DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

DG's 2011-2012 NHL Picks

Figured I would set up my thread for the upcoming season seeing as pre-season is only a couple weeks away now

I will probably dabble a bit in preseason this year as well if I see some lines I like. Had a disappointing year last year but still managed to come out ahead thankfully.

To those who are regulars, welcome back and to those people who are new welcome. I am a hockey fanatic and have been betting hockey fairly seriously over the last two seasons. I know the league inside and out and that has been both an asset and a detriment to me at times I have killed half the homer inside myself but am still prone to picking my Canucks way too often.

I have learned a lot over the last two seasons and really have high hopes for myself this year. I will probably be cutting down on my total volume of plays this year as I think I picked way too many games last year. I doubled my total volume of plays from 2009-2010 to 2010-2011 and it showed in my overall stats so I will probably be somewhere between 300-600 total plays this year.

Here are my overall stats in the last two seasons for those interested:

FINAL 2009-2010 NHL 229-174-8 (56.82%) $5106.64
    FINAL 2010-2011 NHL 446-438-26 (50.45%) $1040.00

My betting size is usually between 1-5 units. Each unit for me is to win $100 on favorites and $100 straight on dogs.

Ex:
    VAN (-120) (Would be $120 to win $100)
    FLA (+125) (Would be $100 to win $125)

I am on Twitter if that's more convenient for anyone who wants to follow me throughout the season. My name on there is SonicTILT

My only goal for the year is to make $5,000+. It's a realistic figure and definitely doable. Ideally I would like to hit 55%+ but I know this can be tough over a long season especially when picking some ugly dogs throughout the year as well as a high overall volume of plays.

I feel most comfortable on totals as opposed to ML's and PL's but I will have a good mix this year. I will probably bet a few futures before the season starts as well as some player props on a weekly basis. If you are gonna follow me I recommend you get a book that has regulation (-0.5) bets. I use a lot of these to eliminate chalk and get some good value on favorites. Live betting can also be very profitable when picking your spots so if you can get a book with both of these it will be easier to follow all of my plays.

35 days and closing to the start of the regular season and only a couple weeks until pre-season starts. GL to everyone this season, let's have some fun and make some money

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

Can't wait for the new season! Good luck this year! Ill definitely be a regular here!

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Soooo looking forward to this season Dennis. I will be here all the way through.

GO JETS GO!

SlimZ
    SlimZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8320

Cant wait been itching like a bitch for this season too start

OnTheRise23
    OnTheRise23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1850

GL this season man. Looking forward to it.

Just Enough
    Just Enough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3119

My man DG. Good luck this year brotha. Can't wait. By the way, nice avatar. Lawrie is a beast!!!! Glad I drafted him in my fantasy baseball league.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Just Enough View Post
    My man DG. Good luck this year brotha. Can't wait. By the way, nice avatar. Lawrie is a beast!!!! Glad I drafted him in my fantasy baseball league.
    Same to you my friend. Hope we both get off to better starts this year. As for Lawrie yeah man I absolutely love the guy. He's Canadian, he plays with unreal passion and he is beasting for me in fantasy baseballs. What a pick up

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Thanks all for the well wishes also, good luck to everyone this year. Looking forward to some hockey again

815Sox
    815Sox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Really looking forward to it DG! I haven't been here in awhile, but I have to tell you that your Canucks totally shocked me. They were my preseason Cup winning pick and I am a Hawks fan, so it was a little hard for me to pick. I don't really get into the Rivalry stuff as much though.

Hope the baby is doing well! I am about to become an uncle for the first time and am pretty excited.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by 815Sox View Post
    Really looking forward to it DG! I haven't been here in awhile, but I have to tell you that your Canucks totally shocked me. They were my preseason Cup winning pick and I am a Hawks fan, so it was a little hard for me to pick. I don't really get into the Rivalry stuff as much though. Hope the baby is doing well! I am about to become an uncle for the first time and am pretty excited.
    Yeah I was impressed with the Nucks season but am still pretty bitter with the way they went out. Those games in Boston were pathetic, they had their asses handed to them. I'm hoping Luongo tears his ACL pretty quick here so Schneider can take the #1 job for good

Congrats on becoming an Uncle soon! My kid is doing well, 7 months now. Time truly flies by and it's great being a parent. Can't wait until he's old enough to skate, I will be building him an ice rink in our backyard for sure

815Sox
    815Sox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

My dad built my sisters and I an ice rink every year. Complete with a goal as well so I could go work on my game. Lots of fun, my friends and teammates and I had some pretty fun games out there.

I thought the Canucks would trade Lou or Schneider this offseason, surprised they haven't. I would have kept Corey as the starter and moved Lou somewhere. There is always some team that is willing to pick up a contract in the NHL. Teams had to spend money in the off-season so they were looking for thos big contracts.

julio_cat
    julio_cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Good luck this season, hopefully you will start strong.

Any contest either by you or xxx for this season?

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by 815Sox View Post
    My dad built my sisters and I an ice rink every year. Complete with a goal as well so I could go work on my game. Lots of fun, my friends and teammates and I had some pretty fun games out there.

I thought the Canucks would trade Lou or Schneider this offseason, surprised they haven't. I would have kept Corey as the starter and moved Lou
    somewhere. There is always some team that is willing to pick up a contract in the NHL. Teams had to spend money in the off-season so they were looking for those big contracts.
    Florida was the perfect fit I thought. He
    used to play there, his wife lives there, Florida has no goalie. I'm sure Lou wouldn't agree to go to a non contender though.

I will be pissed if they end up trading Schneider though. Hopefully we can
    unload Lou for anything. I would take draft picks at this point just to clear some salary space to let us get a couple more elite forwards.

Never gonna happen though

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by julio_cat View Post
    Good luck this season, hopefully you will start strong.

Any contest either by you or xxx for this season?
    I was planning on opening a POD contest through SBR. Would only be ML, PL and totals bets but it would be 0 work compared to how hard it is to keep up with a POD thread on your own.

I personally just don't have the time to do all the record keeping myself anymore but hey if xxx ends up wanting to take on the workload by all means I would join.

Jempa
    Jempa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2232

Hey DG, welcome back for a brand new season. Looking forward to your picks, even though the first half of last season didn't go swell we'll make the best of it.

Have you done any backtracking from last season? I recall you making some analysis of your bets before last season. Thinking of the 1st period bets and grand salamis, TT's and parlays. Maybe filter some of them out.

Anyways, good look this season, will be following closely as always even though I don't tend to post too much.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Jempa View Post
    Hey DG, welcome back for a brand new season. Looking forward to your picks, even though the first half of last season didn't go swell we'll make the best of it.

Have you done any backtracking from last season? I recall you making some analysis of your bets before last season. Thinking of the 1st period bets and grand salamis, TT's and parlays. Maybe filter some of them out.

Anyways, good look this season, will be following closely as always even though I don't tend to post too
    much.
    I was gonna backtrack but I made close to 1000 plays last year, about double from the previous year so i really don't think I'll be doing it again this year as it would take a good 10-12 hours I think

gigicash
    gigicash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    I was gonna backtrack but I made close to 1000 plays last year, about double from the previous year so i really don't think I'll be doing it again this year as it would take a good 10-12 hours I think
    : DG, I know what you mean - more plays = more fun but It's exhausting! You go nuts, and when you can't afford to take a break, you lose focus and sh** happens. It only takes one day to screw up your whole week lol we all know how it is. I'll be cutting down on my plays too, for sure.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by gigicash View Post
    : DG, I know what you mean - more plays = more fun but It's exhausting! You go nuts, and when you can't afford to take a break, you lose focus and sh** happens. It only takes one day to screw up your whole week lol we all know how it is. I'll be cutting down on my plays too, for sure.
    Definitely brother. I had 3-5 plays daily
    and I know you did as well most of the time

Just so much time and effort is needed. I'm definitely gonna cut down this year and be more selective. I became way too much of a degenerate last year
    forcing action at times.

Glad to have you back for the new season, good luck this year

mike-dub
    mike-dub's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 530

i followed a few of your plays last season but unfortunately my book didnt offer all of the same plays (some player props, regulation wins...) and ive been too busy to start a new one. but ill be here, watching my canucks give it another go
    best of luck this season and i hope your 5k comes early!

pagodo
    @
    pagodo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2102

Bookmarked!

Good luck, DennisGreen, looking forward to some nice NHL profit over the winter.

Respect, sir

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Totally forgot preseason started today

One play for me tonight to get the ball rolling on the new season.

OTT/TOR Over 5.5 (-115)

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Holy crap, didn't know you bet preseason. I didn't get this game in, oh well.

I made a bet today at work that the Jets will make the playoffs.

Galego
    Galego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

Good luck!!!

Some good cappers going on the Over!!

Maybe I jump on it!!

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Don't have a play on the game, but nice to see Karlsson is still a gigantic liability on the ice. I love how the public think he's going to be a star defenseman for years to come too.

Galego
    Galego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

Great call!!! Thanks for the play!!

TomJSports
    Go Bayern!!!
    TomJSports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Karlsson will be a great defenseman, but probably more like a really good #2. He was great at Frölunda, especially for being small. Last year's 'good play' was by Ottawa standards (i.e. low) and was a bit of an aberration, I doubt he'll be worthy of a top-pairing spot until his mid 20s, maybe 23, 24.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mike-dub View Post
    i followed a few of your plays last season but unfortunately my book didnt offer all of the same plays (some player props, regulation wins...) and ive been too busy to start a new one. but ill be here, watching my canucks give it another go best of luck this season and i hope your 5k comes early!
    Quote Originally Posted by pagodo View Post
    Bookmarked! Good luck, DennisGreen, looking forward to some nice NHL profit over the winter. Respect, sir
    TY kind sirs.

Quote Originally Posted by xraygord View Post
    Holy crap, didn't know you bet preseason. I didn't get this game in, oh well. I made a bet today at work that the Jets will make the playoffs.
    You homer! I guess ATL was close the last few years and having a real fan base and a packed arena may help the Jets sneak in. Can't wait to watch opening night in the Peg.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by aznbluff View Post
    Don't have a play on the game, but nice to see Karlsson is still a gigantic liability on the ice. I love how the public think he's going to be a star defenseman for years to come too.
    I heard the hype about Karlsson and believed it until I watched a few Sens games last year. He coughed up the puck a lot but gotta cut the guy some slack he's still young. What he brings offensively to the table overshadows his blunders.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJSports View Post
    Karlsson will be a great defenseman, but probably more like a really good #2. He was great at Frölunda, especially for being small. Last year's 'good play' was by Ottawa standards (i.e. low) and was a bit of an aberration, I doubt he'll be worthy of a top-pairing spot until his mid 20s, maybe 23, 24.
    Definitely tough to really become an elite defenceman until 23+ these days. He will be a mainstay on the Sens blue line for years to come though.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Galego View Post
    Great call!!! Thanks for the play!!
    No problem

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Totally forgot preseason started today One play for me tonight to get the ball rolling on the new season. OTT/TOR Over 5.5 (-115)
    Good start to the pre-season
    Pre-Season Record
    1-0 +$100

A ton of action tomorrow I will likely have a play or two.
    Points Awarded:

pagodo gave DennisGreen 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

pagodo
    @
    pagodo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2102

I'll be dropping points and a kind word from time to time, great pick, thank you

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Tuesday Preseason Play

CAL -0.5 (-117)

-With the Flames dressing half their regulars compared to just a couple 3rd and 4th liners for the Canucks the Flames should roll tonight. The Flames are dressing both their regular goalies as well whereas the Canucks won't have Luongo or Schneider. The Flames will want to win this one for their fans even though it's a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things. Calgary seems to be dressing their team to win while the Canucks are simply giving depth guys a look in an audition for their bottom few roster spots. -200 ML or -117 in regulation, I'll take the Flames in regulation.

Bo$$ Bet$
    Bo$$ Bet$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Not seeing this on 5dimes? +:clueless

FlaxMartin
    FlaxMartin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5146

Looking forward to a wonderful season :=)

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Bo$$ Bet$ View Post
    Not seeing this on 5dimes? +:clueless
    I could only find it on bwin. Wasn't up earlier on Bet365 or 5 dimes. No idea
    Points Awarded:

Bo$$ Bet$ gave DennisGreen 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

1234 ... Last