VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Los Angeles Kings Rest-Of-The-Season Thread

I was going to do a write-up on Kings ML over Columbus, but forgot it was an early start game. Up 2 - 0 at the end of the 1st period.

I also forgot to mention Buffalo and Detroit were good bets -1.5, and those both hit.

I know this team better than any other in sports, and have been right in predicting almost every game they've played in this year. I know no one will believe me on that, but it really is uncanny.

I'm just starting this thread so I can start posting Kings picks in it. I'm sure I'll now go on a slump, but if the first 30 or so games are any indication, I've been amazing picking these games.

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15781

If he's gets the right coaching and keeps his head on straight and just calms down a bit, Jon Quick can start for this team on a regular basis (granted untested tonight). Watched him come out of the University of Massachusetts and I think can make more of an impact than Thomas Pock from the Minutemen a few years before him. Great fundamentals.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

He is certainly a much better option than LaBarbera. Quick is, well, quick, and knows the fundamentals and positioning of goaltending well.

It will be a crowded crease when Ersberg returns from his injury. Quick will likely return to Manchester, but I'd much rather see the Kings get rid of LaBarbera all together. Let Jonathan Bernier get the lion's share of the starts down in Manchester and let Quick back up Ersberg for the big club.

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

I agree with that. I watched him play in every game home and away while at UMass and since I've followed the program (early 1990's when it came back after a 14 year hiatus from a D3 program), he is the player with the most potential to come out of the program. Pock might have had more "talent" (read flash) and is to be commended for what he has accomplished in New York, but the reason UMass was one game from the Frozen Four 2 seasons ago was Jon Quick. But I remember in 2006, the Kings, as you've cited, had a bunch of goaltending prospects, and imo, most of them good.

We'll see........go Kings!

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

And for what's it was worth, I bet on Columbus being anemic tonight and Quick doing well

Wager Type: Total
    Wager Status: Win
    Risk / To Win Amount: $120.00 / $100.00 (USD) Accepted 12/23/2008 3:07 PM - EST
    Amount Paid: 220.00

Sport / Period: NHL Hockey / Game
    Line:
    Los Angeles Kings/Columbus Blue Jackets 12/23/2008 7:05 PM - (EST)
    Under 5½ -120

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Congrats! I liked the Kings and the Under as well. I'm annoyed, I really wish I'd made this thread a month ago. I really have been spot on with my Kings predictions all year, I wish I'd been telling them to more than just my family.

The Kings went and signed Ersberg, who may not be a great goalie, but in his short career with the Kings has a winning record and a .916 SV%, so he at the very least deserves a look. Then you have Jonathan Bernier, our 1st round pick in 06 who we are grooming to be our goaltender of the future. Rounded off by Quick and Zatkoff, the Kings really do have a promising young pipeline.

Lombardi is hellbent on developing them in the minors though instead of just throwing them to the wolves. I say give the kids a chance up here. LaBarbera going in and tanking games doesn't do anything for our future.

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

Dave, you and I are on the same page. Look forward to your thread and am sure you have a thumb on these guys. After the Bruins, root hard for LA. Never will forget some of their epic comebacks....Miracle on Manchester and the time LA was losing big to.....I think it was Vancouver and the Kings had a monster comeback after then owner Dr.. Jerry Buss walked out with his date Dyan Cannon

1) Think the AHL can be a waste land and sometimes these guys are better served getting a shot in the NHL. Having said that, think Manchester was a good place for Quick to get his head on straight. But think he has served his penance.

2) I respect anyone who likes, as TV Guide said, "the bodacious ta-tas" of Jennifer Love-Hewitt.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-16-15 at 11:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Miracle on Manchester was against Gretzky's Oilers!

In any case, glad to have made your acquaintance. Lets get 'em in '09

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

Likewise Dave, and I was citing 2 different games above. I'll look it up, I have some crude VCR tape from the 1980's showing a pissed off Buss holding hands with Cannon walking out of the arena after 2 periods and the Kings pulled their usual magic in the 3rd. Good riddance to a hoops owner.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Miser
    Miser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

The Kings will make the playoffs!!!!

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

playoffs? you talking playoffs?

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-16-15 at 11:58 AM. Reason: link does not work

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Phoenix is one of the only teams in the league that I have trouble predicting. For whatever reason, they have the Kings number. Usually when the Kings play a team of this caliber, they can keep shots to a minimum and shut them down with physical defense. But Phoenix always seems to get the bounces.

That said, the Kings are the pick tonight. They got some rest, they are going with Quick again who is coming off of a confidence-boosting shutout, and being back at home helps.

Kings win 3 - 2

Plays:
    Kings ML (-125) (* out of ***)

(I'll use stars for how strong of a lean I have on games.

* = Small, worth playing
    ** = Good, well worth playing
    *** = Great, LOVE it)

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

The Phoenix Curse continued last night, and out in Phoenix with the Kings' worst goaltender in net, there really isn't any reason to believe that the Kings will win. I thought they might split the series with a good effort at home, but they came out flat and Preissing proved he is a healthy scratch on an inexperienced defensive team for a reason.

After being completely shut down by Bryzgalov, a goalie the Kings always have trouble with, they should be able to get on the scoreboard tonight against Tellqvist. But with Labarbera in net as well as Phoenix's knack for stomping the Kings, I see them scoring their share of goals. Don't like the -150, but the break even point at that number is 60%, and I do think Phoenix wins this game 6+ times out of 10.

Coyotes win 4 - 3

Plays:
    Coyotes ML (-150) (* out of ***)
    Kings/Coyotes OVER 5.5 (-105) (** out of ***)

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Haha, knew this would happen, nailing Kings game all season long and then start a thread and lose two straight.

This one was not entirely my fault though. Coach Murray previously stated that he would start Quick for 1 game and Labarbera for the other. All pre-game write-ups I saw said the matchup tonight would be LaBarbera/Tellqvist.

With Quick in net, I still would have chosen the Coyotes tonight, but there would definitely not have been any plays tonight. Phoenix at -150 with a competent goalie in net for the Kings had no value, and with Bryzgalov/Quick as the goaltending matchup, the under was once again more likely than the over. Phoenix would have easily netted at least two on LaBarbera.

JsmooveFTW
    JsmooveFTW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dave, goaliepost.com is often wrong with their probables but they had Quick (heck of a good looking young player that's burned me so far in his career 3 times) as a firm pretty early. They had it nailed almost all day. But I still thought the Coyotes would hold the B2B at home as you did. Luckily I only put a small play on it. Tomorrow is another day and I really like the plays for tomorrow. NHL is a scary place right now though

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

I won't be so lazy from this point on. I just made the assumption that Labarbera was starting, and it is true what they say; When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

I'll be more plugged in from here on out. GL on your plays tomorrow

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Two straight 3 - 0 victories over Columbus, Hitchcock and Murray both preach physical, defensively responsible hockey; I'm sure Columbus will get on the board tonight, but the Kings and the Under are the play again.

Kings win 2 - 1

Plays:
    Kings ML (-116) (* out of ***)

(Don't like the price on the under)

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR

Quote Originally Posted by Microphone View Post
    If he's gets the right coaching and keeps his head on straight and just calms down a bit, Jon Quick can start for this team on a regular basis (granted untested tonight). Watched him come out of the University of Massachusetts and I think can make more of an impact than Thomas Pock from the Minutemen a few years before him. Great fundamentals.
    To follow up my "touting" of him, here is a good article from the LA Times on Quick from yesterday.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1816489.column