rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

NHL ML fave has won 79%

Did a back check on the ML fave of the day in NHL.

Days with 4 or more teams playing, the fav with odds -166 and higher is
    38-10 79% and has won the last 13 days in a row. Includes two or more
    teams with the same odds.

Using the same team on -PL is at 52%.

High juice yes, but very good for the soul, for those who like to win.

GL guys.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Where did you get that info??

Vancouver was -210 last night and lost.

They also lost as a heavy favorite a few days ago to Columbus.

Betting heavy favorite in the NHL will get you burried.

rkelly110

San Jose -212 was at my book and won.

Chicago was the play last night and won.

I do printouts of NHL from my book, BetUS and went back and checked them.
    Betting the heavy fav could do that, but the winning is more fun. Now 14 in a row.

rkelly110

15 in a row with San Jose again last night. Betting to win $100, you would be up $1500,
    the last 15 days.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Where did you get that info??

Vancouver was -210 last night and lost.

They also lost as a heavy favorite a few days ago to Columbus.

Betting heavy favorite in the NHL will get you burried.
    Of course they don't all win. If the win pct is better than the price you will be positive

815Sox
    815Sox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post

Of course they don't all win. If the win pct is better than the price you will be positive
    That would be pretty awesome if they did always win. That PL percentage is very interesting. Hitting those + odds at 52 percent would be very nice.

On the come
    On the come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6499

How far back does your data sample go?

rkelly110

From the start of this season.

I look at this kind of stuff as an investment. I look at what I'm getting from my bank on my
    savings,.5%? Even if you bet a ML @ 1.02 decimal, you're making 2 cents for every dollar bet.
    You will probably win 99.9% of your bets. That's a hell of a lot better than the .5%.

This is the longest streak so far of 15. It's been streaky. From the beginning of the year:
    W L
    4-1
    5-3
    1-2
    7-1
    4-1
    1-1
    2-1
    15-0

As you can see, chasing would be a good idea.
    The odds haven't gone higher than -226 (1.43)

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Thanks! Good info!

rkelly110

Wow, early Christmas presents? This shit is getting out of hand.

16 in a row with Vancouver last night? Damn!

I see no plays tonight, nothing over -166. Winnipeg is close, but no cigar.

nammertl
    nammertl's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think it just makes sense that the favorite would win the majority of the time. And it's apparently more true of hockey just because there are so many games in a season.

What is the record for teams that have odds below -166.

nammertl

Wow, you saved yourself a little bit tonight.

rkelly110

The trick is to find one game. There would be too many games below -166.
    One loss would set you back two wins, that's the bad thing about this.

If you wanted to also bet on the -PL, I sometimes do this if after capping
    the game and looks good, I'll bet to win 2 units on the ML and bet one unit
    on the -PL. If the -PL loses, you're up one unit. If they both lose, that hurts.

Cicima6709
    Cicima6709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

Blindly betting a system like this is a great way to lose your entire bankroll very, very fast. You may hit some great streaks, like you are now. But over the course of a season, or maybe multiple seasons, you will be broke.

The only way that a system can work is if it takes into account the price of the game. You are saying you dont care what the odds are, you play them. I wish you luck, but i am telling you, blindly picking teams like this is a sure way to go broke long term. How do you know the true value of the -220s you are getting isnt really -195? That would be a system, something that tells you a line and then you compare it to the real line. You'v hit a nice stretch, but i promise you, if you just blindly pick teams that have really high juice...you will lose all your money after a long period of time.

rkelly110

Thanks for your input Cicima. I understand what you're saying. The trick is to jump
    on trends and exploit them. As you know, what goes up must come down. With a
    run like this, I'm expecting a big drop.

Tonight's play is San Jose. GL

Cicima6709
    Cicima6709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

While I would agree with you about jumping on trends, this isn't really a hot or cold type trend. It's not like you are betting on a team that is riding a winning streak or can't score a goal to save their life. You are blindly betting on whichever team the books choose for you, whether it's good or horrible value.

I'm glad to see you made money on this so far, but be very careful. -200s hit at -200 or so over a very large number of plays. If you are currently hitting at 95% or w.e...that's going to balance out at some point. Just be careful, that's all.

PStrangers
    PStrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 629

I'll only say this once.

Systems that do not factor in the odds of a game, will never be profitable in the long run.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't bet the favorite. There are many many times where their is plenty of expected value betting a favorite, even a heavy favorite. But, certainly teams always get over-bet. The Canucks are a great example of this. Lines man need to make the line very low, otherwise they would get way to much one-sided action.

In my opinion, the best way is to try to predict the odds of a side winning, and turning that into a money line, and then bet accordingly. For instance tonight I have that the Blackhawks have at 69.2% of winning (according to my model), which should be a line of -225, but they are currently at -175, showing value for betting them. But the Sharks only have a 63% chance of winning making the line -170, but the line is -190, meaning there is no value. Now my model is far far FAR from perfect, if it was, I wouldn't be on this forum, I'd be sitting on yacht with all the money I won from the bookies.

Because my model is not perfect, I've found 'confirming' line movement to be a good indicator. For instance, last night I calculated the Blues have a 64.6% chance of winning, making the line -182. When I saw it open at -115 and quickly drop to -135 I knew that in fact my model prediction was correct, and I bet it. But for instance for the Blackhawks, making the line at -225, but the line opened at -185 and dropped to -175. Someone out there likes Canadians, perhaps they have a better model, perhaps they have a better 'situational statics' which makes them know the Blackhawks will have trouble tonight, or perhaps they have 'insider' information (injury, etc.) that makes them like Canadians.

Regardless of what 'system' ends up working for each individual, it must incorporate the actually odds that are getting laid. My good friend and I have very different systems, in fact it is not uncommon for us to be on the opposite sides of a game, despite lengthy discussions over odds, models, etc. But year after year we both make money. So I'm not trying to talk you off betting favorites, there are often times there is good expected value on them. I'm simply trying to convince you to take your handicapping to the next level, and you'll really start killing the book!

nammertl

5-0 in the first for San Jose, looks like you're right again and I'm gonna cash.

I have to wonder about the chances of parlaying all the -166 odds on any given night.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

so for the past 16-17 days the highest juice play has one correct?

cool stuff

rkelly110

Hi guys, another winner! Cool! 17-0 last qualifying days.

I know everything you guys are saying and thank you for the well wishes.

I cap every game and assign a number to each team. I don't blindly bet on the odds.

My capping consists of: W/L record, Home/Away record, (from yahoo sched.) the rest I get
    from SBR game match ups. I look at money won, fave and dog w/l record which team has
    the most arrows, look at trends if one team has a better home or away when playing each
    other, look at head to head match ups. I assign stars to the better stats, add them up.
    The team with the most stars is the one I think will win.

Last night, my picks went 4-1. The one game was tied when I capped. San Jose was an 8-0
    star pick.

I use what I wrote above, in every sport. You can learn a lot from the SBR match ups.

Yes nammertl, I've bet 2 team parlays with the 2 best faves. That's a plus money prop,
    that would be excellent for a labby.

Let's break it down for SJ/ Tampa.

Tampa 14-18 (w/l) 6-13 (away record) 8-11 (dog) 4-6 (when playing SJ, H to H) 2.6 (avg) 0 stars.

SJ 17-13* 10-7* 15-11* (fave) arrows* 4-1* (at home against Tampa) 6-4* 3.3* (avg) +.7* (subtract from 2.6) 8 stars.

The most star plays work best on faves, you will get better stars on dogs too. Some win some don't.

I print out the entire days plays and save them for future reference. You can learn a lot from going back and see what works or not.

Picking your own games instead of paying someone or blindly following, is good for your confidence and your betting bank.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Points Awarded:

nammertl gave rkelly110 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by PStrangers View Post
    I'll only say this once. Systems that do not factor in the odds of a game, will never be profitable in the long run. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't bet the favorite. There are many many times where their is plenty of expected value betting a favorite, even a heavy favorite. But, certainly teams always get over-bet. The Canucks are a great example of this. Lines man need to make the line very low, otherwise they would get way to much one-sided action. In my opinion, the best way is to try to predict the odds of a side winning, and turning that into a money line, and then bet accordingly. For instance tonight I have that the Blackhawks have at 69.2% of winning (according to my model), which should be a line of -225, but they are currently at -175, showing value for betting them. But the Sharks only have a 63% chance of winning making the line -170, but the line is -190, meaning there is no value. Now my model is far far FAR from perfect, if it was, I wouldn't be on this forum, I'd be sitting on yacht with all the money I won from the bookies. Because my model is not perfect, I've found 'confirming' line movement to be a good indicator. For instance, last night I calculated the Blues have a 64.6% chance of winning, making the line -182. When I saw it open at -115 and quickly drop to -135 I knew that in fact my model prediction was correct, and I bet it. But for instance for the Blackhawks, making the line at -225, but the line opened at -185 and dropped to -175. Someone out there likes Canadians, perhaps they have a better model, perhaps they have a better 'situational statics' which makes them know the Blackhawks will have trouble tonight, or perhaps they have 'insider' information (injury, etc.) that makes them like Canadians. Regardless of what 'system' ends up working for each individual, it must incorporate the actually odds that are getting laid. My good friend and I have very different systems, in fact it is not uncommon for us to be on the opposite sides of a game, despite lengthy discussions over odds, models, etc. But year after year we both make money. So I'm not trying to talk you off betting favorites, there are often times there is good expected value on them. I'm simply trying to convince you to take your handicapping to the next level, and you'll really start killing the book!
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddaman2 View Post
    Wednesday: 1-2 (-2.2 Units) Season: 158-126-13 (+62.08 Units) Nice hit with the Avalanche last night, and a clear miss with the Red Wings. The night turned with the Flyers/Stars getting 3 goals in the first period yet not finding a way over the 5.5 total. That's the difference between a winning and losing day right there. Back at it today... Maple Leafs -135 (2.7 Units to win 2 Units) Islanders/Rangers Over 5.5 +110 (2 Units to win 2.2 Units) Panthers/Senators Over 5.5 +120 (2 Units to win 2.4 Units) Blue Jackets +160 (2 Units to win 3.2 Units) Wild +108 (2 Units to win 2.16 Units) Wild/Oilers Over 5 -110 (2.2 Units to win 2 Units) Canadiens +115 (2 Units to win 2.3 Units) Ducks +157 (2 Units to win 3.14 Units) 8 plays today, 6 of em at plus money... I realize this might not be a very popular card with many of you. I'll answer questions you guys have if you'd like. Best of luck to you all
    Nice insight and interesting take on the line movement, but just because a line is moving one way don't always assume the other guys have a better model than you. I try to figure out what might be causing the line to move and see if it makes sense. Last night I think Chicago playing back to back was overemphasized, which was not as much of a factor with them having the nest few days off and MTL having a game tonight.

rkelly110

Not sure what today's pick is. 3 games are too close. Switching to decimal odds,
    Nashville is the fave by 1 point, followed by the Rangers and LA which are tied.

Going by my star system the Rangers have the most stars at 7-0, followed by Nashville
    with 6-0 and LA with 2-0.

My play is the Rangers. GL guys.

PS. Minn is a dog play at 7-0 stars.

jnsbanman
    jnsbanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

We calculate things kinda similiar... I too have those 3 plays in that order of strength as well.

rkelly110

Cool.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

This data is just getting lucky, I can tell you that out of the 1220+ games from last year in my spreadsheet that betting these odds is not a good choice, but rather fading is the better choice

nammertl

18-0 now brother. Good thing you didn't go with Minny they're down 2 right now.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by nammertl View Post
    18-0 now brother. Good thing you didn't go with Minny they're down 2 right now.
    The other two(over 160 favs) LA and Nashville both one, trend on that is sick right now. Not saying it is a long term strategy, but hard to ignore a trend like that. Boston and Vancouver(top fav) on tap tomorrow, both in really good spots(home facing teams playing btb) should cruise and I think I am going to parlay them on the PL. Bruins +150 and Vancouver +120 = +450.

rkelly110

Wow, another great night. The odds favored the Rangers closer to game time, but all 3 hit
    on ML.

When I get time, I want to see how we would've done from last year. I know we won't
    have a streak like this.

rkelly110

a4u2fear is right, last year was horrible betting on the fave of -166 and over of 4 or more games.

Only 1 streak of 8 wins and that didn't come until April.

79 wins and 61 losses for 56% all year, a definite bank roll buster.

Goes to show, a system that works one year won't work for the next. Using Morrison's
    systems, worked last year, isn't faring too well this year. Same with SB Professor, last year
    sucked, this year is doing good. (depending on which sport you chose)

This years NHL fave is kicking ass. Will the bottom fall out? Who knows. From the beginning
    of this season, it was off to a good start. Let's see if it continues.

Put a stop loss in, if this goes south. (If you are positive now, quit before going negative.)

Like they say, past performance is not indicative of the future. (or something like that)

rkelly110

Looks like a winner odog. The ML odds are way too high.

I'm going with Vancouver on PL also. Their head to head match ups show, Van has a 2.2 pt
    avg advantage, compared to Boston who only has a 1.1 advantage.

Most star to 0 fave plays are: Vancouver 7-0, Colorado 6-0, San Jose 6-0 and St Louis 3-0.
    For Dec my most star to 0 plays went 34-16 68% Dog star plays went 4-2 67%.

GL
    Last edited by rkelly110; 12-23-11 at 12:47 PM.

Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Rkelly are those plays above (Vancouver, Colorado, Sj and Stl) for tonight?

rkelly110

Yes

Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Thanks and bol tonight.

Bigtoilet
    Bigtoilet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Not sure what today's pick is. 3 games are too close. Switching to decimal odds,
    Nashville is the fave by 1 point, followed by the Rangers and LA which are tied.

Going by my star system the Rangers have the most stars at 7-0, followed by Nashville
    with 6-0 and LA with 2-0.

My play is the Rangers. GL guys.

PS. Minn is a dog play at 7-0 stars.
    Now THIS is WINNING!!!

rkelly110

Finally lost with Vancouver last night. The streak has ended. Good thing I bet on the PL
    which saved a bunch.

The star system hit 3 of 4 which produced a unit+ profit. I'll take that for an early present.

How 'bout it Scully!

Sorry about the parlay odog.

Thanks bigtoilet!

12 Last