive systems despite offense being the majority of the excitement in hockey. Compare the NYR/WSH series to PHX/NSV-case closed. And I played defence for twenty years...Cheers

Wash NY is a great example. both teams play great defense and its a great series to watch cause its not that trap/stack the net bullshit.

zoo youk

although the Rangers do rely on blocking tons of shots.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

To add to my earlier point. When the Phoenix Suns play spectacular offense, they don't know how to defend. When the Coyotes, who are dramatically outscoring Nashville by the way, play tight defense, they're painfully boring. When the NFL Cardinals reach the Superbowl, they're the worst team to ever play in that game, but when the NY Giants reach it after a similar regular season, they're peaking at the right time. lol

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    To add to my earlier point. When the Phoenix Suns play spectacular offense, they don't know how to defend. When the Coyotes, who are dramatically outscoring Nashville by the way, play tight defense, they're painfully boring. When the NFL Cardinals reach the Superbowl, they're the worst team to ever play in that game, but when the NY Giants reach it after a similar regular season, they're peaking at the right time. lol
    it has nothing to do about which market the team is in. I dont know whatt you are talking about but the Cardinals were an exciting team when they went to the Super Bowl. I am talking about the brand of hockey they are playing. not the market they are in.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I'm talking in general. If any of the teams I mentioned had played in New York, they would have been portrayed and seen in a very different light. That's a simple fact. People, including the media, are always rooting for the home team, so if the home team plays in a big market with national reach, guess what. Jeremy Lin is good example. He won a few games with the Knicks, which means almost nothing, but it seemed the biggest story in the world for a while. If you didn't know any better, a miracle was happening. The media may or may not affect your personal opinion, but it definitely shapes public opinion. Aside from that, the complaint against defensive play is often heard and just doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a success perspective. As you know, offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. Whatever Phoenix is doing is working. Their defense limits the number of quality shots. Obviously, that's an art, because if it were easy everybody would be doing it.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-06-12 at 01:01 AM.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Good hockey is good hockey

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

still can't score 1 goal on the glendale coyotes

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

great game

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

If coyotes play the devils in the finals the league will fold.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    If coyotes play the devils in the finals the league will fold.
    Going to be LA and NY

face

devils have 3 stanley cups

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Phoenix nothing special, but the Trahsville Crapetors suck. Books knew it all, setting them as -150 faves to advance. Every sharp bum was on Trashville.

boeing power

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Going to be LA and NY
    I think you're right deuce.
    Would be a great series too, quick vs lundqvist

boeing power

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    devils have 3 stanley cups
    I know,
    they are a good team and GM Lou is a great hockey guy but nobody in north America outside Glendale and new jersey and hfboards would watch the series.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Only draw is Queens NYR or Fly

Queens and NYR would be a huge winner for ratings.

bigsmitty

I think some people are missing the point. Like I say, I played defense all my life so to say the NSV/PHX brand of hockey is numbing kind of sounds like Nixon visiting China. However, you can be defensive minded and still play an exciting brand of hockey which is what, for example, the NYR/WSH series is doing. You are never going to sell or expand the league with the brand of hockey PHX/NSV are playing, so from a business perspective you have to change something. Cheers

face

don't like the coyotes style personally, but i have to admit they have a pretty good system going. i'm taking them +150 to beat the kings, i think it's a coin flip series, maybe should be -130/+120 but not -170/+150

bigsmitty

Face, come on-LAK is going to eat PHX alive. I agree the prices are off but this series might be done in four. Cheers