The 2006 NHL Hall of Fame class:
    • Patrick Roy
    • Terrance "Dick" Duff
    • Herb Brooks
    • Harley Hotchkiss

Article
    Roy, Brooks among '06 Hockey Hall of Fame class

Associated Press

TORONTO -- "Miracle on Ice" coach Herb Brooks and Patrick Roy, the NHL's winningest goaltender, highlight the newest class of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Former NHL player Dick Duff and executive Harley Hotchkiss also received enough votes from the selection committee, the hall announced Wednesday. All four will be inducted in November.

Brooks led an Olympic team of college players from the United States to the greatest upset in hockey history, the "Miracle on Ice" victory over the mighty Soviet machine in the 1980 semifinals. The Americans went on to win the gold medal, their only one since 1960. Brooks died in a car accident in 2003.

"I just wish my father was still alive to enjoy this moment," son Dan Brooks said. "I know he's looking down and is very proud of this honor. ... He felt the U.S. player could compete at all levels of hockey, especially the NHL."

Brooks led the University of Minnesota to three NCAA titles and also coached the New York Rangers, Minnesota North Stars, New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins.

Roy won four Stanley Cup championships and three Vezina Trophies as the NHL's top goalie in 19 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens and Colorado Avalanche. He retired in 2003 as the league's career leader with 551 regular-season victories.

"It was a great career," the 40-year-old Roy said. "It was fun, every minute of it, and I'm happy to still be involved in hockey today. Hockey is my passion."

Roy was on the Avalanche teams that won the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001.

"We were all privileged to have had the opportunity to see Patrick for so many years in an Avalanche uniform. He was a great leader and ambassador of the game whose passion and determination was second-to-none," said Avs President Pierre Lacroix.

Duff played with Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles, Buffalo and the New York Rangers during an 18-year career that ended in 1972. He won a total of six Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens, was a seven-time All-Star and finished his career with 283 goals and 572 points in 1,030 games.

"I was almost in tears," Duff said. "This means a lot to me, just like playing hockey meant a lot to me."

Hotchkiss was part of the group that moved the Flames to Calgary from Atlanta. He's still a part owner of the team, and is the chairman of the NHL's Board of Governors.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

a well deserved honor for Patrick Roy.

it just seems like yesterday he was still playing in the NHL.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was Roy a first ballet? He only retired 3 years ago.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

dino cicerelli should have been inducted this year too.

he's the only 600+ goal scorer that is not in the HOF.

i know he was caught with a 15 year old kid early in his career, but he still deserves to be in there IMO