juniorstips69
    juniorstips69's Avatar Become A Pro!

picking to go 1st in a shootout

it's like picking to be the road team in baseball
    you miss in the top of the 1st round in the shoot out and your pretty much screwed if the other teams gets a goal in the bottom of the frame like with Vancouver tonight

LizReed44
    LizReed44's Avatar Become A Pro!

But you put immediate pressure on the visitor if you score.

juniorstips69

true but here's an article i just found on the subject

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=605619

"Road-ice advantage -- Home teams win more than half of all games decided in regulation, but the shootout is another matter. Through the first 1,000 shootouts, home teams won 474, while visiting clubs won 526 (road teams are 5-4 in the nine shootouts since then).

Home teams haven't posted a winning record since 2005-06, the first season of the shootout -- and the only season in which the NHL mandated that road teams had to shoot first. The rule was changed for 2006-07 to give home teams the choice of when to shoot; most home teams opted to go first -- and visiting teams have had a winning record ever since. That includes this season, in which home teams are 21-31, and last season, when they were 58-91, including 49-73 when shooting first."

LizReed44
    LizReed44's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's definitely a very interesting topic junior and it's funny that you would bring it up because I was thinking about it tonight. I would personally like to see a minor rule change: I think the visiting team should get to choose who goes first.

juniorstips69

i would go for that idea