bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bertuzzi gets traded to the panthers

this trade seemed to help both teams IMO.

Bertuzzi really needed to get a fresh start with another team to maybe get his career rejuvinated. while the canucks really needed to aquire a goalie like Luongo.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- The Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers kicked off a busy weekend in the NHL with a blockbuster deal.

On the eve of the NHL draft, the Canucks sent maligned power forward Todd Bertuzzi to Florida on Friday and acquired goalie Roberto Luongo in the five-player trade.

Vancouver also got defenseman Lukas Krajicek and a sixth-round pick in the deal that sent young goalie Alex Auld and defenseman Bryan Allen to Florida.

Canucks general manager Dave Nonis showed his sense of humor when he was asked what sealed the deal involving the two star players.

"The sixth-round pick," Nonis said.

That said, the St. Louis Blues should have no trouble trumping that Saturday in the draft. Despite several offers for the first overall pick, Blues GM Larry Pleau said he still plans to use it to take towering Minnesota defenseman Erik Johnson.

"Part of my responsibility to owners, to media, to fans, is to make sure your ears are open, but nothing has really come across the table that makes any sense for us yet," Pleau said after a meeting with all 30 GMs on Friday.

If Johnson is taken with the No. 1 pick, he'll join Brian Lawton (1983), Mike Modano (1988), Bryan Berard (1995) and Rick DiPietro (2000) as the only U.S.-born players to top the draft. Twelve U.S. players are ranked as potential first-round picks -- the record is eight last year -- and Phil Kessel and Peter Mueller could also be among the top six Saturday.

"It's a testament to see how far American hockey has come the past couple of years to be one of the elite hockey nations, Johnson said.

For now, however, it's a pair of 2006 Canadian Olympic teammates in Bertuzzi and Luongo stealing the headlines in Vancouver.

Nonis said it was time for a change for scenery for Bertuzzi, who was suspended for the end of the 2003-04 season and playoffs after his on-ice attack left Colorado's Steve Moore with fractured vertebrae in his neck and a concussion that has so far prevented him from returning to the NHL.

"Todd will be better off in a new city," Nonis said. "Todd never said I'll never play in Vancouver again, but I think he recognized and we had some discussions that if there was a situation that worked for him elsewhere, then maybe it was better for him to move on. He's been really unfairly hammered in this market and I think he'll be better off in Florida."

Bertuzzi also was given a year of probation and sentenced to 80 hours of community service after pleading guilty in a Vancouver court to criminal assault and receiving a conditional discharge. He still faces a civil suit filed by Moore.

"I think coming to our organization is going to be somewhat of a relief for him," Panthers general manager Mike Keenan said in a telephone interview.

The 31-year-old Bertuzzi had 25 goals and 71 points last season, a drop from his best season in 2002-03, when he had 46 goals and 51 assists. Bertuzzi has one year left on his contract for $5.2 million and will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The 27-year-old Luongo could also become a free agent next summer after turning down several offers from the Panthers, most recently because he wants a no-trade clause, something no team can offer under the new CBA until after the upcoming season.

"I think it was a bit of a shock for him," Nonis said. "But he seemed very excited about coming here, and we're going to do our best to get him signed and have him in Vancouver for a long time."

Luongo was 35-30-0 with a 2.97 goals-against average and .914 save percentage last season. He was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy as the league's best goalie two seasons ago when he had a 931 save percentage.

The 23-year-old Krajicek had two goals and 16 points in 67 games last season.

Auld, 25, is a former Panthers' draft pick, taken in the second round in 1999. He was traded to Vancouver in 2001 and was the Canucks' MVP this season after taking over for injured starter Dan Cloutier, finishing 33-26-0 with a .902 save percentage in his first full NHL season.

Cloutier will be ready for next season, and because the Canucks also have Mika Noronen, Auld was expendable. He figures to be Florida's starter next season after the Panthers did not pick up backup Jamie McLennan's contract option.

Allen had seven goals and 17 points in 77 games last season.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's an interesting deal. People forget that, immediately before the Steve Moore incident, a reasonable case could be made that Bertuzzi was the best all-around player in the world. I would have called him that.

It's hard to say (a) what is going on in his head right now and (b) what effect the new rules are having on his game.

Meanwhile Luongo has all the potential in the world and any NHL fan knows how important a top goalie can be.

I don't even know how to handicap who won this one. It obviously depends on how Bertuzzi performs, but it also depends on how Auld develops. If he ends up being a top-flight goalie, then Florida has really given up nothing to get potentially one of the best players in the world.

But if Auld is just going to be another middle-of-the-pack goalie - and Bertuzzi continues to flounder - then that is a big win for Vancouver. They'll be happy to have Luongo at playoff time.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat
    People forget that, immediately before the Steve Moore incident, a reasonable case could be made that Bertuzzi was the best all-around player in the world. I would have called him that.
    Never knew that; I didn't even think he was top 10. Shows you what I know about hockey.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well it's a matter of opinion of course. But in 2002-2003 he was a huge, physical presence while also scoring 46 goals and 97 points (good for 5th in what was then a lower scoring league). He had an effectively grumpy, Messier-like presence out there.

I was definitely not the only one to think of him in heady terms.

Unfortunately we all know where his mean streak ended up going.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Appreciate the reply and info.