Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Pure gamble: Sharks over Blues

I know the Sharks can't be trusted, but for whatever reason I'm not sold on the Blues, especially their offense. Of course they've been much better in the regular season, but something tells me the Sharks will knock them out.

What ya'll thinking?

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

you know they're 0-4 against the blues though, blues have some problems but so do sharks. seems like wishfull thinking, gl

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

just an article i copied and pasted:
    Hitchcock has won a Stanley Cup and knows how to guide a team through the treacherous storms of April, May and June.
    The Blues are physically whole for the first time in at least two years. The injuries have healed, giving this team fresh bodies, quality depth and maximum capability.The Blues' exceptional team defense and air-tight goaltending from Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott produced one of the stingiest performances in NHL history. That isn't an opinion; it's a fact. The Blues allowed 1.89 goals per game this season, the lowest goals-against average by an NHL team since the Original Six expanded in 1967-68.The special teams improved significantly under Hitchcock; the Blues ranked third in penalty-kill rate (89 percent) and ninth in power-play success (18.3 percent) since Nov. 8.The Blues set a franchise record for home winning percentage (.793) and no NHL team lost fewer games (6) at home this season. And the Blues, at minimum, have home-ice advantage for the first two rounds.Obviously, there are concerns.The Blues are young, and this will be their first postseason journey together. And they will be challenged to generate enough offense to take advantage of their strong goaltending and defense. David Backes led the Blues with 24 goals this season, which tied him for 60th in the NHL. That reflects well on the Blues' balance and total-team ethic, but they ranked only 21st in goals per game (2.51) this season.The Blues will also have to live with the pressure of increased expectations. After rebuilding and scuffling through so many down seasons, the Blues have raised hope. Another early postseason elimination would be emotionally devastating.Citing his team's 0-4 record against the Blues this season, San Jose coach Todd McLellan is already playing the underdog card."Well, we are that, whether we want it or not, we are that," said McLellan, speaking to reporters in San Jose late Saturday night. "There's no doubt about it, we didn't have any success against them during the regular season and they were a number of points ahead of us. They've had our number. They're a very good team. And we'll be going in as the underdog and we're going to have to relish that role. We're going to have to go get 'em."This is humorous. McLellan's basic premise can't be disputed; in theory a No. 2 seed (Blues) should defeat a No. 7 seed (Sharks.) But this isn't exactly the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team, OK?San Jose has had 100 or more points in five of the last six seasons. Since 2004, only Detroit (61) has more postseason victories than San Jose (47.) The Sharks have won plenty of playoff games, but none in June.San Jose has been unable to clear the Western Conference finals, and that puts a ton of pressure on a veteran nucleus that includes Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dan Boyle, Ryan Clowe, Joe Pavelski and Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The window could be closing; how many more chances will this group have?

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...#ixzz1rYarFkG4

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13998

nhl playoffs are all about GREAT not just good goaltending /what the hell my maple leafs are long gone i am all in on sharks /plus ottawa

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Thanks face, that's some good read. I think my decision to eventually taking the Sharks will come down what the series price is going to be.

EDIT: Pinnacle came out with the lines! Blues -155, Sharks +140.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Sharks not worth it at +140 IMO, Blues might be a play for me at -155. Decent chance they take this easy and if it goes long that home ice advantage will be huge.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

As much as I want to take the veteran Sharks over the unproven Blues I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it. San Jose's goaltending is just too sketchy and the Blues is top notch.