Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Owen Nolan to attempt comeback with Coyotes

He hasn't played in years. I think this is a bad idea.

Five-time All-Star Owen Nolan signed a one-year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday.

Nolan last played in the NHL for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2003-04. He had knee surgery in 2005. He ruled out a return last season because his knee had not healed enough for him to play.

But Phoenix is taking a chance that the right wing can help its hockey club in 2006-07.

"A healthy Owen Nolan can help our hockey club," Coyotes general manager Michael Barnett said. "After considerable due diligence, we've found his injuries to be well healed. He's fit, focused and anxious to get back battling on NHL ice."

Wayne Gretzky, the Coyotes' coach and managing partner, believes Nolan can help his team in 2006-07.

"Owen is one of the league's premier power forwards," Gretzky said. "His size, strength, goal-scoring ability and leadership will be a big asset to our team."

Nolan's knee injury led to three grievances with the Maple Leafs: One in December 2004 over an alleged improper suspension, one in January 2005 over the Leafs' refusal to pay the $5.6 million salary for that season, and a third in September 2005 when the club did not honor the option clause in his 2005-06 contract.

He has 349 goals and 386 assists in 915 regular-season games in 14 season with Quebec-Colorado, San Jose and Toronto. In 65 games in 2003-04, he had 19 goals and 29 assists for the Maple Leafs.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yep he was so-so the last few years he played and now the game is faster and i'm sure he isnt. Hope they didnt pay much i think he might retire during training camp

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

as long as some team is willing to pay him why not make a comeback.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

oh yes I would take the money also............just don't think its a great move by gretz and think it could end up like the Brett Hull fiasco last year

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree with you there on that one scotty.

the thing about Nolan is he loves those garbage goals, and with those new rules in place nowadays i'm not sure if he will be a force like he once was.