DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

4 Perennial Western Powerhouses All Gone in 1st Round

Wow did not see this coming. VAN/SJ/DET/CHI all gonna be knocked out in round one. These 4 have dominated the West for the last 4-5 years.

All the trap teams fcuking them up. STL/LA and PHO/NAS semis unreal West is absolutely wide open this year. Nashville is the "veteran" playoff team of the group
    Last edited by DennisGreen; 04-23-12 at 10:12 PM.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7601

Canucks have not been a powerhouse. The nucks were not even a playoff team 4 years ago.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Canucks have not been a powerhouse. The nucks were not even a playoff team 4 years ago.
    Back to back President's trophies and 3 straight 2nd round or later playoff visits the last 3 years = powerhouse.

All the trap teams won round 1. Gonna be some boring ass 2nd round games.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

And my powerhouses definition is top 4 during regular season regularly which they've done the last 3-5 years and their hasn't been a conference final in the last 3-4 years not involving two of these teams.

Defensive hockey and grit seems to be the kryptonite of the skilled, softer teams this year. VAN/SJ/DET/CHI are all pretty soft teams.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7601

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Back to back President's trophies and 3 straight 2nd round or later playoff visits the last 3 years = powerhouse.

All the trap teams won round 1. Gonna be some boring ass 2nd round games.

DG brother you sound so bitter. The canucks are not an exciting team brother. LA/STL should be a great series- tight checking with great goalies. Some of us like those type of games. Its old school hockey. Winning the presidents trophy means jack shit.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

So far so good. But, who is next? Who advances? Washington or Boston?

Deol
    Deol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5712

VAN may of been considered a powerhouse only last year. You seem to always under-estimate the weakness of there division therefore inflating your view of them. They were not as good as they were last year, and it clearly showed in the first round. There window is slowly closing.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    DG brother you sound so bitter. The canucks are not an exciting team brother. LA/STL should be a great series- tight checking with great goalies. Some of us like those type of games. Its old school hockey. Winning the presidents trophy means jack shit.
    They're exciting when they play CHI/SJ and other offensive teams. I guess I'm just a fan of the high scoring matchups not the gritty 2-1 finals.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    So far so good. But, who is next? Who advances? Washington or Boston?
    Gotta think Bruins win tomorrow. Caps usually collapse when it's all on the line. But the way things are going FLA/WAS/OTT all advance
    Last edited by DennisGreen; 04-24-12 at 10:12 AM.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Deol View Post
    VAN may of been considered a powerhouse only last year. You seem to always under-estimate the weakness of there division therefore inflating your view of them. They were not as good as they were last year, and it clearly showed in the first round. There window is slowly closing.
    Yeah somewhat but they rolled through some good teams last year. The majority of their core (Sedins, Schneider, Kesler, Burrows, Edler) are still late 20's- early 30's so I'd say they still have a good 5 years. They need to find a way to trade Luongo then they can fix their weaknesses : lack of physical, gritty players etc.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22632

Bettman sleeps easy.

Deol
    Deol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5712

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Yeah somewhat but they rolled through some good teams last year. The majority of their core (Sedins, Schneider, Kesler, Burrows, Edler) are still late 20's- early 30's so I'd say they still have a good 5 years. They need to find a way to trade Luongo then they can fix their weaknesses : lack of physical, gritty players etc.
    5 seems a bit optimistic but I can see that. They need a Malone or Clowe type player, I hope they dont think Kassian can become this but personally I don't think he has the offensive talent but it is too premature to say that definitively. I think they won't end up trading Luongo in the offseason, I don't think they'll get what they think hes worth. Regardless I think it will only get harder for VAN because there division will definitely improve, Oilers and Avs should be perennial playoff teams in the near future. Hopefully next year for EDM, but thats a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

5 seems a bit optimistic but I can see that. They need a Malone or Clowe type player, I hope they dont think Kassian can become this but personally I don't think he has the offensive talent but it is too premature to say that definitively. I think they won't end up trading Luongo in the offseason, I don't think they'll get what they think hes worth. Regardless I think it will only get harder for VAN because there division will definitely improve, Oilers and Avs should be perennial playoff teams in the near future. Hopefully next year for EDM, but thats a bit of wishful thinking on my part.
    With his contract he is barely worth a bag of pucks. 10 years left at 5.3 per? What the F were they thinking? Did they expect the cap/salaries to shoot up or something?

somethingelse
    somethingelse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Dennis it was sad to see my Blackhawks go bye-bye tonight the way they did. Of course when your powerplay is 0-ALL and you can't win a home game IN THE PLAYOFFS (and several other things) I guess I shouldn't have expected much better. Sure, the Hawks are only two years displaced from a Stanley Cup so maybe I shouldn't be so greedy. Not sure who I want to see go all the way but hopefully I'll make some money along the way.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Kassian could be a good power forward down the road but right now he's just too raw of a talent and too inexperienced. Honestly I would be happy moving Luongo for virtually nothing just to get rid of the contract so we can sign some free agents. Schneider has proved he is better now and he can handle the pressure of being a #1. Clowe would be a perfect fit for sure.

And yeah I expect the Oilers to challenge the Nucks in the next 2-3 years with all that talent they are accumulating. They are gonna be scary sick in a couple years. Avs as well are developing their young talent well.
    Last edited by DennisGreen; 04-24-12 at 10:31 AM.