DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8430

Former Canuck Rick Rypien is dead

Former Canuck Rick Rypien is dead

Former Vancouver Canuck forward Rick Rypien, 27, is dead. Alberta RCMP spokesman Sgt. Patrick Webb told The Province police attended a home in Coleman, Alberta, at 12:30 p.m. Monday, after a man was found deceased.
    Rypien's death is not considered suspicious and has been deemed a sudden death.
    Rypien had recently signed on with the Winnipeg Jets.
    His had a reputation as a tenacious fighting foward, who often beat down larger opponents.
    Last season as a Canuck he was suspended for lashing out at an opposing fan. He then took a leave of absence for personal reasons.
    Rypien did not have drug problems but is believed to have suffered from depression.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-16-15 at 12:04 PM. Reason: image does not exist

DwightShrute

DwightShrute

Vancouver Canucks statement on the passing of Rick Rypien

Monday, 15.08.2011 / 10:50 PM / News
    Vancouver Canucks

Rypien Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks issued the following statement today in regards to the passing of Rick Rypien: “It is with tremendous sadness that the Vancouver Canucks confirm the passing of Rick Rypien. Rick has been a beloved member of the Canucks family for the past six years. Rick was a great teammate and friend to our players, coaches and staff. We send our deepest condolences to the Rypien family at this most difficult time.”
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-16-15 at 12:04 PM. Reason: image does not exist

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

isnt he the guy who attacked a fan in minnesota last year?

DwightShrute

I am not sure

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

R.I.P. Rypien.

His last game was in Minny when he grabbed that fan and he didn't play another game after that.

He just couldn't figure his shit out I guess. Pretty sure this will be similar to Boogard's death in terms of cause.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

More sad news in the hockey world

God bless his soul.

Vicarious
    Vicarious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    isnt he the guy who attacked a fan in minnesota last year?
    yeap, that's him

Dharmonize
    Aces!
    Dharmonize's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9427

Too young to die. Sad, very sad. May his soul find peace

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

RIP Rick Rypien

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Have a feeling there's some new trend (particularly with the tough guys) to mix alcohol and some type of downers. Obviously the dude was troubled but between him, Boogey, Probert, etc it makes me re-think stuff as far as head trauma and whatnot. Pretty sad at 28 and hopefully the newer generation will make some "advancements" whatever that may mean.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Had to do something with drugs. A professional athlete doesn't just die randomly due to health issues, somethings not right here. I mean of course it can happen, anything can happen, but its not likely. This guy had the life and if it had to do something with drugs than I have no sympathy.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

They say he suffered from depression. I suspect a suicide.

He was absent for months for "personal reasons". Thats not something you see on NHL injury reports.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    Had to do something with drugs. A professional athlete doesn't just die randomly due to health issues, somethings not right here. I mean of course it can happen, anything can happen, but its not likely. This guy had the life and if it had to do something with drugs than I have no sympathy.
    EJ McGuire once told me that NHL fighters don't like to fight. I had the most difficult time making sense of this statement. He explained to me that they are hockey players first and want to be the ones scoring the goals playing 20 minutes a game. Instead they are only looked at to fight because that's what they're good at.

It doesn't surprise me that a higher majority of NHL tough guys use/abuse drugs/alcohol. It also doesn't surprise me that some of them are depressed and not all that content with their life. They just want to play hockey and not be looked at as only being able to fight.

I sympathize whether drugs were involved or not.