AdamStock1983
    AdamStock1983's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

Quality Hockey Handicappers

I know Baseball/Basketball/Football but I know nothing about hockey or hockey betting. I do know that there is value to be had there. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the best hockey handicappers either free or pay. If you could steer me toward the bests ones I would appreciate it.

AdamStock1983

Anyone have any advice?

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

Cappers goes on hot n cold streaks all the time. I follow whoever is hot in the every sport except hockey. I love capping hockey. I'm fairly new here too so can't really answer ur question. I would check other cappers picks n compare them to mines. Hope that helps. Lolz

AdamStock1983

Yeah I know its a grind somewhat like Baseball. I am just looking for someone I can tail all year with no NBA looming this winter I need to make some money somehow. I was looking and Maddux sports looked decent as a pay service, other than that ??? Thanks for the post though

AdamStock1983

Got a few PM but would like to hear more peoples takes on who to use and who they would recommend both free and pay

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Cap hockey yourself. Following other people is a waste of time in this sport.

You only need to know the sport well, manage your $$, and know how to spot value and you'll do just as well as anyone else.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shiznit.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

* Home advantage is overrated in hockey.
    * Never bet on a -200 (or higher) fav.
    * Focus on dogs. You can find much better value.
    * Goalie is very important.

I wish you a profitable hockey season..
    Points Awarded:

NHL Pro Capper gave Sawyer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

NHL Pro Capper
    NHL Pro Capper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    * Home advantage is overrated in hockey.
    * Never bet on a -200 (or higher) fav.
    * Focus on dogs. You can find much better value.
    * Goalie is very important.

I wish you a profitable hockey season..
    Excellent. I follow these rules as well, also:
    -watch division travel schedules, teams in the south east sometimes have to fly to Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and now also Winnipeg. They are always gased
    -US teams with lots of CDN players on them do very well vs. CDN home teams on Sat night due to national broadcast
    -Always check goalie vs top 6 players of opposing team, goalie is the key

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Home ice in hockey is not overrated at all.
    There are inherent advantages to being at home built into the rules of the game, unlike any other sport.

You get a matchup advantage with last change. You can choose to match power on power or checking line vs scoring line, etc, depending on your (and their) personnel. You can get favorable scoring matchups for your offensive stars (this is why the Sedins score a lot, 75% Offensive zone start, highest in the league). You can create bad situations for theirs, etc...

Also, you get a slight advantage in overall puck possession due to a faceoff advantage. Home team gets to put their stick on the ice last. Its not noticeable over small sample size but it leads to a slight increase in overall puck possession throughout the year at home vs away. Puck possesion leads to more goals for and less goals against in the long run.

No other sport has rules built into the game that give an inherent advantage to the home side.

Of course these advantages are not overwhelmingly large, but they are a slight edge over the long run to the home side

Also, goalie is pretty overrated to look at as long as the starters are both starting. There is a 0.014SV% difference between the best goalie in the league and the 30th best.
    Thomas on average will stop 27.66/30 shots a game
    Scott Clemmenson (career backup) will stop 27.27/30 shots a game

Overall team defense matters a lot more than goaltending at NHL level. Every goalie in the league is a really good goalie, despite what anyone says. If you can limit a team to 26 shots/game on average, you will do a lot better with Clemmenson than if you allow 30 shots a game with Thomas in net

This is why the Wings dominate year in year out with a revolving door of below average goaltenders. They built Chris Osgood a Hall of Fame worthy resume despite being, at best, average his whole career.

Edit: also, something like 80% of the league is Canadian. Every US team will have a lot of Canadians. Every Canadian team will have lots of Canadians. There is nothing to see in that stat there.
    Last edited by aznbluff; 09-24-11 at 10:56 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Tuesday, and makaveli66

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Quote Originally Posted by aznbluff View Post
    . Edit: also, something like 80% of the league is Canadian. Every US team will have a lot of Canadians. Every Canadian team will have lots of Canadians. There is nothing to see in that stat there.
    Actually that number is WAY off unless you have schizophrenia and still believe it's 1990. There's about 55% of Canadian players in the NHL (source Quanthockey.com).

The better question to ask these so-called hockey capping geniuses is whether or not they have any data to back any of the smoke they're blowin'.

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Just guessed the number yea, its pretty ridiculously high nonetheless. 55% means every team in the league is going to be mostly Canadian.

mrlegend28
    mrlegend28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 440

Goalie / Defense is first and foremost. Back to back games. Traveling. All that. I live in Toronto so I breathe hockey. I am going to hopefully handicap this year. I can bet the Leafs well. Im a fan but I know when to bet against them. Hopefully I'll help people win some money this year

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9147

How much notice do you guys take of teams on winning/losing streaks in NHL?

Seems to have been a lot of teams that went on longish streaks last year. (my first year betting it)

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Quote Originally Posted by mrlegend28 View Post
    Goalie / Defense is first and foremost. Back to back games. Traveling. All that. I live in Toronto so I breathe hockey. I am going to hopefully handicap this year. I can bet the Leafs well. Im a fan but I know when to bet against them. Hopefully I'll help people win some money this year
    Bet against them often, they blow.

sfi50
    sfi50's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 420

alot said with nothing being said oh well so is sports handicapping