a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Player breaks or loses stick...

And the play is in their zone, and they never go to the bench to get a new one. Seriously, if it's 5 on 5 do you not trust your team to stop a 5 on 4 for 3 seconds while you skate to the bench!? You're basically useless without it. I never see any players do it but I can't fathom why coaches would not teach them to just get their ass to the bench. All they can do is block a shot at best.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Its a good point actually.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

True, most guys wont even realize you dont have a stick for a couple of seconds you could easily skate off and pick up a new one or change

Dumbest play in hockey just skating around with no stick. If you really cant change just lay down in front of the net.

hydrosmak
    Update your status
    hydrosmak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

Have thought the same thing myself actually.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

WHY AREN'T WE COACHING?!?!? Hahah, still, if you think about it. Some of the best teams in hockey kill 85-90% of PKs, and when a player doens't have a stick in the zone, it's almost a PP anyway, plus, as shown in the Flyers game yesterday - player stayed on ice without stick, and it lead to a PP which lead to a goal; which is why I posted this.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below
    PuckIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Why don't we just cast one out from the bench?

icecapper
    icecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 394

It's hard to believe, but getting in the shooting/passing lane is much more valuable then vacating the zone and leaving an open man or lane.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by icecapper View Post
    It's hard to believe, but getting in the shooting/passing lane is much more valuable then vacating the zone and leaving an open man or lane.
    The guy without the stick is played like a fool and he rarely makes a blocked shot

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

job in defensive zone is to pick up the man. have to stick with your man. cant leave open guy in the slot. better to play for few seconds without stick than give them high quality chance wide open shot in slot

icecapper

Watch the Rangers in their own end. It is not your job to pick up an open man but rather to keep the opposing team on the perimeter and get in the shooting lane. 4.5 players are better than 4, probably why the best league in the world adheres to this rule.

neel
    neel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 203

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    The guy without the stick is played like a fool and he rarely makes a blocked shot
    Was debating this with a buddy a week ago. I think you could make the case for going to the bench if it's a period in which it's closest to your own zone. I've seen stick-less players make some great plays over the years though, either by blocking shots or smart contact along the boards. I've also seen plenty of holding penalties and silly diving block attempts that essentially make it a 5 on 3 anyway.

Miser
    Miser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Nope I play hockey and you can't leave your zone to get a stick. If the goalie loses his stick a defense or forward gives theirs up. If a defensman loses his a forward gives him theirs. That is the chain of command. Even if you don't have a stick you can still block a shot or tie up an attacker.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

What do you mean you can't leave the zone to get a new stick?

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

even without stick you can tie up ur man, hit urman, get in shooting lanes, force players to outside. someone above said it earlier. playing with 4.5 players in D zone is better than playing with only 4.

and in defensive zone you are supposed to play the man not the puck. no stick puts you at disadvantage, but you can still play D without a stick. better to play D without a stick than run to bench and not play any D at all, leaving your guy wide open for a shot in the slot. thats why they dont run to bench when stick breaks in D zone. worldclass coaches everywhere including in the nhl adhere to the rule so its pretty widely accepted.

4.5 men is better than 4.

RabidGoat
    I smoked my xmas tree
    RabidGoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

In all my years of playing junior hockey and what not. I was always coached to never leave your defensive zone for a stick because the way your line plays D changes when there is 4 on the ice as compared to 5. If you try to sneak off and get a stick it leaves some part of your zone unbalanced and all it takes is a quick reversal of the puck from one side of the ice to the other in your defensive zone and then your hosed. So there is a reason why players won't get a stick until their shift ends or until the puck changes ends of the ice. This is I guess how I'd justify not leaving to get a stick. A good check of one of the opposing teams forwards is just as valuable as having a stick. Plus you can make legal hand passes with no stick =D

Quote Originally Posted by Miser View Post
    Nope I play hockey and you can't leave your zone to get a stick. If the goalie loses his stick a defense or forward gives theirs up. If a defensman loses his a forward gives him theirs. That is the chain of command. Even if you don't have a stick you can still block a shot or tie up an attacker.
    that's what I was always taught too!

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by hockey216 View Post

4.5 men is better than 4.
    But if you race to the bench for a new stick its only 4-5 for maybe 10 seconds when the 4.5 on 5 can last much longer.

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

when short handed ( 5 on 4 )
    the team has specific penalty killers.

if your number 1 line is on when a player breaks his sticj, you are now asking your top players to act as penalty killers in short handed situation ( while the fifth skater leave shis position to go get a stick at the batch )

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Having a guy without a stick and going to the bench isn't the same as a 4 on 5 PK...most guys on PK Units are there because they are good defensively..big difference between Kane on the ice with no stick and Bolland and Toews out there 4 on 5

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Yeah, what ranger said

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejc View Post
    Having a guy without a stick and going to the bench isn't the same as a 4 on 5 PK...most guys on PK Units are there because they are good defensively..big difference between Kane on the ice with no stick and Bolland and Toews out there 4 on 5
    that is exactly what I was saying in post 17.

You cant just have your number 5 skater go to the bench, because the other 4 are not use to playing a diamond defense that would the expected when the skaters would be 5 vs 4

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Rangers View Post
    that is exactly what I was saying in post 17.

You cant just have your number 5 skater go to the bench, because the other 4 are not use to playing a diamond defense that would the expected when the skaters would be 5 vs 4
    It's 3-4 seconds, at most. Plus, it's not rocket science, its 5on4, in the NHL everyone knows how to play it.

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    It's 3-4 seconds, at most. Plus, it's not rocket science, its 5on4, in the NHL everyone knows how to play it.

Ok, then why do you suppose it hasn't been done?

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Rangers View Post
    Ok, then why do you suppose it hasn't been done?
    I don't know. Same as why don't nfl teams go for it on 4 and short on the 40. KC finally did it every situation one year, made the playoffs and now more teams do it. Obviously it's a different situation.

Ive been discussing this with friends for a few years now and only reason is, is because the player loses his stick, and it leads to a penalty or goal so we get mad. I'd be willing to bet that even if the player who loses his stick, even if his bench is close, still refuses to go to the bench to get a new one if he is the off side forward. They are obviously told to block shots, but if you watch, more often than not they are played like a fool that is just taking up space and an opponent is rarely dumb enough to take a shot with them in the way.

Would be cool to see this situation happen tonight so we can judge it better.

icecapper

Fans that think you should vacate the zone to get another stick probably scream "shoot" on the power play.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by icecapper View Post
    Fans that think you should vacate the zone to get another stick probably scream "shoot" on the power play.
    Clowns that offer no insight to a thread are just broke dikks. What's your point here? You have none. Are you telling me your team can not kill a 5on4 for 3 seconds!? What about 10 seconds? They do it allllllll the time.