Corseting
    It's like getting 2 birds stoned at once
    Corseting's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Picks of the night (Oct.13) (Record 3-0-0)

Yesterday was a great start taking Colorado, Philly and Carolina on the money line. As I commented in my last thread... I'll be updating my picks each day with a running record total in the title as well as the date so its easier to keep track as well as a little trophy beside my postings.

Lets get into it for tonight... Current Record 3-0-0

Gold Pick(Record 1-0-0): Montreal -125 at home

God I wanted to take the Canucks on the + money.... but detroit is terrifying at home. So this pick was handed to the other gold pick I had for tonight. Carey Price is making this look too easy, and I mean way too easy. Look for the Habs to absolutely bury this Flames squad. The Habs want to be a consisent, high scoring team (as their back end is secure) and the Flames want all around consistency and night-in, night-out play. 2 teams with something to prove. Only the Habs have the tools to prove it. Habs win 4-1

Silver Pick(Record 1-0-0): St. Louis -104

God I love these kinds of games. Both the blues and the stars are hovering around -105 (we'll see how the line moves).. which is basically a pick'em from the bookie gods. Both teams are awful on special teams, only netting one powerplay goal a piece in 22 combined chances. I like Halak to duel against Lehtonen any day. This blues team is young and thriving and have exceptional puck possession and vision. Look for this game to be low scoring in the blues favour. 2-1 Blues

Bronze Pick(Record 1-0-0): Coyotes +137 ML

A bit of a hunch on this one. Phoenix is a perfectly healthy team aside from Rosival and Mike Smith has been strong for them since the departure of Bryz. Smashville is looking like another playoff contender this year with 2 wins under their belt already. But the line of injuries include Martin Erat,Mike Fisher, and Patric Hornqvist, 3 guys who are really essential guys to these Preds... especially in a game that goes tight the full 60 minutes. Expect the desert dogs to upset the preds in their home opener with a game that pushes the number. 3-2 Yotes.

EDIT: Wanted to throw in a 4th pick into the ring.. LA to beat New Jersey. The kings literally have no injuries, they are playing well and are a strong playoff team. at -105 you can't not take these guys. Worth a look for sure, I might lay it down on LA to cover -1.5 as well... expecting a Kings win 3-1.

Again as I mentioned yesterday, feel free to ask me about any picks you might have or anything like that. Good luck
    Last edited by Corseting; 10-13-11 at 08:50 AM.

innn
    innn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6470

nice write-up but what's your take also on these two wash @ pitt and tampa @ islanders

Corseting

Washington and Pittsburgh I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. Those are the kind of games I shy away from. I do like the look of both teams this year, Washington has added some serious roster depth and grit players, Pittsburgh is becoming a better team with their 2 big guys out. Goaltending is tipped slightly in favour of the Penguins with Fleury in net, but look for Vokoun to really get the ball rolling this year as a #1 guy in Washington, taking over about 65 games this year. The odds makers have yet to release a line for this game (Probably because its impossible to predict how either of these teams will play... if it was Washington at home they would be around -125).... I like washington in this game though (sorry for rambling). Especially for Ovechkin to come out big tonight... he'll want to rain fire down on his rivals team. Washington 4-2 ( I like the over here too.. as long as it clocks in at 5.5 or less... dont take the 6... 6 is an evil over number)

As for Tampa and the Islanders... this is actually tough... Tampa is not the team people think they are... they're depth at forward is strong but defensively and especially in the crease, they are not a cup team. The islanders have the same problem on the back end with even less to contribute on the front. I really want to say the Islanders can take this at home, but I doubt it. Tampa -128.... Tampa wins 5-2

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

Tampa and the Islanders, i agree the best spot is over 5.5 and also LA to beat New Jersey
    good luck

eldian
    eldian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1062

How long have you've been capping NHL?

Corseting

Quote Originally Posted by eldian View Post
    How long have you've been capping NHL?
    I've been betting on the NHL for the past 4 years or so.. I've gone about 65-70%... Been doing really well to start this season so I figured I would start throwing them on here. The game scores are more for fun... I almost never get those exactly right lol

Also see that your a leafs fan... Unfortunately they are my favourite team so you wont ever see a bet by me on a Leafs game....I like to just enjoy those games hah

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

Hey man nice start here, what are your thoughts on edmonton/minny and colorado/ottawa?

mart59a
    mart59a's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13553

Concerned about injuries for the Habs?

Corseting

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Hey man nice start here, what are your thoughts on edmonton/minny and colorado/ottawa?
    Minny has this game... I dont think edmonton can keep up with them... especially on the road.. most people dont realize a young team like edmonton arent seasoned enough to bounce back strong from travelling heavily. Minny 2-1

Honestly I'm tempted to say Colorado, they've surprised me alot so far this season and Varlamov seems to be trying to prove himself here. But I like Ottawa for this one, they aren't going to drop a game at home this early, especially if Colorado just played last night (Where they were fighting hard for a win in a long game). Ottawa 3-1

Ellivennecq
    I can hear Atlantis full of cheer.
    Ellivennecq's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck tonight.

Corseting

Quote Originally Posted by mart59a View Post
    Concerned about injuries for the Habs?
    K first of all, Fear and Loathing, Amazing movie. One of the greatest ever.

Second, Not really. Not against the Flames anyway. If this were a team with a little more competition then it would be worth taking a look, but the Habs can hold their own through this even if cammaleri is out. Looking to cole and plekanec to do their thing tonight.

Also, Does anyone realize that Montreal has to resign P.K and Price next year?... and they have about 32 million tied up in 5 forwards who barely hit the 20 goal mark (some not at all) and a defenseman who is constantly injured. Next year, fade the habs.

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by Corseting View Post
    Minny has this game... I dont think edmonton can keep up with them... especially on the road.. most people dont realize a young team like edmonton arent seasoned enough to bounce back strong from travelling heavily. Minny 2-1

Honestly I'm tempted to say Colorado, they've surprised me alot so far this season and Varlamov seems to be trying to prove himself here. But I like Ottawa for this one, they aren't going to drop a game at home this early, especially if Colorado just played last night (Where they were fighting hard for a win in a long game). Ottawa 3-1
    its only game two though edmonton won their first game at home to pitt and that was on sunday. So theyve had 4 days to deal with the travel. I agree with your thoughts on the ottawa win though. I just think 16 or so straight losses for edmonton in minnesota has to end sometime

815Sox
    815Sox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I actually like the Isles tonight. Montoya is very hot right now, Ohlund is out (knees scoped), lighting have played 3 in the last 4. Isles also took 3 out of 4 last year. I think TB will be a good team this year, but I just think this is going to be the Isles night. Best of luck to you!

Corseting

its only game two though edmonton won their first game at home to pitt and that was on sunday. So theyve had 4 days to deal with the travel. I agree with your thoughts on the ottawa won though. I just think 16 or so straight losses for edmonton in minnesota has to end sometime

I just dont like edmontons inexperience, of those young guys I feel like RNH is the only player with an NHL mentality. He's a grinder and a strong player emotionally, not cocky or ahead of himself in his career. The rest of their guys will benefit this year from his levelheadedness. But as you pointed out.. they just cant play in minnesota, ever. They will be pumped and excited when they get off the plane today, but they will get hit with some harsh reality when they play a vastly improved Wild team.

goduke

Also I think giguere is starting for colorado tonight not varlamov, which would make ottawa even better pick

JuniorAnalyst
    JuniorAnalyst's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

yea varlamov isnt starting! Ottawa Team Total over 3 is the play

Corseting

Also I think giguere is starting for colorado tonight not varlamov, which would make ottawa even better pick
    Oh wow thats my bad. Well even more so with Ottawa! haha. I didn't take a look at goalie confirmations for that match

Corseting

Rough start to the night! Hopefully St louis pulls through.. looks like phoenix is a lock... of course my only dog would be the one to tear it up tonight haha

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

first of all, welcome to SBR, good mini write ups by the way. Keep getting your good ideas in there and sooner or later all the winnings will come to us. There's always tomorrow so good luck!

p.s. just wanted to opinionate that... habs should have been the pick tonight first game home too... but with cammallari out it should have been a no play. Anyways good hunch on the yotes, i had the same hunch lol but couldn't pull the trigger...

haney
    haney's Avatar Become A Pro!

can't wait to see sat picks